“A Nice Place Overall” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 12 Hotels in Columbia
Cherry Hill, New Jersey
“A Nice Place Overall”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

We had a very good experience here. This hotel is in a newer suburban setting with office buildings and condo and town homes in the direct vicinity. The grounds were nice and kept free of litter as we drove in and parked. Check in was easy and courteous.
We walked into the room and it was nicely furnished. We had a king sized bed with nightstands on each side. There was a sticky note posted on the headboard which read something to the effect that the sheets and comforter were clean for our arrival. The room was nicely decorated. Amenities included a coffee pot, refrigerator and microwave. It also had a 3 cushioned full couch which could be turned into a sleeper bed with a large comfortable foot/sitting stool in front of it in lieu of a coffee table. An LG flat screen (analog) was fairly large and had a good picture and sound.There was a desk and chair. The carpet seemed nice and up to date. The bathroom was nice as well. It had the rounded shower pole for more room and no ugly caulk around the shower/bath tub combo. The sink area was the open vanity type with a framed mirror. It was attractive and the bath overall was clean. They provided ample towels, washcloths and hand towels.
We only encountered a few employees. The desk clerks were nice and polite. The lady taking care of the breakfast room was nice, humorous and courteous as well.
The hotel provides free WiFi and it was easy enough to get on-line through their internet service.
The breakfast was complimentary for all guests staying there and they had a pleasant dining room with a myriad of sitting to eat options.They offered an extensive breakfast buffet which was slightly better than most and usually these are very nice. My partner took exception to the scrambled eggs which I was told were rubbery. I didn't have them so that is hearsay. I did have the potatoes and bacon which I thought were good. They had cut up fruit salad in a huge bowl along with fresh apples, oranges and bananas by themselves in bowls throughout the dining room and buffet table. There were cold cereals along with warm ones, 2% milk and fat free, and a plethora of breakfast breads you could toast and bakery items. I usually stay away from pancakes and waffles which you have to make in a somewhat automatic machine. They didn't offer pancakes here, but I saw many people with the waffles and they were large and looked good. Two kinds of yogurt were being kept cool in a bowl with ice. There were three juices and I think 4 different coffees. The coffee service is provided all day long. In addition to the coffees there was hot chocolate and teas as well. .
The only trouble we encountered were some noisy and boisterous guests in the hallway who didn't seem to want to close their door, but let it slam shut. We assumed these were several rooms/guests who were meeting outside of their rooms at the same time to leave the hotel. This was around 5-6PM and we were trying to nap. This seemed to be the only time we heard other guests outside of our room. Maybe the hotel needs to put some rubber stoppers along the door to "catch" it.
When we checked in the desk advised us of a grill restaurant within walking distance which turned out very well for us. (The Greystone Grill) We were told we could get 15% off by showing our hotel key card, and we did and got the 15% off of our food/bar bill. This isn't a "grill" like a diner but a more upscale restaurant. That's another review!
So the Hampton Inn Columbia was a very nice stay for us overall and we would stay there again if the opportunity arose.

Room Tip: Away from the elevators and vending machines which are in open hallways or alcoves. The desk actuall...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars
Raymond H, General Manager at Hampton Inn Columbia, responded to this review, February 12, 2013
Dear GreenWrangler:

It was wonderful to have you here and we are all so delighted you enjoyed your stay! I am so glad you found the accommodations pleasing and the staff friendly and courteous. The Grey Stone Grill is a great place to dine and very convenient as well so it was great to hear you had a good meal and with a discount as well! Please come back and see us again soon. If there is anything we can ever assist you with to enhance your stay even more, just let us know. We are here to serve! You are much appreciated here at Hampton Columbia!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Pottstown, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

I travel a lot for work, and I am picky about where I stay when I'm not home. This hotel made me feel right at home from the moment I walked in the door. The front desk staff were very polite and knowledgeable about the places to go for dinner, and the maintenance guy was quick to point out the best room location for my needs. The room was very clean, and the bed made for a great night’s sleep. I have made several return trips to Columbia over the past few months, and every time I do I stay at this hotel. It may not be the closest hotel to my client's site, but it is the closest to being home without actually being home. I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone staying in the Columbia, MD area.

Room Tip: The hot water comes from the end of the building furthest from the elevators, so those showers get h...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Jim T
Raymond H, General Manager at Hampton Inn Columbia, responded to this review, February 6, 2013
Dear Jim T:

It was Great to hear we made you feel at home as that is our goal for all of our guests! There is no place like home so when are guests are here, we strive to make their stay a memorable one! We much appreciate you the taking the time to write about your experience. We were all so delighted you enjoyed your stay. Please come back and see us again soon. If there is anything we can ever assist you with, please let us know! Have a wonderful week!
Carbondale, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

This Hotel was very clean and the breakfast was very good as well. Worked nightshift and the staff made sure we had our rooms as an early check-in. Used the pool twice while there it was nice and warm and very refreshing. Rooms very comfortable with great comfortable beds. plan on staying there again when back in the area. Thanks Again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Barry R
Raymond H, General Manager at Hampton Inn Columbia, responded to this review, February 1, 2013
Hello Barry R:

Thank you so much for your comments and we are all so delighted you had a great stay. We are just as excited that you will be coming back to see us! If there is anything the staff or myself can do to enhance your stay even more the next time you are here, just let us know. You are much appreciated here at Hampton Columbia! Enjoy your upcoming weekend!
Clarksville, Tennessee
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

The hotel was fine for accommodations and service. The only issue that I had was that I was lied to on rates when making reservations. When I made the reservation in DEC 2012 for a stay JAN 15-18, I realized that the rate they quoted was above my authorized per diem for Federal Government. The manager explained that the per diem rate for that area was increasing to the new amount on 1 JAN. I booked, stayed, and paid their new amount. When doing my expense report on 20 JAN, I realized that the per diem rate had not gone up for Columbia - exactly the same as it was in 2012. I contacted the hotel manager and got a completely different story. He tried to tell me that the issue was that their allotment of government rate room were sold out and I was charged the normal rate. Then he would not reimburse me the difference. Rest assured, I will not stay at this hotel again and probably not at any Hampton Inn based on the way I was treated during this issue.
On a high note - the front desk and maintenance personnel are exceptional and responsive. Management could learn from them

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 stars
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 3 of 5 stars
    • 3 of 5 stars
    • 4 of 5 stars
Raymond H, General Manager at Hampton Inn Columbia, responded to this review, January 26, 2013
Hello Tony R:

Thank you so much for stayng with us and it was certainly our pleasure to have you here. I was so pleased you enjoyed the accomadations and service we were able to provide to you! I did speak with the Sales Manager you spoke with regarding the conversation you had with him and confirmed when you made the reservation, there were no rooms available at the government per diem rate when you booked the reservation. I apologize that there seems to be a misunderstanding regarding the conversation that you had with him and I would love the opportunity to discuss it with you. Please contact me at your earliest convenience. I look forward to speaking with you soon! Again, thank you so much for staying with us and we all look forward to welcoming you back to Hampton Inn Columbia!
Bristow, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

I found everyone working at this hotel delightfully friendly and accommodating. I like Hampton Inns in general because of the free wireless and free breakfast, and my stay at this particular Hampton Inn cemented the loyalty I feel to the company. My room was lovely, and breakfast was plentiful and satisfying. (They really mean free breakfast here--it's not just pastries and a wafflemaker; they offer juice, cereral, pastries, and rotating options of things like scrambled eggs, omelets, breakfast meats, and often French toast sticks.) I really enjoyed being there and plan to return whenever I am seeking somewhere to stay in the vicinity.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Emerald150
Raymond H, General Manager at Hampton Inn Columbia, responded to this review, January 11, 2013
It was certainly our pleasure to have you here and we all were so delighted you enjoyed staying with us. We know breakfast is the most important meal of the day and we always want to make sure we have as many offerings available for our guests to enjoy! Come back and see us again soon. We so much appreciate you allowing us to serve you and we all look forward to your return! You are much appreciated here at Hampton Inn Columbia!
Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

The Hampton Inn was clean and the staff very friendly. The only issue we has was the toilet broke, we notified the staff and it was repaired very quickly. We were not in the room when they came, but they left a very nice note apologizing for the issue and even left us some treats for us. I would stay there again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

I was so glad to read you enjoyed your stay and wanted to say a big "Thank You" for choosing us! We always want to make sure when our guest reports an issue with their room, we take care if it immediately and I was glad to learn we handled and resolved your issue to your satisfaction. The treats and letter left in the room is our way of saying thanks for staying with us and giving us the opportunity to serve you! Please come back and see us again and let us know if there is anything we can ever do to enhance your stay with us the next time you decide to visit us again!
Cambridge, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013 via mobile

Rooms- The rooms are just amazingly clean. The bathrooms are spacious and provide with any kits you may need in the front desk. We had a double room. The beds were large and very comfortable. There are outlets everywhere which was great for us as we were each traveling with at least 3 electronic pieces each and have trouble plugging in. The room was stylishly decorated and ample. The room had a fridge and a microwave as well as a nice coffee area. Overall it was a pleasure
Location- we were going to spend the day in dc. The hotel is about 30 min from the city which was convenient
Service- don't have much to say as we were there only one night. The free breakfast was great! There was a lot of choice and the dining staff was friendly and helpful.

• Stayed December 2012
1 Thank Natalia R
Raymond H, General Manager at Hampton Inn Columbia, responded to this review, January 2, 2013
Thank you so much for your feedback and we all loved having you at our hotel. I am so pleased you enjoyed your stay and we all hope you will be returning soon to the area and look forward to having you stay with us again. If there is anything we can ever assist you with, please let us know. Enjoy the New Year and thank you again for giving us the opportunity to serve you.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Columbia
Hampton Inn & Suites Columbia / South
DoubleTree by Hilton Columbia
Homewood Suites by Hilton Columbia
Sonesta ES Suites Columbia
Sheraton Columbia Town Center Hotel
Hilton Garden Inn Columbia

Been to Hampton Inn Columbia? Share your experiences!