“Seems Like Nice Long Stay Hotel” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Sonesta ES Suites Columbia

Sonesta ES Suites Columbia
Ranked #6 of 12 Hotels in Columbia
Guam, Mariana Islands
“Seems Like Nice Long Stay Hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2009

Booked this hotel with Priority Club points for quickie business trip to Baltimore. New-ish hotel about 15 minutes from BWI Airport. Good location off freeway with tricky exit location.

Hotel is economy "long stay" type hotel, with kitchenette and good working area. Hotel did not seem that busy but I was there on a weekend. Nice inside courtyard room (usually not too excited about ground floor rooms) but seemed like quiet and safe neighborhood.

Room was comfortable, plenty of water pressure in shower, and internet worked well.

Only drawback was poor satellite television and older-style televisions that now "cut off" a lot of the HD pictures. Another potential problem was noise from inside the hotel and adjoining rooms (above).

One other annoyance was that hotel charged my credit card for the night despite my paying for the room with Priority Club points. Found the charge on my credit card two weeks later. Hotel quickly reversed, but disappointed internal controls allowed this overcharge to occur.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Falmouth
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2009

Clean, comfortable, friendly Management & staff - perfect for the last night of our touring holiday. As priority club members we thought the little goody bag was a nice touch. The only thing that was not good were the directions & we struggled to find it but we had been travelling all day so it was partly our fault as we were tired. As a smoker it was nice to be given a smoking room as so many places are non-smoking these days.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
San Diego, CA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2009

Hotel is in a good location, but the manager is not professional. Gave us an ADA room and lied to us that there are no more rooms available when we asked to be moved to another room. We called the toll free number to see if the hotel had rooms available...they had several rooms available...essentially the manager was lying. Moreover, every time we tried to call the front desk they would simply hangup the phone.

Perhaps the staff here needs Hospitality 101 lessons. There are several other hotels in the area....I would not recommend this one to anyone, unless they change the managers or train them first.

Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Sai500
pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2009

The hotel has a number of positives--large rooms, small but pleasant pool, decent breakfast, but our room was extremely tired looking and the housekeeping was poor. I am not normally that picky, but when we checked into our room, the carpet had not been completely vacuumed and there were some dirty splotches in the bathroom and kitchen. The next day, housekeeping threw out the shampoo in the shower and didn't replace it. The third day, the beds were made poorly and the waste basket in one of the rooms was not emptied. There are lots of hotels in Columbia and I would be inclined to try a different one next time.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 2 of 5 stars
Midwest
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2009

The rooms are a bit larger than most hotels, which for a business traveler is very important. I love the actual size fridge! The towels are so plush and comfortable (probably my favorite thing about the hotel). The tv's aren't programmed correctly, so some channels never come up unless selected, but that's a small pet peve. The exercise room is convenient, but the equipment is way outdated. The free laundry is AMAZING. The morning manager, a woman with dark hair, is wonderful. So friendly and accommodating! There are a few members of the staff who have been nice. The one bad experience I had was with a younger man working during the evening shift. Not only did I witness him being rude to the customer in front of me, but he was rude to me as well. Something that was the hotel's fault, he was unapologetic for, blaming me and the guest for our issues. I also can hear other guests slamming their doors and walking around quite often. If there's noise in the hallway, you'll hear it in your room. Other than that incident, I really can't complain about the Staybridge!

• Stayed March 2009, traveled on business
Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2009

Just had a large affair and we booked a block of rooms at the Staybridge for the out of town guests. Everyone that I asked had nice things to say about the hotel. I can tell you that the staff was very pleasant and easy to deal with throughout the process. Will certainly use them again.....

• Stayed March 2009
Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2008

Just returned from attending a wedding in Columbia. Shout out to T'aneisha, who dealt with MY oversight with manners and grace. (I forgot I was booked for 2 nights, was a no show for Night One, and when I arrived for Night Two after lunch..they had rented out my room since they had no idea where I was.) In other words, I was liable for a night's charge and on shaky ground to get a room at all. Staff very graciously examined their almost full house and found us a very good situation --nicer frankly than we deserved, but since many members of the wedding were in the hotel, they overlooked our blunder.
Not only that, I am a princess with a pea sleeper. Staybridge Columbia now has great pillows and comfy bedding. The breakfast was several notches better than the competition for "included continental" and wireless is free and functional throughout the place, parking is free.
Yes, Columbia is a planned community and therefore a bit sterile....every detail is intentional and "themed" in this suburb, signs are smaller and regulated so you must get the directions if you expect to find the hotels easily.
However, this is a well run property with an excellent location and I highly recommend it.

• Liked — Room amenities, wireless internet free, mannerly front desk.
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
      Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank scottries
Also consider these accommodations in or near Columbia
Hampton Inn & Suites Columbia / South
4.5 of 5 stars 370 reviews
Homewood Suites by Hilton Columbia
Sheraton Columbia Town Center Hotel
Hilton Garden Inn Columbia

Been to Sonesta ES Suites Columbia? Share your experiences!