New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of Sonesta ES Suites Columbia

Sonesta ES Suites Columbia
Ranked #6 of 12 Hotels in Columbia
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“All the amenities for a family”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2013

I booked this room for my sister and her family who came to visit me for vacation. I booked a two bedroom suite. There was enough space for everyone, including a separate room for the teens and their own bathroom.The suite had a kitchenette that included a stove top, microwave, fridge, and a dishwasher. The kitchen had all the amenities needed to cook and a grocery store was just around the corner for groceries. Every morning there's free breakfast also. They were able to save a lot of money since they can just head downstairs for breakfast each morning before heading into baltimore, DC, or the mall and come home and cook a meal in the evening. There's also free dinner on the weekdays (tues-thurs) but they had checked out of the room by then and never tried it. On the last day my sister had to do laundry which was available downstairs on the main floor. They loved the room, the hotel, and the front desk staff. I initially had a problem with a request when I checked in but they were very helpful in straightening everything out. Would recommend for a family on a budget.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
Ada, Michigan, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2013

This is my third time staying here and will probably become my "home away from home" whenever I return to my former home town. Had a two-bedroom suite which gave everyone privacy and yet had a nice common area to gather together. Great location next to highways but away from the city congestion and noise. The hot breakfast is better than normal and they offer evening snacks (which we never were there for). This is an older establishment under new ownership/management and I can see lots of improvements over the previous chain ownership. Loved the full-sized kitchen. The staff was very efficient and friendly. The lobby, outside and our room were all well taken care of.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars
DGreen8844, General Manager at Sonesta ES Suites Columbia, responded to this review, February 6, 2014
Thank you for your recent review of the Sonesta ES Suites Columbia. I am happy to hear that we met your expectations and I am grateful you chose to spend your time with us. I look forward to welcoming you back when you are back in the area.
McDonough, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013

Was in town for a family reunion in early August . This hotel was a pretty good pick. It's not brand spanking new, but it's still pretty nice. The front desk folks were nice. When we checked in, they were serving food along with beer and wine. Nothing extravagant, but still good. They offered breakfast as well. Had free Wi-fi also. I would stay here again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
San Diego, CA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013

The lobby area was neat and clean but the room was less than impressive. Old, dirty carpets, old furniture, bathroom average and not that clean. And, I was on the first level so throughout the night I had someone on the 2nd floor walking around and it was hard to sleep. The parking is easy but my room was facing a back area and I felt a bit uneasy about being so close to the ground where someone could walk back there. I definately would give this 2 stars or maybe 2.5 at best

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank jennifer s
Newton, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

We stayed at this hotel on our way home from Charleston S.C. We booked it thru hotwire and didn't have any idea what we were going to get. We were pleasantly surprised. Our room was very large with a nice fully stocked (plates, glasses etc.) kitchen area with a full size fridge and microwave.
The bath room was also nice and large. The whole place was spotless. Even the grounds were kept very beautiful. The pool looked nice, but it was raining the whole time we were there. I might have given this place a 4 star, but it really was much nicer than the typical Hotel/motel.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Strasburg, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

My grandson and I took a trip to Baltimore in August 2013. The rooms there were too expensive for me to be able to afford a two night stay but through Living Social I was able to acquire a room at this very pleasant establishment.

Not only was there a small kitchen with a near oven/stove, here was fridge, microwave and a dishwasher. Never did we eat on paper, from plastic, or drink from Styrofoam while in our room.

The staff was friendly, the room was clean and comfortable and the amenities were abundant. We swam in the outdoor pool and played basketball while our more savvy neighbors grilled their food on the oversized gas grills provided in the courtyard.

We didn't want to leave and can't wait to go back.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars
DGreen8844, General Manager at Sonesta ES Suites Columbia, responded to this review, September 24, 2013
Thank you for your recent review of the Sonesta ES Suites Columbia. I am glad that we meet your expectations. I look forward to welcoming you back when you are back in the area.
Annapolis, Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2013

I booked a room here for a last minute weekend getaway. I was pleasantly surprised how clean our room was. Full sized fridge in the kitchen was nice. The facility is severely outdated, but if you’re looking for a place to just shower and sleep I would recommend it. The staff was very friendly and was able to direct us to various restaurants within a 10 minute drive.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms near the elevator!