“Nice Hotel for Family Getaway” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Sonesta ES Suites Columbia

Sonesta ES Suites Columbia
Ranked #6 of 12 Hotels in Columbia
Cumberland, Maryland
“Nice Hotel for Family Getaway”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

My daughter and I stayed her for another softball tournment. Conveniently located right of Rt. 100. Hotel was clean and inviting. The lobby was small and could get crowded around check-in time. Breakfast area and sitting area was very nice and fairly spacious. The pool area was very nice. Outdoor pool was great for the kids. Parents could sit and relax and have a few drinks. They had a very nice gazebo with two gas grills for guests to use. Nice basketball court for the kids. The hallways were fairly warm, as was the breakfast area. Breakfast was good and options varied each day. Our room was great. Two bedroom suite. One with two full beds and one with a Queen bed. There was also a sleeper sofa in the living room area. Each bedroom had it's own seperate bathroom. Kitchenette was nice, but no pots or pans to use and no silverware. Turn the ice machine on in the fridge as soon as you get there since the hotel does not have ice machines. Very comfortable beds. My daughter said she could live there as an apartment. I would definitely stay again. Friends stayed in another room. They got the room right next to the elevator. They did not enjoy their experience as much since they heard the elevator all night long.

Room Tip: Pull in front to check-in and unload your luggage. Once you get settled in your room park your car...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank John W
DGreen8844, General Manager at Sonesta ES Suites Columbia, responded to this review, July 31, 2013
Thank you for yor time and review of the Sonesta ES Suites Columbia. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay while here for the softball tournament. I look forward to welcoming you back when you are in the area.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
Tampa, Florida, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013

This hotel is nice, clean, and the room was more than I expected. They had complimentary breakfast that was amazing cooked with a huge variety of options. Everyone on staff was nice and helpful. I would recommend this hotel to anyone because of its great service!

Room Tip: All the rooms are nice, but the room with a living room kitchen and then two separate bedrooms that...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars
Thanks for your time reviewing the Sonesta ES Suites Columbia. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay. We look forward to your returning to the hotel again.
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

We were pleasantly surprise, the staff is professional and ready to help. The rooms are spacious and clean, the breakfast is amazing, it was a good deal for the price we paid. Definetely we go back there again

• 4 of 5 stars
Thank you for taking the time to review the Sonesta ES Suites Columbia. We are so pleased that you enjoyed your stay and look forward to you staying with us again.
OH
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013

This place is fantastic. We stayed here on our visit to Baltimore because the rooms were much cheaper than staying downtown. We stayed in a 2 bedroom, 2 bath suite and it was perfect. We also enjoyed the free breakfast in the morning, which included waffles. The pool was nice and the kids also enjoyed using the basketball court.

Hyattsville, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

Older hotel with very friendly, pleasant staff at front desk, evening reception and breakfast. Place is off the Main Road in somewhat of an Industrial/Office Building area. My stay was quiet and pleasant. An approximate 10 minute walk to a Shopping Center with Giant Supermarket, Baskin Robbins, Bakery, Dunkin Donuts and Convenience store. Parking is plentiful around the back of the hotel. Pool is small and closes at 9pm. Pool towels (mostly worn) are available in storage bin on side of pool. Oops! I almost forgot they DO allow smoking in the pool area. SOO my family and I solved that issue by moving to the other end from the smokers. Neither checked out nor used the gym facilities. Equipment for basketball and tennis are available at front desk. The "Sport area" appears to serve as a court for both sports(at least the time I was there). Evening reception offers beer, wine and a light dinner served on Tues thru Thurs (as many Suite type hotels do); with menu changing daily. Access to coffee and tea in common area most of the day/night. Ample selection of creamers, sweeteners etc. Room was older (needed to lift door to close) but clean, with comfortable and ample bedding for pullout bed and towels. Bathroom was also clean and toiletries were in larger sizes than most hotels offer. You actually had enough shampoo and conditioner to effectively "wash" your hair. Many television channels to choose from as: HBO, Discovery, Cartoon Network, Disney, Nickelodeon (if you travel with kids). The air conditioner in my 1 bedroom suite could not be adjusted and blew directly onto the bed (very cold). Then it would turn off and the room would become hot. That is the only real complaint I had. Bought Stay through online deal, and it was well worth it. Wish I was able to purchase another deal; but only allowed one. Family friendly setting. In any event; I would stay at the Sonesta ES Suites again........wonderful staff!

Linden, New Jersey
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

I didn't know what to expect with the Sonesta brand since it took over one of the hotels I would normally stay at, but since it was virtually the same hotel, I thought it couldn't be that bad.....but it was.

I was very unhappy with the hotel from the point of check-in. The person at the front desk didn't smile, it was just business as usual. Didn't even give me directions to get to my room.

The room was ok, but since I planned on cooking in the room, housekeeping was very hesitant about giving me the right size pots I needed. There is usually a selection of sizes, but there were only small pots in this room and when I asked for a larger pot, I had to go through 2 different attendants just to communicate what I needed and although they accommodated me, it was with much hesitation.

The toilet in the room overflowed each day I was there. The front desk sent someone to the room to plunge the toilet which helped, but by the 3rd day, I had about 2 inches of water in the bathroom and wash room area. The solution was to plunge some more and soak the water up with towels. Fortunately when the toilet overflowed, it was clean water in it!!!!

As I was leaving, I explained to the housekeeping manager what had happened and he said he was completely unaware of the overflowing of my toilet, but he wasn't a plumber and asked why didn't I turn the water off to the toilet....the nerve of him!!!!

After I checked out of the hotel, I realized about 45 minutes later that I left my Kindle Fire in the room and immediately called the hotel. Of course no one had seen it and I was told very nicely that there was nothing the hotel can do about it.

This was my 1st and last stay at the Sonesta for sure!!!!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 1 of 5 stars
    • 1 of 5 stars
Portland, OR
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

My wife and I are staying with our son in the area over an extended stay. (Ten days) I wanted a suite set up and this seemed to fit the bill. It didn't occur to me to ask what their smoking rules were on the property. To my dissatisfaction they allow smoking in the pool area, outside eating area, and common grounds. That's quite a surprise considering less than 15% of Maryland residence smoke and only 18.4% of the overall population nationally smoke. I asked the front desk agent what the policy was in regards to smoking and she stated no one has ever asked. Well, one of the main reasons I choose this property too was that it has a pool. I travel with a four year and old and it's perfectly sized for the little ones. What a let down when residence of the hotel show up and light up. Not only that but they have work being completed around the property and employees of the work crew are also lighting up. I felt extremely uncomfortable and left the facility to enjoy swimming at the Y. Be aware, yes they have complimentary breakfast and dinner (three days a week) but if spending time outside is important and you are a non-smoker you may want to look at another property.

Room Tip: Choose second or first floor, ask to be on the side opposite to the freeway. You can hear freeway tr...