“We like this place, the ceviches are great!”
Review of Azul 17 - CLOSED

Azul 17
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Columbia, Maryland
“We like this place, the ceviches are great!”
Reviewed March 4, 2014

We stop here at least once a month to satisfy our ceviche crave. They offer some that are not on the menus and have seasonal specials too. Always great food and service.

• Visited March 2014

Newark DE
“Nice place in a strip mall”
Reviewed February 25, 2014

Good tequila
Selection. Freshly prepared food with excellent service. Guacamole
Prepared table side. Very good main dishes. Fish fresh..

• Visited February 2014
Laurel, Maryland
“Delicious; It's hard to find good Mexican-ish food in MD”
Reviewed February 14, 2014

My spouse and I just ate at Azul 17. We found the restaurant to be clean and inviting with comfortable seating. The decor looked up-to-date, or at least not outdated.

We ordered sodas, an appetizer of tamales (very tasty), a plate each of enchiladas (very tasty, also), maduros, and fried ice cream (good way to finish a delicious meal). Chips and salsa (and a refill) were complimentary.

The total was about $60. Looking at the menu, an entre typically runs under $20 - pretty STANDARD for Columbia, MD, in or out of a strip mall.

Service was good, there were 3-4 other dining parties while we were there in the middle of the afternoon.

Since when does a restaurant in a strip mall have a ceiling

• Visited February 2014
Maryland
“Excellent mole!”
Reviewed January 19, 2014 via mobile

This was our first visit to Azul 17. I chose it because the menu looked promising and we were in a rut in our Mexican restaurant choices lately. The place was very open, though small, so I guess that balances out. We came in at 6:00 on a Sunday, so no problem getting a table. It did fill up more later. My husband and I both tried a classic Margarita to start. It was a bit sweet for my taste, but not obnoxiously so. The chips came out warm and crispy and the salsa was excellent. I could've eaten those all night and should've stopped earlier than I did! The waitress was helpful in choosing a different Margarita that was slightly on the spicy side, but really hit the spot. The food took a little while to come out, but we weren't in a hurry. I'm sure it was because I ordered the game hen with mole sauce. I REALLY enjoyed it. The mole was yummy. I think next time I'll get chips smothered in mole sauce! My daughter liked her chicken enchiladas and hubby enjoyed his beef enchiladas. It was on the expensive side, but a $15 Restaurant.com coupon helped take the sting off. I recommend Azul 17. The service was attentive and the food stands out over your average Mexican fare.

ELLICOTT CITY
“Great Margaritas / Mediocre Food”
Reviewed January 5, 2014 via mobile

Totally disappointed with our overall experiece. We were so hopeful after having an attentive, knowledgeable and pleasant server and enjoying the wonderful margaritas and yummy chips and salsa. It went downhill from there. Definitely overpriced, but that could have been tolerated if it meant over the top food. We tried the slow roasted pulled pork special served with radishes, red onion, fresh salsa and tortillas. Basically flavorless. We were totally taken aback by the accompanying small servings of rice and black beans...in plastic disposable tasting cups...at $25 for the entree, really, plastic throw away?!? We also had the shrimp anqd mole chili relleno. They mix shrimp, egg and cheese and stuff this mixture in the pepper. The resulting flavor and consistency just didn't make the grade. Really surprised since a similar dish at their sister restaurant a few months back was so good. They just opened a third restaurant so perhaps that is where the good chefs went. We can only hope the whole restaurant group doesn't suffer from over expansion but Azul 17 definitely is at the moment, sorry to say.

Visited January 2014