“There are more honest places out there”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of Azul 17 - CLOSED

Azul 17
Cuisines: Mexican, Latin, Spanish
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Lunch, Drinks, Late Night, Dinner, Full Bar, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“There are more honest places out there”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2013

Went as a group of six people. We ordered drinks, appetizer, entree and desserts. The food was good, better quality mexican. When the bill was presented we were able to split the bill in half. Each of the two receipts had half the total. Yet when my credit card bill came, they had charged the entire amount to my card. After checking, the other half of the bill had been charged to their account. It took several calls to the "manager" who was surly about the whole thing even though I had the receipt and he had a copy of it also and finally to the credit card company to make it right. It would have been better if they had cooperated-makes me feel like they were dishonest.
My advise-if you go, pay cash and check the bill.
How disappointing, I likked the

• Visited May 2013

Davenport, Florida
“Service so poor that the food doesn't matter”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2013

This restaurant must have some policy preventing the wait staff from writing customer orders on paper. We had to ask multiple times for water, salsa, and alcoholic beverages. Waitress was very disorganized and disinterested. Food was confusing.... I order a seafood "casserole" but the result was a thin broth with a little seafood, almost like a seafood soup. Not worth the $28 pricetag. Ceviche was a very small portion (one small filet) with flesh scored but not cut all the way through. It was very tough for me to cut and just strange because the accompanying garnishes were bite sized. Everything from the kitchen was delivered by a different person. There were lots of employees in the restaurant but that didn't improve the level of service. Often we saw the restaurant manager interrupting the wait staff and giving directions. Maybe these interruptions caused the disconnects in service. If the manager is going to interrupt, the wait staff needs to write orders on paper for later memory refreshes. Our table of 4 (two couples) visited this restaurant with 2 Groupons (one per couple). When presenting them we learned the restaurant had institution a separate groupon policy not printed on the groupon at time of purchase. This shows the restaurant's attitude toward customers. I just can't recommend this place -- prices are too high for portion sizes and level of service. Someone needs to teach these folks how to treat customers. I won't be back to see if any changes are implemented.

• Visited August 2013
Baltimore, Maryland
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Mexican”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2013

Food is a little pricey but good. Service was very good but the waitress didn't treat everyone as a valued patron. They have a wide selection of cocktails but they seem to have a higher opinion of their selection than the people with whom I dined.

Visited August 2013
Woodbine, Maryland
“Won't be back”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2013

We arrived for dinner at 5:30, there were only three other tables seated at the time, plenty of open tables yet they stuck us next to the service kitchen area which is probably the worst seat in the house. There were more wait staff running back and forth then there were patrons, yet the food took a ridiculous amount of time to get out to the table. Can't imagine how bad it would be if a few more people were to show up. The chips and "sauce" that they serve was bland. My tacos were a joke, very small, one of them had hardly anything in the shell $12.00 for two tiny, empty tacos nothing else, everything else is extra (al a carte Mexican). The potatoes came out lukewarm $4. My husbands enchiladas were good $15. but again a small portion and lacking the sauce that one might expect. The decor was nasty. White vinyl chairs worn with dirty hand prints covering the tops of them. Way to expensive for what you receive. We won't return.

• Visited July 2013
Columbia, Maryland
“A Different Kind of Mexican Restaurant”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2013

If Tex-Mex is your preference, don't go here. This classy-looking restaurant has a very different (and, I'm told, authentic) selection of delicious and well-prepared Mexican dishes. Everything we've tried in 3 visits has been new to us and wonderful. Some things are quite hot (spicy!) but the chef will tone the heat down at your request. The sauces are sensational as is the selection of Tequilas, which can be sampled in flights. Even the desserts are authentic and terrific (try the churros and the chocolate flan)! Service was attentive and personal and the prices weren't bad, considering the high quality of the food and the well-thought-out presentation.

• Visited June 2013