“Excellent tequilas, food sounded more exciting than it was”
Review of Azul 17 - CLOSED

Azul 17
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Gaithersburg, Maryland
“Excellent tequilas, food sounded more exciting than it was”
Reviewed January 23, 2013

We sat in the bar once before and tried some tequila flights and appetizers, which was quite nice. This time we tried dinner in the dining room. The decor is ok, but uninspired. It would be better if it reflected the upscale menus.

The margaritas here are lovely, with real ingredients and none of that hideous sweet and sour syrup most places use. The Classico will be as good as you want it to be (they'll let you select your choice of tequila and orange liquor with or without salt rim). The La Diabla was stellar: tangy instead of sweet, with a nice heat that dissipated quickly. We also tried the serrano chile one whose name escapes me (something with an R), which had a "greener" flavor and more lingering heat. It was excellent but eclipsed by La Diabla.

Table-side guacamole roja (chipotle adding the color) was non-red, non-spicy at first, but was promptly remedied. The smoked chile adds a deeper flavor and some heat but no need to fear burning out your tastebuds if you ask fore medium. Hubby had tacos al pastor. I had enchiladas norteñas. Both were tasty, filling, and authentic (go elsewhere for overstuffed tortillas with lots of melted cheese and sauce).

The menu leans toward Mexican, rather than chain restaurant Tex-Mex. But I wasn't wowed by the menu and wanted to see some more exciting choices. Entrees were well prepared and large enough that we both took some home, but feel too high for the strip-mall decor. However, as others have said, keep your eyes open for frequent groupon deals which make it a very good value.

Food is good but I rarely dine out in Columbia, so I am unlikely to return before hitting other excellent restaurants (Akbar offers really good Indian a few doors away) and the Tex-Mex/Mexican/Cuban/Peruvian options at Sol Azteca in Olney are more convenient to my home/commute.

• Visited January 2013

Columbia, Maryland, United States
“great food”
Reviewed January 22, 2013

The ceviche was extremely good. The service and food are excellent. Teguila bar from heaven, and salsa dancing every week. Cant beat it.

Visited June 2012
Ellicott City, Maryland
“Tasty, high-end Mexican food.”
Reviewed January 10, 2013

Had a nice dinner here with the SO and a friend. I was the DD, so I didn't get to try out the drink menu, but they seemed to really enjoy the drinks they had (pisco sour, wine). We tried the guacamole, which was made fresh at the table, and was very tasty. I had a nice seafood enchilada, which was very rich and tasty. Our friend had some scallops that looked quite nice as well. I would definitely like to go back and try some more items from the menu...

This is located in the strip mall off of Snowden that has the clock tower (there are two strip malls next to each other and I'm always pulling into the wrong one...)

• Visited November 2012
1 Thank MarkerMan
Naples, Florida
“The best tequilas and margaritas, great food, great atmosphere and quick polite service a must for Columbia!”
Reviewed December 30, 2012 via mobile

Went out over the holiday weekend and had a great experience. We have been before and they have steeped up their game. We had Red Snapper Ceviche it was sweet with blackberries and avocado and shrimp and snapper amazing combo! Had the seafood stew and a Caesar Salad with White Anchovy all was so fresh and tasty. The service was great fast and polite. We had the La Bamba Margarita and if you love Tequilla and Margaritas then you gotta go here and treat yourself!

1 Thank B K
Joppa, Maryland
“The Best Mexican Food and Tequila's”
Reviewed December 28, 2012

Started to go to another Mexican restaurant until I read the reviews. Decided on Azul and was one of the best decisions made to eat out. I was driving and my wife had a coconut mango tequila that was not only visually inviting; but, delicious (she said). The food was fresh and tasty and will be a frequent visit for me, but I won't drive the next time!

Visited December 2012