“Nice Hotel in a good location” 4 of 5 stars

SpringHill Suites Columbia
Ranked #5 of 12 Hotels in Columbia
GreenLeadersSilver level
Phoenix, Arizona
“Nice Hotel in a good location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2010

I'm a big fan of Springhill Suites. This one seems a bit newer, and a pretty good location, at least for Columbia. :) Easy access to 95, close by a few things to do and some good restaurants. The only problems I had with the hotel were minor things specific to the room. Sometimes its the little details that bug you, but overall it was a good experience.

If you care, the little things were the remote batteries were low so it wouldn't work from the bed. The door was crooked, so it was tight to close (although it closed and locked fine), and the light by the desk was plugged into the wrong outlet (non-switched) so a previous tenant unscrewed the bulb.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
Lusby, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2010

Very clean, staff was friendly,breakfast was good. Not very sound proof in the rooms. Coffee was very strong.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars
US
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2010

This was a nice hotel in an area that felt secure and safe. The staff was very friendly and professional. They responded to questions quickly and were very helpful overall. The room was clean and well equipped - keeping in mind Spring Hill Suites generally only have a microwave and refrigerator and not full mini-kitchens. The breakfast spread was adequate though vegetarian options could have been better.

The issues that causes me to give them four stars instead of five were the numerous problems on my bill and difficulty I had signing up for Marriot Rewards. My address and contact information contained more than one error and my name was spelled incorrectly. I met face to face with a different person than the one who initially took down my information and slowly dictated the needed changes line for line. When I received the new bill there was another error in my name. It is not an overly complex name to spell.

I also signed up for a new Marriot Rewards account when I was there. They initially messed up the account and a different person issued a different card. When I left I was still unsure which card was the correct one.

These were minor, but irksome, repeated errors that may have been due to new, nervous employees or insufficient training. Whatever the reason, they were consistently friendly and helpful. It was overall a great stay and I strongly recommend the hotel.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
Hanover, Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2010

The hotel is new, they tried a trendy up-scare design, but they just cant pull it off. The lobby has large curtains which seemed like more of what you would expect in a little girls bed-room. The rooms are small, very cold and very uncomfortable. The staff while not rude, are as cold as the surroundings (no smiles, very little talk). My rooms carpet was already stained in several places (an indicator that this place is just a few short years will be a dump). The beds are hard, pillows flat. I told them when I booked the hotel (through expedia) that I needed late checkout (4pm). I reconfirmed this when I checked in (everyone said fine). Suddently on the day of checkout my spouse gets a call in the room from the manager that there would be an additional charge. The hotel was empty - this charge was unnecessary- plus the un-smiling person who checked me in should have told me this (even though I reminded her of the late check out time). Finally this hotel is not in a great section of town. All in all a mistake.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank DavidJames1234
Long Island NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2010

I am a very picky hotel guest - this was a perfect stay. The hotel is about a year old, but looks brand-spanking new. Check-in by Ryan was personable and professional. I appreciated being thanks for my loyalty to Marriott - as a gold elite member of their rewards program, I am disappointed when I am greeted with "Your rewards number is on file" whereas here I felt warmly welcomed. The lobby was attractive and inviting. My corner room, while technically not exactly a suite, was spacious and airy. I definitely appreciated the refrig and microwave, and I loved the separate toilet area with the tiniest sink I've ever seen, and the spacious shower room with a sink area large enough to spread out my toiletries. The shower pressure could have been better, but that's about my only nit. The bed was wonderfully comfortable and I got a great night's sleep.

I'm sure I'll be back!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business
Olathe, Kansas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2010

The hotel is very nice with an excellent staff, but transportation to Baltimore & Washington D.C. is costly & difficult without a car. Jose Pintado, went above & beyond to resolve the issue & save our vacation from being uneventful. He transferred us to another Spring Hill Suites where the staff was just as wonderful as he was. Spring Hill Suites is on the top of my list for future trips. Thank you Jose, for being so caring & helpful.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends
Atlantic City
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2010

This is one of the nicer rooms I've stayed in - definitely the nicest for under $100. The room is divided into the sleeping area with a king bed and a living room area with a small sectional sofa and a work desk. There was a mini-fridge and microwave as well as free wired and wireless internet. There was one 32" hi-def TV that could swivel to be scene in either part of the room. The complimentary breakfast consisted of cheese omelets, sausage, a waffle maker and various cereals and pastries. We did not use the smallish pool or fitness center.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple