“disappointed”

Ranked #1 of 1 Columbia B&B and Inns
Barnstable, Massachusetts
“disappointed”
Reviewed May 9, 2012

Not the quality for the price. The inn looks to be of high standard on the website but the actual details are generally tawdry - the bed headboard is just a board covered with a sheet; decorations are random and of cheap quality; one outside deck was barren with roof paper, the other had a piece of astro-turf; the sheets were pilly; the "information" book in the room had no recommendations of restaurants, activities, or attractions in the area; while the man who greeted us and showed us to the room was friendly, his appearance was unfitting; they only offered warm white wine in boxes explaining that they no longer served red because they had recently replaced the stained rugs; there was only one bottle of water in the refrigerator for a three-night stay for two; there was always a radio on in the central sitting/dining area tuned to a local station with advertisements and pop songs. The breakfast was plentiful but three orders of eggs were served overdone. On the positive side, the staff was very friendly and the room was quiet. Not an inn feeling and appearance, rather an imitation of an inn.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Ally W

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
San Diego, California
Reviewed March 27, 2012

We found this Inn because a Sheraton was full. We were so glad! The Peralynna Inn is a beautiful house filled with spacious rooms everywhere! The basement holds a game room, a library in an upstairs room and nooks and crannies for intimate conversations tucked in the alluring spots. Breakfast is served every morning - continental style AND from a menu.... yummy cookies all day long and wine and appetizers in the evening. There's nothing missing from this Inn. The owners stop by to welcome you and to give the house's history. A must stay when in the Baltimore area!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Roxann M
Beltsville, MD
Reviewed March 18, 2012

My husband and I enjoyed an evening and overnight stay at the Inn, wonderful music, food, and dancing in a gracious and welcoming setting. We stayed in the "O" suite, where we found lots of room, a full-size refrigerator, and a very comfortable bed with extra pillows and extra-soft sheets. In the morning, we enjoyed seeing sheep grazing across the way before breakfast. We plan to go back for our anniversary celebration later this year!

Room Tip: We understand that the Inn welcomes pets in selected rooms only.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Pam P
Reviewed March 9, 2012

I am writing this after reading some of the negative reviews. I am a woman who travels alone for business, so it is extremely important for me to stay where I feel safe and secure. That being said, I was lucky enough to stumble upon the Inn at Peralynna quite by accident some months ago, and have been staying here at least once a month since then. David and Cynthia have always been more than welcoming and accommodating. The rooms are always fresh and clean, the "snacks" are so much more than snacks, and the breakfasts are superb. The rest of the staff have been courteous and willing to please. So I find it puzzling why others have not been fortunate enough to experience the same professionalism that I have had. I just booked another 4 night stay and am looking forward to it with enthusiasm...especially the tempurpedic beds and the French toast!

• Stayed February 2012
1 Thank Kmdeibler
Bloomfield, New Jersey
Reviewed March 4, 2012

My boyfriend and i came down for one night for a "change of scenery." Renee the receptionist was very accommodating and even changed our room for us after we showed her our gift certificate allowed us to have a jacuzzi suite. (Thank you) However, the jacuzzis aren't as big as one might expect. They're just regular bath tub sizes, just deeper, but still relaxing. The rooms were very varied in sizes and ours was small, but comfortable. The one thing I noticed was there were many scuff marks (from moved furniture I'm guessing) on the walls. Breakfast was great and and story behind the start of the B&B was very interesting. Thanks for a relaxing evening:)

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Winchester, Virginia
Reviewed January 31, 2012

I picked the Peralynna for a surprise birthday trip because it was rated well and its good location, partly true...
We stayed in the O Suite, which happens to be a lovely room with a big bathroom, and a cozy bed. That is where the beautiful ends.
When we checked we were told about the snacks and that there was a computer for guest use however when I tried using the guest computer it wouldn't work and when I asked the front desk was informed it was broken,( If I had known this I would have brought my laptop) and dont tell people there are snacks when you only have a few cans of soda.
On our way out to dinner I asked about the late checkout that I had requested on the phone and was told that there was no record and that you have to ask in advance.
So the next morning we had to leave early! Lets not for get that it had snowed the night before and no snow what so ever had been shoveled nor had anyones cars been cleared off, we had to look for the staff then they had to search for a broom (which they had no idea where one was?) then cleared our own car off.

***Now for the icing on the beastly cake***

When I reserved the room I requested they not charge my credit card and was told that it was only used to hold the room and would NOT be charge until the end of our stay. When we checked in I paid with cash and didn't think a thing of it. That is until I went to use my credit card an couldn't, I called up my bank and was told I had a $350. bill from Peralynna... What the Hell? I then called Peralynna and asked why and what I was charged, I was told they'd have to get back to me... 2 days later not having heard back I called again and spoke with the owner Cynthia who never once apologized nor tried to make recompense. I finally got the extra charge taken off my credit card a week later... I stay at B&Bs often and have never delt with such out right rudeness or bull.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank KandyGoddess
peralynnainn, Owner at Columbia Inn at Peralynna, responded to this review, February 28, 2012
We are happy that you enjoyed the suite and thought it was lovely.

We have evening snacks every night that include cheeses, vegetables, assorted crackers, cakes, and homemade cookies. They are not put out at the 4:00 check in time but after everyone has settled in around 6:00. Complimentary wine is also included.

I apologize about snow not being removed from your car. Our Inn has a large property and we had a lot of snow during that period.

Our policy is that we charge upon booking. We have a limited amount of rooms and hold each one specifically for that guest. When we release the charges, it may take up to a week for the refund to process.

We try to make all of our guests have a great experience. Can we make it up to you by offering another night in the suite of your choice?

Please call us personally.

We do appreciate the feedback.

David and Cynthia Lynn
Columbia, Maryland
Reviewed January 30, 2012

Friends provided us an anniversary getaway at this beautiful B&B. The rooms were well-maintaned, decorated and comfortable. Our room had a deck. We were greeted by the register who showed us around the facility. A nice touch! Afternoon they serve wine, cheese and crackers, cookies and other snacks. In the great room we enjoyed relaxing and reading on the comfortable couches next to the beautifully decorated and big Christmas tree (they have ample spaces to relax, library, cozy sitting area with asian decor). Morning breakfast was scrumptious. The chefs will make you your own omelet, pancakes or waffles and make bacon and sausage. They also have fresh coffee, fruit and other food items at the breakfast bar. If in Columbia, MD, a great place to relax and get refreshed.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jeff R
Also consider these accommodations in or near Columbia
Sleep Inn & Suites Downtown Inner Harbor
Sheraton Columbia Town Center Hotel
DoubleTree by Hilton Columbia
Sonesta ES Suites Columbia
Hampton Inn Columbia
Hampton Inn Columbia
#4 of 12 in Columbia
Hampton Inn & Suites Columbia / South

Been to Columbia Inn at Peralynna? Share your experiences!