“Don and Sue's 30th Anniversary Celebration Vacation”

Columbia Inn at Peralynna
Ranked #1 of 1 Columbia B&B and Inns
Reviewed September 12, 2011

After searching many, many b & b's online in the Maryland and Virginia area we found the Peralynna and liked what the website had to offer. We were not disappointed in any way. We stayed 7 nights in the "C" suite which was awesome and had the most comfortable bed and huge jacuzzi tub! Look it up on the website. The owners, David and Cynthia went out of their way to make sure we had everything we needed. All of the staff were always pleasant and always helpful. Breakfasts were the best. Connie was amazing in the kitchen! Delicious snacks and drinks were always available afternoons and evenings in the dining area for all the guests. There were many cozy areas at the Peralynna to just sit and enjoy including a huge porch to sit on in the evenings, with a glass of wine, and my husband enjoying a cigar, while watching the fireflies out in the huge back yard! It was truly a great vacation. We had so much excitement on this trip - we were in D.C. right when the earthquake hit! Then we were supposed to check out on Saturday morning but found out the airport was closed and our flight cancelled because of hurricane Irene. So Cynthia was able to extend our stay and since "C" was already booked, she put us in the "S" suite which was another one of the Peralynna's best suites. We are hoping to come back again sometime in the future to see more of the historic sights and we will definitely stay at the Peralynna!

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Sue L

Reviewed August 26, 2011

Pros...
Excellent mattress
Convenient drive to Baltimore
Owner was very helpful the first evening with recommendations for local restaurants- printed off several menus from the restaurant websites for us to look at.
Cons...
No toilet paper in the bathroom when we arrived. Top sheet of bed had a large wet spot that smelled of cleaning fluid. When I asked the maid about the wet spot, she said she had tried to get out a stain that was still on the sheet after washing. There was also a small hole in the sheet. Maid never offered to change the sheet (it should have been discarded!)
Waters were never restocked in the refrigerator.
Breakfast was nothing special. Never did get the grits we ordered one morning.
After the first evening, we never saw the owners again. When I asked about several restaurants the second evening, the girl at the front desk commented that she had recently moved to the area and didn't know much about the local restaurants.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Debi F
Reviewed August 22, 2011

While in town for a family wedding (along with other out-of-town family members), staying at Peralynna was a wonderful experience. (I noticed some negative review comments, which must have readily been addressed by the owner, because I saw none of that!). We were in room Y, which has a ground level porch, and it was immaculate, large, modern bathroom (with Jacuzzi jets in tub), flat screen TV, refrigerator (stocked with water) and an excellent mattress. We happened to see some other rooms, all similarly nice.

There are a number of common areas, but most importantly the dining room - spacious, bright - is absolutely lovely! Breakfast omelets and other items are made to order, plus pancakes, French toast, potatoes, bacon, ham, corned beef hash, different breads, pastries, cereals, yogurt, and fruit. It's rare to have such a large selection (accommodating all types of dietary needs and tastes), and of course, coffees and teas; it was all delicious and fresh. Being with other family staying at the inn, this provided a charming space to eat at a leisurely pace while socializing.

In the afternoon, there is a "buffet" of cheese, crackers, fruit, crudités, cookies, cakes, chips, and salsa, with wine and soft drinks available at any time. The staff was friendly and this place overall, is a huge cut above the typical B&B experience. It bears noting that breakfast is served from 7 a.m. - 10 a.m. which I found also appealing, since many inns and B&Bs have shorter, more restrictive breakfast times, and certainly much less selection of food. The location is also very convenient to Baltimore and neighboring areas.

Room Tip: I loved our room Y (this, and others are ground level with porch, and now stairs to climb)
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank HappyTravelerFromNYC
Reviewed August 22, 2011

This was our first time in a bed and breakfast, we usually stay in cities in larger hotels, but this experience was Magnificent! We were treated royally, breakfast was a gourmet personalized feast, and the rooms were neat, clean, and spacious. Every little detail was attended to, including sodas and drinks kept in the refrigerators. The owners were always on site and gave out great information, as well as historic stories about the place and land.

We enjoyed ourselves immensely, and want to return again in the fall to experience the turning leaves and the inn's charms.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed August 5, 2011

My boyfriend suprised me by booking us one night there (It C i believe) on my birthday July 30, 2011. I've never stayed at a B&B, so I had nothing to compare it to, but as someone who tends to complain when travel doesn't go well..I was smiling all wekened. What an amazing suprise! I thought the place was beautiful, our room was HUGE, and clean and romantic..with silk rose petals on the bed..and his/her white robes hanging in the bathroom..a very nice jacuzzi tub that I relaxed in while watching a movie in that bathroom, 2 fireplaces, a little sitting area, kitchen area with fridge for our left over dinner & complimentary waters, and NICE comfy bed. We didnt' try the snacks, or wine in the Inn's common area the night we checked in. We hung in the room, then left the property to get dinner and returned. We didn't borrow any of the 200 DVDS you could get from the check in desk for your room but the selection was good. We also didn't need/or use the WiFi they had available..it was down the night we stayed there, but we were on vacation (not busienss) and wouldnt' have bothered with the internet anyways. The next morning we got up for the breakfast which was very nice. I had coffee, french toast, bacon & yogurt..my BF had made-to-order eggs, bacon, cereal & Juice. We had a hearty breakfast in the common area, it was sold out that weekend but didn't feel croweded (NO Kids around, thank god, because who needs that at a B&B)...and we pleasantly packed up and checked out.
I've driven by this Inn a handful of times, being from the Howard County area, and to be able to celebrate my birthday there, away from home for a night, was wonderful.
NO complaints..and this is coming from a known complainer :)

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 2, 2011

I travel almost every week but nothing compares to the fantastic service that I receive each time I visit this Bed and Breakfast.. You would think you were staying at a good friends home. I have stayed here multiple times (i am a business traveler) and each room that I have stayed in has its own charm. The room I am in today has an expresso machine, wine fridge, DVD player with numerous DVD's they have to watch, fireplace and the best of all is the 5 yes 5 shower heads.What did I like the least..nothing which is why I keep this B&B as my top choice when I am in Columbia.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed July 21, 2011

Tripadvisor Family-

A must visit! I wanted a BNB close to home, but far in privacy , relaxation and quiet. My boyfriend and I were celebrating his 40th birthday. Our room ( C suite) was VERY clean and neat. The bed was very comfortable and a bathroom to die For! Our visit at the inn was for 2 days, the morning breakfast was good, Mr. Gary was excellent at breakfast on wednesday morning!! The host of the Inn: Cynthina and david ahd great hospitality and very friendly. While we were there is was slow season, therefore new carpet was being installed, however our room was already completed. If your looking for a intimate setting and great privacy try this INN....I will be back.

Room Tip: all rooms were great...big space ( C suite) best bathroom ( suite A)
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Columbia
Hampton Inn Columbia
#4 of 12 in Columbia
Fells Point
Admiral Fell Inn
Admiral Fell Inn
#13 of 67 in Baltimore

Been to Columbia Inn at Peralynna? Share your experiences!