“I wish their were a Houlihan's in my town.”
Review of Houlihan's

Houlihan's
Ranked #33 of 265 Restaurants in Columbia
Cuisines: American, Bar
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night
Reviewed September 24, 2012

This is a great place and I typically avoid chains. The service was great, the menu extensive and the food delicious. It really did not have a "chain" feel to it. Great wine and martini selections. If you haven't been to Houlihan's your missing something.

Reviewed May 11, 2012

Was expecting Chili's type experience, but the food was much better - a few dollars more expensive, but worth it. Food took a while to arrive even when the restaurant wasn't crowded, but still worth the wait.

Reviewed April 30, 2012

Went for a quick lunch on Monday. Hostess was away but woman got twos us and waited for hostess to return. This woman, no idea what her function was, told her the table number. We got to table and light was flickering like it was a ceiling fan spinning. We requested a new table from woman at front. Staring at 20 menus she wanted the ones on the table. She then said we would have to wait for hostess again. People in restaurant were yelling to be heard over loud music. Not an enjoyable experience.

Reviewed January 17, 2012

I know now that this is a national chain but didn't know it when I arrived. The greeting was friendly, the wait to be seated short (even though the restaurant was very busy) and the service was fast, friendly and very accommodating (trust me, to find this kind of service any where in the DC-Baltimore corridor is a miracle!). The food was excellent. I had the stuffed chicken breast which was filled with an herb, cream cheese filling and accompanied by very fresh vegetables. Wonderful. Another factor you may like;in addition to the entrees they have small plates that you can choose: three or four of these make for a full meal.
I'l be back!

Reviewed November 26, 2011

The best I can figure - the kitchen was victim to a burglary. How else could they explain using the ranch dressing they had just served me with a salad, mixing a few bleu cheese crumbles in it, and then calling it bleu cheese dressing with the chicken wings. It must have been a thief because no self-respecting cook or restaurant would dare otherwise. Or would they?

This was my first trip to Houlihan's in Columbia, and it was a substantial disappointment - from start to finish. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. It's not a bad menu, even clever in a few instances, but the execution was terrible. Food was cooked long in advance (maybe yesterday?), and then simply re-heated - or overcooked.

From the start, my wife's favorite martini came from the bar noticeably watered down - the bartender left the liquor sitting on ice too long to chill it. We were about to send the drink back, and our food comes rushing out of the kitchen - impossibly fast for fresh-cooked food. That's because it wasn't fresh cooked, just re-heated from whenever it was originally cooked.

We ordered four dishes - each was flawed. The $4 chopped salad was ridiculously small. The roast beef for the "French Dip" was overcooked and bland. The "wonton tuna" was a clever idea when the chef had it - badly executed with overcooked tuna and wonton that wasn't crispy (because it was cooked yesterday, right? And then overcooked when they re-heated it).

And then, there's the chicken wings -- not spicy, not crispy, served with the fake bleu cheese dressing because of this terrible kitchen burglary that they must have had.

I'm done with Houlihan's. Uninspired, badly executed, not fresh.

In fairness, the wait staff was good.

1  Thank LarryGross

Been to Houlihan's? Share your experiences!