“Clean but no thrills”

Ranked #9 of 11 Hotels in College Park
Charleston, South Carolina
“Clean but no thrills”
Reviewed August 14, 2012

When i first arrived i was scared because it looked liked a motel, but then u realize it shares property with the H J motel. The place is a bit dated too. It was clean, it just didn't have that I am on vacation feel to it. My friend said it best. It is clean but then didn't use Tide. I was going to book at a nicer 4 star hotel but because i didn't know the area this flipped the bill. The price was OK for the area. You are right within the beltway. To tell the truth the other hotel was just outside the beltway by one mile, but again when u don't know the area. The seating area for continental breakfast was too small and crowed, so i went out for that. I didn't pick up any wi fi, but the AC unit worked well. Over all it was.......well it could have been worst i guess.

Room Tip: I have read other reviews about the traffic noise. Get a room on the back.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
New York City
Reviewed August 9, 2012

Just got back from a 2 day trip to Maryland! Was visiting a friend and her family who had a child in DC's children's hospital and found this was one of the best places to stay close to DC without spending an arm and a leg.
The hotel is on Baltimore Avenue, which is a very busy highway-like street and all the hotels are on it. This hotel does not have a shuttle like others but there is a bus stop within walking distance. Keep in mind, however, Maryland buses run very slowly and rarely. This was a shock to me as I was coming from NYC where we never sleep. I soon realized if I didn't have a car, I would have had to take cabs to and from subway station and it would've been very expensive. The Maryland/DC trains also run with huge delays in between, sometimes only 2 an hour, so even that was frustrating. Not the hotel’s fault, though. But, FYI, a car or significant cab fare will be needed if staying here.
The hotel is in 2 buildings and I was in the back building where the doors lead directly to the street. Kinda creepy for traveling alone but I survived. The noise from Baltimore Avenue and the nearby train tracks may disturb some light sleepers but not me. I found it nice and quiet and enjoyed the wooded area behind it. Lots of animal noises one doesn’t hear in NYC.
The room was cool and very clean when I arrived and very roomy and comfortable for the price I paid ($72 a night). There was a bug in the shower but I doubt it was the hotel’s fault. Once you see the wooded area around, you will understand and I didn’t find another one for the duration of my stay. Was also provided with a nice fridge and microwave so I was able to buy snacks for late night munchies!
They have an outdoor pool I never saw anyone use but it looked nice.
They offer breakfast, as stated in other reviews. Simple foods like cereal, toast, coffee, juice, etc. Very nice, though. Small breakfast/reception area so it can get crowded as people lounge around reading the complimentary paper.
No room service from what I noticed and they don’t have many supplies in case you forget stuff at home, despite the sign in the room that says so. Called the front desk one night for shampoo and they said they didn’t provide it.
All in all, nice stay and will stay here again when traveling to DC.

Room Tip: Car needed in this area! Buses and trains are few and far between! Cabs can get expensive!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Evanston, Illinois
Reviewed July 20, 2012

As a weary traveler conducting research at the National Archives, I found Ramada Limited to be convenient, clean and comfortable. It has cable, wifi, and the continental breakfast in the morning has everything I look for (juice dispensers, waffles for toasting, bread for toasting, yogurt, pastries, cereal and even instant oatmeal you can make yourself). The room is comfortable and even though I think the green carpet look suspicious, it doesn't matter much since I pad around in flip-flops anyway. The hotel is walking distance to several eateries and I enjoyed the food at College Park Diner (you can have breakfast for dinner) and I found it easy enough to walk to BK and/or Macs, down the road. The bus service is frequent, so just check on your routes and you should be able to find your way. I stayed two nights and it was great, considering I had been commuting to DC from the Virginia suburbs for about two weeks.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Greenville, South Carolina
Reviewed July 6, 2012

I found this hotel through Priceline. My goal was to "see DC." The hotel was a good value. Everything was clean, comfortable and quiet. The high speed internet worked well at night (which I can't say for most 4 star hotels I stay in.) On arrival I was able to change from 2 double beds to a king bed. The staff was very helpful and friendly. The interior is dated, but I did not pay for a "Hampton Inn" level hotel. To get to and from the DC area or UM, it is well positioned. The 86 Bus picks up right across the street. The bus schedule is available on line and the bus ran on time. The bus took me to the College Park metro stop. It was 45 minutes from hotel to Union Station. One block south is a local Jamacian restraunt that has the best food I have eaten in 2 - 3 years.

Room Tip: First floor room was quiet
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Staten Island, New York
Reviewed June 22, 2012

Based upon some of the reviews, I was a little hesitant about booking here. Knowing little to nothing of the area, I needed an inexpensive stay within reach of Univ of Maryland. Since we were ONLY utilizing the room for one night, how bad could it be?
Well, upon arrival it does look a little worn, and dated. The parking lot makes it look more like a motel than hotel.........Check in was easy, requested a quiet room since my son needed plenty of rest for a college football camp in the morning, and was accommodated fine.
The room was CLEAN, no smell, bathroom was CLEAN, plenty of towels, toiletries were provided and the room was quite.
The hotel was VERY close to the university, and close to restaurants and any shopping needs. Had no trouble getting in or out of lot as some had complained about, however I could see there being a slight delay if it is busy season and traffic. But if you live in NYC, or any MAJOR traffic laden city, it is nothing more than a "yawn" to navigate........
Overall: Worth the price paid (approx 75.00), didn't see anything cheaper. And would use them again......NO WORRIES with booking here, we were pleased......

Room Tip: Nothing to honestly offer. It was a simple overnight stay. Probably was in the room total of 10 hrs.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed June 20, 2012

I can see my own pattern developing: properties with great staff prompt me to write a review. Such is the case here at the Ramada Limited College Park. During a very busy U of M event putting motel at full capacity, we had reservations for two rooms originally not located together. But upon check-in, staff made effort to located us in adjacent rooms. Furthermore, we had flown through the night and arrived well before the day's check-in time, but without two much pleading, staff allowed us to use one of our rooms after hurrying to get it ready for us. Especially as the motel was at full capacity (and being accustomed to be told "sorry, your room won't be ready until later today" at other properties), this courtesy really made our day in a most positive way. There were other instances of pleasantly accommodating us or helping us out during the week -- I'll just state that the staff truly was helpful.
As another reviewer described, the distance from the University is a bit of a walk, but not the 2 miles mentioned -- 2 miles maybe, if one is including distance from wherever inside campus one needs to be. But motel to campus is more like a little over one mile. Buses run up and down Baltimore Avenue, but we elected to walk most of the time (sometimes making the trek 2 or 3 times in a day). Essentially, if you enjoy walking, as I do, the location is no issue. If your hip/knee/back, etc. gives you issues, or you simply don't like getting where you're going by foot, stick to using a car or public transport. I'm from Las Vegas and absolutely reveled in the lush, abundant greenery everywhere in College Park. Take a stroll through the neighborhood behind the motel, if you get a chance. Quaint homes and yards and a canopy of trees that has you completely forgetting you are in the midst of a huge megalopolis.
Speaking of which, all the Capitol Hill attractions are a pleasant Metro Subway ride away. You will want to catch a bus or cab (or park your car rental) at the station, though we actually made the walk in hot June and were no worse for the wear, but I wouldn't recommend it. The entire area around the motel/U of M/ Metro Station feels very safe and clean, even past midnight. One caveat: no crosswalks to other side of Baltimore Ave. near motel. Be sure to cross at Greenbelt Road or you'll find yourself jaywalking across a busy thoroughfare.
Rooms themselves are tidy and ordinary-sized with normal toiletries, towels, etc. One plus was that the walls did a better than expected job of keeping out noise from the hallway and neighboring rooms. Lots of high school kids were running up and down the halls and slamming doors during our week, but inside our room the noise was muted much better than I expected. Was easily able to relax and sleep.
You can go elsewhere and pay a lot more money and still end up with a lesser experience than we did at this property. Whether for visiting the U of M or going into D.C. to take in the tours and sites, we were very happy with our stay here.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank BubsterPubster
Fort Myers, Florida
Reviewed June 14, 2012

I just stayed at this hotel and hoped I could answer a lot of the questions that I myself had before reserving this hotel. First is the location. I had an event at UMD College Park and this was one of the few places available. I have to admit that the price was right--one of the cheapest in town. We thought we would walk to UMD and we did a few times but be prepared. It is about 2 miles with parts lacking sidewalks. You have to make sure to catch the crosswalk before hitting the Ramada as there is really no safe place to cross once you reach it. Baltimore Ave is a busy main road. Getting to the CP metro is a bit more than 2 miles. A few times we took a cab and each time the price was between $10-$12. As far a getting into the city, the metro station was great. The green line stops right in front of the Archives, about a block away from the mall, which was very convenient. The trip took about 25-30 minutes. Unfortunately, CP is in the opposite direction of Reagan Airport so on the last day, I ended up bringing my suitcase into the city, stowing it at the Smithsonian National History Museum for a quarter! and then exploring for a bit more. The lockers there will accomodate a 22" rolling suitcase. As far as the hotel itself, it's a bit beat down. I got stuck in a smoking room and it reaked so bad I could barely breath. The manager gave us some industrial smoke remover spray and we ended up spraying that each am and pm and it seemed to do the trick. The decor is outdated. The room I had was in a separate building out back that seemed more like a no-tell motel, perhaps because they were smoking rooms. Since the door exits directly into the parking lot, it was a bit loud as you could hear anyone talking in the parking lot. I found that front desk staff to be helpful, always willing to call a cab and help with my requests. They do have a complimentary breakfast with cereals, bagels, sausage biscuits, etc. It's more of prepackaged reheated food but it does the trick. Overall, it's not the best place but for the price, I'm not sure if I should have expected much more. There are other places to stay nearby but they didn't look that much better from the outside. Comfort Inn did appear to have a local shuttle though, which would have saved us a lot of time and money.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business

Clarion Inn
Clarion Inn
#8 of 11 in College Park
College Park Marriott Hotel & Conference Center

Been to Days Inn College Park? Share your experiences!