“Works for what it is”

Days Inn College Park
Ranked #9 of 12 Hotels in College Park
Reviewed May 27, 2012

This hotel does not purport to be a high end destination and it is not, but at least it is what it purports to be--decent, clean, somewhat convenient lodging, at affordable rates. You won't score a fantastic "gotta write home about this" deal, but neither will you suffer a nightmare "gotta write home about this" deal either.

Rooms were clean, and cleaned well daily; breakfast buffet was convenient, filling, but tasteless--would have appreciated a 24 hour coffee machine--hard how would it have been to keep a thermos full, because the coffee maker in the room could not make good coffee, and you get only one premeasured filter pack to experiment; nice touch to offer complimentary toothpaste or razor (which I did not need).

I choose this hotel because I was attending a relative's graduation ceremony at U Maryland, College Park. I wanted the convenience of a nearby lodging. The 20-30 minute walk to U M's Comcast Center has the illusion of convenience only because it is very hazardous to cross the road either by foot or car to get to campus. There is no nearby intersection with stop light, so you have to carefully time the gaps in both directions at once and either run or gun the engine. Easy access off the Capital Beltway or I-95 or B-W parkway, however. I ended up driving my rental car to campus more than I anticipated (and getting stuck in campus traffic and paying the numerous parking meters) so the convenience to campus really means you are spending fewer minutes in the car getting there than if you lodged, say, outside the Beltway.

Got a good 4 night rate from Bookings.com. There are numerous web sites offering discounts or package discounts, and it was hard for me to compare all deals at once to lock down the "best deal" so in the end I just figure what I wanted to spend, booked, and hoped for no downside. I put together my own air transportation, rental car, and hotel package, because the package deals offered by the airlines and other trip planing sites were just too confusing.

I was happy about the price (about $80 per night when all the extra fees and taxes are tallied) and relieved about the quality of the lodging given the price. Don't put much value in the "convenient to campus" feature, however. You will end up driving.

Room Tip: There is no food service at this hotel, after the morning buffet is cleared, but I was happy to fin...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo

Reviewed April 1, 2012

Noisy and umcomfortable, although it is clean! The room i stayed in was close to highway and it was noisy, moreover all night i heard some guys in the corridor talking loudly without any attention!

• Stayed: May 2011
Reviewed December 16, 2011

Not fancy, but clean and very convenient to all attractions. Not far from metro, and U of M. Only problem is traffic on US1. Non stop!! Very difficult and dangerous to enter and exit parking lot. Breakfast is routine and nothing fancy, but doable. Area is a little spookie at night but we had no problems.

Room Tip: Stay in the back part away from the roadway and traffic noise.
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank jf49
Reviewed December 6, 2011

Well, after reading some of the reviews for this motel, I was very tempted to book elsewhere. At the last minute, I said "screw it. How bad can it be?" I kept my reservation, and my boyfriend and I took the Amtrak down there to visit some friends at UMD. After a five-hour train ride and an hour on the Metro, we finally got there... three hours before check in. We were tired hungry and each wheeling a suitcase. Rather than continue wheeling said suitcases, we decided to chance it and ask the people at the front desk if there was anywhere for us to stash our luggage for a couple hours while we went out to lunch. The woman behind the front desk smiled and said "I can do you one better." Instead of simply giving us a place to put our things, she went ahead and swapped our room for another one and checked us in early. We thanked her profusely and headed up to the room. Before we opened the door, some of those reviews I'd read flashed up in my head -- "Dirty, smelly room... cobwebs... stains." There was none of that. The room was very clean and smelled nice. On top of all that, we'd forgotten to bring toothpaste, and (unlike every Hyatt and Marriott we've ever stayed at, where they even charge you for WATER) this motel offered free toiletries, tea and coffee. We got our toothpaste (Colgate, not some bargain brand) without paying a cent or having to make another trek to the local CVS. The shower was warm and clean, as was the bed. This motel is located about 20 minutes walking from the UMD campus and a bunch of restaurants, bars, etc. The internet they offer works just fine and is very fast, too.

So yes, don't believe the reviews and give this place a chance. The only complaint I had was that the remote didn't sync up with the TV. But I had my laptop and a Netflix subscription, so that wasn't an issue. Oh, and the location was very quiet and we slept quite well.

Room Tip: We had a room in the separate building behind the main motel, and it was quite clean.
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank RogerFrirenn
Reviewed October 6, 2011

First red flag: plexiglass in front of check in desk. 2. "non-smoking room" had just been smoked in. 3. Second room I was given had hinges on the front door that were a different color and part of the door was sawed away so clearly someone had been able to break it down. 4. Hair on the "clean" towels. 5. Dirty tub. There's a list because it's 5am and I was awoken at 3am by drunk men fighting outside my door and again at 4am by a couple screaming and cursing. Iced stayed in nicer and safer hostels. Avoid at all cost.

• Stayed: October 2011
Reviewed August 17, 2011

This place is not good. Carpets in the corridor are dirty and smell bad. Will never stay again.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed July 31, 2011

The Ramada Limited in College park was pretty decent for the cost. The rooms were cleaned and well maintained. The pool was crystal clear and lifeguarded. The lobby had air conditioner problems but the rooms were nice and cool. The continental breakfast was above average and the area was in a decent part of town. Make sure if you want an extra pillow or blanket to get it before housekeeping goes home. The Hotel also held our bags for us when we arrived before check in. I would reccomend this hotel to travelers on a budget.

Room Tip: The sliding glass door in our room took some strength to close.
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
Clarion Inn
#7 of 12 in College Park
Best Western Plus College Park Hotel
Holiday Inn Washington DC / Greenbelt

Been to Days Inn College Park? Share your experiences!