“Clean and Convenient”

Ranked #10 of 12 Hotels in College Park
Dallas, Texas
“Clean and Convenient”
Reviewed April 1, 2007

In hotels I care mostly about clean and quiet, and this one fit the bill.

Quality Inn is the closest lodging to the College Park Metro (rail) station, an 11-minute walk. Lots of fast food and some sit-down dining within a block. U of Maryland is a couple hundred yards.

My small, single room was clean and about average for a motel. Staff upon check-in was just marking time; upon check-out the guy seemed really interested in my only complaint, which was more of an observation: the pigeons roosting outside the rooms would not let me sleep past 7:00 a.m.

The free breakfast was no better than the other ones I've seen over the years: all carbs, brought in boxes from somewhere else. I skipped it and went to Starbucks a block away.

I booked through the Southwest Airlines website and got an $83 rate - best deal I could find for a hotel near College Park.

• Liked — Location, cleanliness, quiet
  • Disliked — Price - still too high
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Greensburg, Kentucky
Reviewed February 17, 2007

I was very nervous about this hotel after reading the reviews. I was bringing 27 high school students and chaperones to DC and thought I would check out this hotel as an option. My son and I came for a long weekend over President's day.

We could not check in early. Not a strike, but would have definitely been a perk. The website said three blocks to the Metro, I'm not sure what the standard definition of a "block" is, but it was farther than I thoughte: GOOD: After walking to the hotel the day we arrived, we discovered they have a shuttle that will take you to the Metro and pick you up. Just call the hotel at their number and request the shuttle to pick you up. We tipped the driver each way as it was definitely a plus that I wasn't expecting.

Our room wasn't anything spectatuclar. It was not the quality that I expected from Quality Suites. It was more like an Econolodge. GOOD: Our room had new carpet which helped the rooms' presence. BAD: Our phone did not work in the room. After maintenance looked at they said "the carpet installers must have cut the line." OK. I mentioned that one of our sinks did not drain. I made the mistake of saying we had the second sink and the maintenance guy must have thought it was alright not to fix the one that wasn't working. I thought he should have volunteered to fix it. Guess I was wrong.

The breakfast was more than I expected. We had "make-your-own" waffles, toast, bagels, english waffles, fruit, cereal. It was pretty good, but not enough sitting room. It was over packed with people and the one lady taking care of the supplies and food coudn't keep up. She needed more help.

BAD: The general appearance of the place seems run down. The walks were very dirty and needed pressure washing. The ice dispenser and soda areas looked dirty as well. The bathroom was very dated. I'm not an orange/peach color fan and tile floor was very cold always.

GOOD: There is an Applebees next door and just around the corner is a CVS to buy snacks, drinks or other items that you forget or want to buy cheaper than in DC. On the Green Metro rail which is good if you are flying into BWI as you can take the B30 Express Bus to the Greenbelt Metro Station and then get off at the next stop for the hotel. The Green Metro line is convenient for going to the Smithsonians.

• Liked — proximity to Metro station
  • Disliked — overal lack of "quality" that I expect from Choic hotels
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled with family
3 Thank TravelsUnlimited

Travelers are raving about these College Park hotels

Pasadena, MD
Reviewed January 2, 2007

First off, I requested a non smoking room when I made my reservation. When I arrived, they was a non smoking tag on the door but that was about as far as it went. Once you entered the room, the smell of smoke was overpowering. One of the bed spreads had a burn hole in it. The sink had numerous burn marks, I guess from people putting their cigaretts there while they were shaving. The place was very unkept and dirty. The room was completely disgusting. I had planned on staying 2 nights, but only stayed one. I slept in my clothes that night. The evening front desk staff was rude at best when I complained about the room. And of course, there is never a manager around when you want to speak to one.
No matter what the price, this is not the place to stay. I think a pig pen is cleaner that the room I was in.
When I returned home, I wrote a letter to the corporate office with my complaints. All they did was say they were sorrying that I didn't have a pleasant stay, and that they hoped we would give them a second chance. That was it. I really wasn't looking for anything, but they could have been just a little more customer friendly.
Do yourself and your family a favor, go to the Holiday Inn up the street a few miles, it will be well worth your piece of mind for cleanliness. That is where I stayed on my second night in town.
But then again, if you like sleeping in a dirty, disgusting, old motel, this is the place for you.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Everything. The place is a dump
  • Tips/Secrets — Do not, under any circumstances, stay here. You will be sorry.
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled with family
4 Thank One Joe Cool
Boston, MA
Reviewed October 29, 2006

Stayed here because it is the closest hotel to Univ of Maryland and I was giving a talk there. The room was reasonably clean but a little old. The breakfast was not very appetizing. The most annoying thing was that there was no Internet available.

• Stayed October 2006
2 Thank milypan
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed July 10, 2006

My boyfriend and I had been on the road for fifteen hours straight. All we wanted was a warm bed and some sleep. Which is what an INN of QUALITY should provide. Right? Read on.

Our tiredness was met with a dingy room with a fresh supply of dirty, stale sheets stretched over a delightful cardboard-like mattress lacking any spring, and wallpaper that had absorbed years of use and was yellowing a la "SEVEN". This place: Sloth. The fact we didn't leave only goes to show how tired we were.

Let's continue.

Behind that disgusting wallpaper were the thinnest walls I have ever seen. Or I should say, HEARD. The next day, my alarm clock turned out to be the crystal clear sounds of a man using the bathroom from a COMPLETELY separate room. The worst part was I could hear everything the man was doing in the restroom. Everything. Every last shuffle, drip, fart.

The entire building shook beautifully whenever a guest closed a door down the hall, with a gorgeous echo. At any moment one could hear the dulcet jabbering of others by the elevator, or anywhere. And now that I think of it, I do remember my skin being itchy after we left - so make what you will of the bedbug claim.

There are some things worth getting a deal for in life. $50-$75 bucks on a disgusting place not good enough to be called even a motel is not one of them. DC is a free town anyway, the museums are free, the sights are free mostly, spend on a better place.

Or, if you don't believe me, ask for a walk through if you want the biggest laugh of your life.

I have been to several third world countries in my travels, have stayed in many places, and I have to say most of their accomodatons were above this one. In AMERICA.

It was the most horrible place I've ever stayed at in this country. And a bad accomodation with a bad night's sleep takes a bad toll on the rest of your vacation, as my boyfriend and I unfortunately learned. How are you supposed to have fun when you feel tired and gross?

Later, when my boyfriend checked out, he said the clerk didn't bother to ask how our stay was.

Gee I wonder why.

Don't go.

• Stayed July 2006
4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Piscataway, NJ
Reviewed May 4, 2006

The wireless connection did not work - I spent two days at the hotel and asked repeatedly but no one could help me get an IP address.

When I returned home, I was itching all over. Coincidentally, I had a dermatology routine appointment the next day. The first thing the doctor said when he started examining me was "where did you get bitten by bedbugs?". Then, I looked the hotel up on teh web and found in this site that others have mentioned bedbugs too!!!

Skip the hotel.

• Stayed May 2006, traveled on business
3 Thank eddomingo
Coconut Creek, Florida
Reviewed April 24, 2006

I stayed at this motel and considering the price I paid, it is very good value. I had a fine room for nine nights with very nice complimentary breakfasts. I paid seventy-four dollars per night plus taxes. For the Washington,D.C. area, that is quite reasonable.. This motel is in a very good neighborhood close to the Metro and several nice eating establishments.

• Stayed April 2006