“Value and Service”

Quality Inn & Suites
Ranked #11 of 12 Hotels in College Park
Reviewed December 30, 2008

I have stayed at plenty of hotels up and down the east coast, while not the best, this hotel provides convenience, value and service/ I was simply impressed with the service I received, it was consistent throughout my stay. The hotel was within walking distance of plenty of restaurants and an employee even recommended The Old Calvert House, which was an excellent choice. All in all this hotel was a great find for me, the staff was friendly, the price was excellent and the rooms were adequate. I will choose this hotel evrytime I return to the DC/MD areas.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled on business
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
QISMD, Webmaster at Quality Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded July 19, 2011

Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing Quality Inn & Suites for your recent stay in our area. I am glad that it worked so well for you.

• Staff members received commendation on the excellent job they are doing.

I am so glad that you are planning to stay at Quality Inn & Suites during future visits to our area. We at Quality Inn & Suites are all very pleased.

Reviewed December 8, 2008

I booked this hotel on my visit to Washington DC because I found very close to Metro rail in the area at which I was attending seminars in DC. I really didn't expect much. The rooms were excellent but buildings look old . I called about the heat not working and they had it fixed in no time. Shuttle service was outstanding - annoyed me with mornings and evenings but walk to the metro wasn't bad. All the staffs were very friendly as well except hard to communicate in spanish with some. The only thing I wouldn't recommend is gameday at the university. Breakfast was awesome, it was more than enough.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed November 16, 2008

I slept one night in this hotel on my way back home. I checked in at 11.30 pm and checked out at 8.00 am.
All in all my experience is much better than previous travellers. The room & bathroom were clean. The bed is not the best i, but not bad. The breakfast was included in the price and it was good & enough.
The price for that area was good, too.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed September 30, 2008

I stayed at this place because we had a 2-week class at the business school at UMD, so the hotel was close and we got a special rate for the rooms. If it weren’t for that, I would have changed hotels immediately. Never would I advice to pay the full price of 109 $ for a hotel room there.

For the first 4 nights I stayed in a suite in one of the back buildings. I didn’t like the interior, but anyway, most hotel interior is just hideous. Yet the interior of this room was not only ugly, but also shabby. The furniture and carpet old and dusty, tapestry coming loose at the edges, the bathtub’s white has long faded… However, I don’t mind all this as long as the room is at least clean.

But here comes the crack: The room just WASN’T. Thanks to the yellowish light in the bathroom it took a closer look to see the towels weren’t really white. But, the worst thing is yet to come. One morning I caught a bedbug in my bed – alive and just crawling away from his nightly feast! At a closer look I saw a whole gathering of these nasty bloodsuckers around my mattress. Even worse: I could watch them crawl up the wall behind the headboard of my bed! YUCK! I immediately requested another room. What struck me most was that the front desk staff didn’t even appear to be a bit worried about my bug report. Thanks to their incompetence, they wanted to give me a room wall-to-wall with the old one.

Finally, I moved into another building to avoid further bedbug encounters. I spent the remaining nights in the high rise building where the rooms looked at least a bit less shabby. However, the furniture was old there, too, the towels lack a decent white, and the cleanliness of the room is not the one I’m used to. Perhaps I should mention here that I’m from Europe. At least, I never saw a bedbug in the other room.

Adding up to all this hassle (as if it wasn’t enough already) was the sheer incompetence of hotel staff to get even the simplest things done. I handed a message to the front desk to deliver to one of my colleagues. Turned out: He never got this message. In both rooms, the safe was locked so I always had to get someone to open it, which took me about three front desk calls to get this done. Also, one night I had someone waiting for me in the lobby who told the front desk to call up to my room to inform me that my guest had arrived. By now you can probably easily guess: The phone in my room never rang.

To sum it all up: If you are a 1-star tourist with zero needs, easily overlook stains and insects, think bedbug stories are just urban myths, and can live without the minimum level of cleanliness and service, yet still want to spend more money on a hotel room than other equivalent places might charge you in the area – then this is the right place for you to stay.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed September 27, 2008

This is the cheapest hotel in the area and you get what you pay for. I booked a queen bed room in the "tower." The room was down a clean but somewhat dark hallway. The room was a bit unkempt - wallpaper was peeling on the bathroom wall, the door looked as if it wasn't covered when the room was painted. The worst problem, though, was with the television. When I turned it on, the reception was atrocious! In about 20 seconds, I diagnosed the problem to a stripped coax cable. I initially refused to move but when the staff said they had no coax cables to replace it, I had to. They were good enough to discount the room, but the only room they had was a full bed - smaller than a queen. I didn't get much sleep and I didn't feel very safe. The Internet was horribly slow and the breakfast was lackluster. I will never stay here again and probably will never stay at a Quality Inn again either.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed September 19, 2008

Booked 2 room suite for 2 nites. Arrived at 7:00pm and was told pool open 'till 10pm. Got to room to find no toilet paper in either bathroom, stained carpets and 2 lamps not working. Called front desk and placed on hold for 3 minutes, called back and asked to hold again. After waiting 5 minutes, called back again and was asked to hold - said NO, we need toilet paper (had 5 kids in rooms) NOW! Was told there was no one who could bring it and I'd have to come to desk. Got to desk to find line out the door and only 1 clerk. Went to CVS next door and bought TP. While gone, kids had changed and gone to pool. Lifeguard would not let them in as she was locking the gate (at 7:55pm) because the pool closed at 8pm, so kids could not use pool. Got back to room, called desk again and put on hold. Gave up and called Choice Hotels 800# and told them of problems and that I was unable to get resolved on property - they couldn't help either, but told me to mention the satisfaction guarantee when I checked out as they offer a "100% satisfaction guarantee or room is free". Next morning, went to desk and asked to talk to manager. Was told there was no manager on property until 1pm. Told them I was checking out early and refused to sign bill authorizing them to charge my card as I was "100% Dissatisfied" with room, service, etc. Tried calling 3 times that afternoon and was put on hold again and again. Hotel did charge me, and I had to dispute through AMEX. They refunded the charge, then charged the card again later - Unbelieveable!

Staff and managements total lack of concern for basic guest needs was unlike anything I have ever experienced - and I spend about 100 nights a year in hotels.

Would strongly suggest finding other lodging options if planning to visit the DC area!

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with family
2  Thank tttk3
Reviewed August 15, 2008

Stayed two nights here in a 'larger room with parking area view' on the ground floor of the rear building. I cannot put my finger on why, but on entering the room I was nervous of staying. The parking area view was literally onto the car park some 6 feet away. I was relieved to be able to keep an eye on our car, but people passing by the window looking in ensured the light and TV was left on if we left our room in the evening. The room was larger than average but dark and dingy - dark greens and browns - tired and really in need of a refurb. The complimentary breakfast was good - a range of bread, cereals, muffins, doughnuts and make your own waffles. The laundry on the 1st floor was useful - $3 worth of quarters and the wash was clean and dry. There is also an outside swimming pool and gym on site. Plenty of family places to eat surrounding the hotel. The room 'did the job' - a place to sleep in a busy couple of days sight seeing and from that point of view was good value at $129 (£69) inc taxes per night.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with family