“Needs a facelift and perhaps new ownership”

Quality Inn & Suites
Ranked #11 of 12 Hotels in College Park
Reviewed May 16, 2012

This hotel is in a great location mere blocks from the University of Maryland. An excellent array of restaurants, pharmacies, grocery stores, etc. nearby. My praise ends there. The hotel looks decent from the outside, but once you walk in the doors, you know how this story ends. Housekeeping apparently took the week off because the walls, carpeting, elevators, entranceways, etc. were filthy. I was exhausted from a long day and was too tired to fight, so I held my nose and stayed the night. My room key did not work the first two times, which gave me the joyful experience of walking through the pouring rain back to the front desk, twice. The staff could best be described as indifferent. You get the general idea that they could do a good job if they were provided with direction, but clearly they were just following the lead of management. This is not a great place for traveling businessmen, families, couples, senior citizens or normal people in general. It is probably best for Terp alumni coming back to town for football games who could not care less about amenities or cleanliness and just need a place to rest their head after a glorious day of tailgating. Don't fear the Terps, fear the Quality Inn.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank psujack2007
QISMD, Webmaster at Quality Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded June 12, 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing Quality Inn & Suites for your recent stay in our area. I am glad that the location was a good one for you. GO TERPS!!!

• The front desk received additional training in the courteous, helpful manner in which they are to treat you, our valued guest.

I hope that the next time you visit our area, you will once again choose to stay at Quality Inn & Suites. We take our reviews very seriously, and I think you will be greatly pleased.

Reviewed March 30, 2012

The check-in experience was quite ok when I arrived, so I got into the room pretty smoothly. After I got in and trying to connect to wifi, the connection is terrible. I think it is because there are too many people using it at the same time. It takes forever to connect to it, and the internet speed is really slow, and yet, you lose connection easily.

The room is a bit noisy, from the main street outside. And the construction by the roadstarts like 7am the next morning, which is really not helping with my rest. I figured I would go for an early breakfast since I am up. When I got there, the breakfast lobby was packed. There are many waiting around for table, not to mention the que waiting for food.

I think the hotel should provide better internet and breakfast at least, with more routers and bandwidth, and a larger space for breakfast with more food given the number of guests they have.

Reviewed March 29, 2012

This place turned out to be ideal for us. . . comfortable beds with reasonable bed linens (Not those foam things that some cheap places have); a safe neighborhood with Applebys, Noodles and More, Coldstone, and CVS pharmacy within 2 short blocks (plus other dining options); 10 minutes walk to the metro; and a good breakfast for under $80/night.

The breakfast had peeled hard boiled eggs, cereal (Cheerios and Total with raisins), skim or 2% milk, Belgian waffles, toast, bagels, English muffins, doughnuts, yogurt, apples/oranges, mini muffins, and various drinks. . . though the fruit and yogurt sometimes disappeared towards the end of the 6:30-9:30 am dining time. There was wifi in the rooms, and a microwave in the lobby at the breakfast counter.

We stayed in the tower (with a double bed and a twin) where our room was clean and sufficient in size, but not a place I'd want to hang out. And we didn't. It was wonderful for a D.C. trip, being on the Metro, just one stop short of the Northeast end of the green metro line. Be sure to turn right after exiting the Metro and go through the tunnel to end up on Calvert St. We didn't and doubled our walk to the motel, the first night.

The elevator worked fine there - someone had said there wasn't one.

If you don't want to spend your vacation money on an expensive motel, I'd recommend you check this one out.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Karen K
Reviewed March 26, 2012

The hotel is bellow the standards of other Quality Inn hotels. The rooms are very old and look as if they have not been looked after.
The rooms were more or less clean - but looked dirty from stains on the beds, carpet and walls.
The shuttle service was every time late by more than half an hour.
Quite rooms.

Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing Quality Inn & Suites for your recent stay in our area.

• Shuttle service received additional training in presenting a proper, timely service.

• Management was approached about your opinion that the rooms looked dirty because of stains and it was discussed what could be done about this and bring this facility up to the standard usually held by Quality Inns.

We look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed March 22, 2012

We stayed there because it was only a short walk to the Metro to Washington. The rooms were adequate in size, very clean and had a wonderful shower (accordin to my wife.) There were plenty of towels and the normal toiletries you expect from a Choice Hotel.
The breakfast was the normal continental breakfast (Waffles,bagels,muffins,donuts,juice and coffee}.
I don't understand why anyone would miss the no parkin g sign on the left side of the Hotel. It seemed very well marked to me.
All in all it was a very pleasant 3 night stay.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 11, 2012

I just returned from five nights in the hotel. I had a room in the Tower. While the hotel looks warn, everything seemed clean in the part of the hotel I was in. However, my orange bed spread had a couple of small black spots that looked permanent marker. Also, on a couple of days my coffee wasn't replaced and the coffee maker wasn't cleaned. The first day I went to the lobby to get a replacement. The second day it was about 11:30 PM when I got back and the cleaning cart had been left at the end of the hall, so I snagged one from there.

Breakfast was acceptable - hard boiled eggs, waffle makers, and assorted breads, fruit, and juices.

Plenty of places to eat in the neighborhood, although they are more like fast food, chains, and diners. It's a 10 minute walk to the Metro. The desk printed my boarding pass that I had put on the USB. (The guest computer in the lobby does not have a printer.)

Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing Quality Inn & Suites for your recent stay in our area.

• Housekeeping was reminded of their responsibility to make sure that the coffee maker was cleaned and the coffee replaced.

• Desk staff received our commendation for the courteous, helpful way in which they treated you, our valued guest.

• Desk staff received my personal commendation for the courteous, helpful way in which they treated you, our valued guest.

• Breakfast staff received our commendation on their presentation.

I hope that the next time you visit our area, you will once again choose to stay at Quality Inn & Suites. We look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed March 5, 2012

I thought that this will be a good one, unfortunately NOT! Check in process is okay, but the room was awful! Hair strands in the bed, cob webs in all sides of the wall and a body of a dead bug...i don't know what kind. Called the Front desk to inform them and asked for the manager to come and see but a person from laundry was sent. I think the managers of the hotel are being such a slack. They should inspect the rooms and make sure that it is okay to have it rented. I usually check reviews and this time I did not. Poor me! I will not stay here again if I visit DC/Maryland area. I won't mind paying a little more if I will be assured that I will get a better one.The bed too is over used, needs to be replaced! The only thing good is just the location, other than that....None!

1  Thank rdz18

Dear Guest,

• Management was approached about setting up some sort of system whereby they would inspect the rooms periodically and see to it that they are meeting our standards.

• Housekeeping received additional instruction in meeting the level of cleanliness required of them as our employees.