“Worst housekeeping I have ever experienced in a hotel” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Holiday Inn Washington College Park

Holiday Inn Washington College Park
Ranked #4 of 11 Hotels in College Park
Silver Spring, Maryland
“Worst housekeeping I have ever experienced in a hotel”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2010

Rooms are small, dark, and dingy. Carpets smell moldy. Phone in the room was broken and when I called the front desk about it they told me I would have to use the phone in the lobby or in the hallway. I was there a week and they never bothered to fix it. When I checked in, I had to go back and ask for my breakfast coupons (I am a Priority Club member) - they should be given out automatically. But the absolute worst was the terrible housekeeping staff. Even though I was out everyday before 8 am, they still did not clean the room until after 4 pm. And did a terrible job when they finally got around to it. The only day they came early was on the day of check-out when they banged on the door and tried to get in TWICE before 9 am, even though the "do not disturb sign" was on the door. I stayed at this hotel ten years ago and remember it being much better - I don't think they have painted or cleaned the place since then. The Internet was so slow that it was not even worth trying to use it.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank JadziaDax45
HICP, Manager at Holiday Inn Washington College Park, responded to this review, September 3, 2010
I am so sorry for the failures in service you received in your stay at our hotel. I must say that this is not the standard for our property and sorry that we fell short to your expectations. We have recently gone through a renovation and have made up-grades to the property. Hopefully you’ll give us another chance when coming back to the area and we apologize for falling short of your service expectations.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
Hyattsville, MD
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2010

Power out in my neighborhood, which is why I needed a close-by hotel. The service is very good--from the front desk to the restaurant/bar. Rooms are very clean. Bathrooms very clean. Food in restaurant is good and not too pricey. Only issue I had is that I woke up whenever the a/c turned on and off. My issue--nothing wrong with the a/c.

Excellent hotel for the money.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled solo
Grafton, Massachusetts
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2010

I would have given this hotel a 5-star but for the AC that was not working on the hot days we were in DC. We travelled to DC and decided to stay here instead of the expensive hotels in DC.

The rooms are great, clean, spacious, beds are very comfortable. They have a pool which our kids (ages 10 and 6) made best use of. The staff is very friendly and went over and beyond to make sure we were comfortable during our stay. Our rates were $121/day which included free hot breakfast buffett on each of the 4 days we stayed plus the kids ate free.

Location is great as well - The hotel is right off I-495 and I-95 intersection and it was about 30 min to DC driving, 5 min to the Greenbelt Metro station (parking is free at the station during weekends or the hotel runs a shuttle there). There are a ton of good restaurants within driving distance of 20 min or less. IKEA is right behind the hotel if you want to shop there.

So why only 3 stars? We were there last week when the temperature in the area was constantly 96-97F. The rooms were hot until about 1am because the AC unit could not keep up. The facilities person even replaced the AC unit in our room with a brand new unit to no avail. They gave us an extra room for no charge for the last night so that we could sleep comfortably and they dropped out rate to $99 without even asking. The other room was OK in terms of cooling. It was obvious that the AC could not handle the high temperatures.

So overall, we loved the location, the service and the breakfast. But the AC was a bummer. But if you are going to be in the DC area when it is not going to be super hot, this hotel is of great value. I hope the management realizes that if they fix the AC, they have a winner.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank gopalshenoy
Little Rock, Arkansas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2010

My wife and I traveled with our son and family for History Day competition on the nearby U of Maryland campus in mid June for a week. Our rooms were extremely clean and quiet. The shuttle service really helped us in reaching the campus and the metro. Without our own transportation, we were limited on places to eat. We did make use of the hotel restaurant, IKEA. and Blazing Wings. Also, the local pizza places made swift deliveries. A complimentary breakfast would have been helpful.

I would suggest checking the room rate online through HOTEL, EXPEDIA, etc. The local school system made reservations for the entire group (10 rooms) directly with Holiday Inn and were to receive a special rate which turned out to be 10-15% higher than the advertised price on the above mentioned sites.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
New Jersey, USA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 2, 2009

Taking my son to visit the University of Maryland was looking scary after seeing the abysmal reviews of the five hotels closer according to Google maps. THIS hotel is clean, and the décor including carpets, linens, furniture, and bathroom new and tasteful. There is a good steakhouse on site and an informal "wings-focused" restaurant across the parking lot. The front desk staff were helpful and the rate for the night was only $99. Driving to the college was less than 10 minutes at 7:30 AM, but more than 15 minutes at 8:45 AM. The high speed internet worked fine. I shall return!

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with family
2 Thank travel08003
Long Island
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 16, 2009

We arrived on Friday at 1:30pm and were able to check in early. The room, a king non smoking, was very clean. Bed was comfortable, bathroom is roomy, shower is great. The only complaint I had was when we came back up to the room Friday night at 10pm, there seemed to be a party going on in a room a few doors down. Management took care of the problem. Breakfast at the onsite restaurant was fine. This hotel is right next to the highway so there is easy access on and off. There is also an Ikea right behing it as well as a small shopping center next door. I would definetly stay here again.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank paisley201
Atlanta
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 9, 2009

When I planned my trip to the National Archives, I was anxious about being alone. Staying at this Holiday Inn was a great experience. Their shuttle took me to the Archives, door to door. I enjoyed my dinners in the restaurant. I never had to leave the hotel. As a "senior citizen" this was important, and when I return to the National Archives I will definitely stay there again.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business
Clarion Inn
Clarion Inn
#7 of 11 in College Park
Hilton Garden Inn Washington DC / Greenbelt

Been to Holiday Inn Washington College Park? Share your experiences!