“Not sure why the bad reviews . . .”

Holiday Inn Washington College Park
Ranked #3 of 11 Hotels in College Park
“Not sure why the bad reviews . . .”
Reviewed August 28, 2014 via mobile

We stay here often with a child attending Maryland. Nothing fancy but clean and comfortable. Free wifi and parking. Staff always friendly. For a few nights it's fine and I've stayed at worse in the area. A microwave and fridge in the room. With points it's always free . . . Right off highway and on route 1

Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank IrishKate57

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
Verona
Reviewed August 26, 2014

I do not know how to leave a 2 1/2 dot rating so I am being generous with the 3 dot.

This was the fourth time I stayed at this hotel and I will say it may have been my last.

Check in was seamless. They upgraded the entrance and waiting area to more of a business center.
The rooms seem to have been remodeled but some things to point out that were not thought out.
1. Why position the light switch so far away from the front door, especially when entering a dark room. Took over thirty seconds to find; not easy with hands full luggage.
2. Why is the toilet paper roll so far away from the toilet? I don't want to have to get up to reach the TP
3. Water pressure is very low in the shower.
4. The newer sink is pretty but there is nowhere to place my toiletry bag. What happened to the vanity sized sink?
5. The television reception was poor.
6. Is it really necessary for the service maid to come at 8:15 am to clean the room, and then come back at 9:00?
7. Last thing I want to do after checking in is walk back out to my car to place a parking sticker in my window.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Michael D
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Washington College Park, responded to this review, September 10, 2014
Dear MGomezD,

Thank you for your loyalty in choosing Holiday Inn for your travels. It is nice to know that you had a smooth check-in, however, we regret that the room quality was a letdown during your stay. We apologize for any inconvenience you may have encountered. It means a lot to us that you have taken the time to write an insightful review and we hope you will return someday to see how we are continuously improving.

Comments like these are of great importance to us and allow us to monitor and improve our service continually. We hope that if your travels brings you back to our area, you would give us another opportunity to provide the excellent accommodations you were expecting.

Kind Regards,

Tracy V.
Case Manager
IHGCare
Reviewed August 14, 2014 via mobile

This hotel is clearly very old and could use a remodel. For the price, I feel that they could do much better. Most Maryland hotels are 2 things: dingy and expensive, and this one certainly lives up to that. The room seemed fairly clean, but I wouldn't rate the cleanliness fantastic by any means.

Even though they have a large, half empty parking lot, you have to get a tag from the desk. The security guard outside reminded me to remove all valuables from my car. I'm not sure whether I should have felt safer because a security guard was there or worried that there was a need for one.

Overall this hotel is exactly what I rated it - just okay.

Stayed August 2014
1 Thank B33rMePlz
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Washington College Park, responded to this review, August 29, 2014
Dear B33rMePlz,

Thank you for your recent stay with us and reviewing our property. Our efforts are always to ensure our guests are satisfied and our hotel is maintained to be comfortable while you are with us. It is disappointing to know that the the condition of our facilities fell short of your expectations. We have taken note of your feedback as this will help us to continually improve the services and facilities we offer to our guests.

We value your comments and we hope to have another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

Karen C
Case Manager
IHGCare
Germany
Reviewed August 10, 2014 via mobile

Due to circumstances out of our control we were diverted here overnight from BWI. The staff made multiple travel weary groups as comfortable as possible. Charlie the engineer, Diana in the restaurant, Lisa, Kylea, Lillian, Keisha and Gerardo and every person on staff we met offered exceptional service. Thank you for the excellent care.

• Stayed August 2014
HICP, General Manager at Holiday Inn Washington College Park, responded to this review, August 12, 2014
Dear Summertravelin,
Thanks for the excellent comments about the our staff members, I have shared you comments with the entire staff but I have given a special thanks to Charlie, Diane, Lisa, Kylea, Lilian, Keisha and Gerado.

I sincerely appreciate your warm and kind words and glad that our staff made you feel welcomed at our property. Thanks for your feedback and hope to see you back soon.
Auburn, Alabama
Reviewed August 10, 2014

I was at this hotel in late July, 2014 for a business meeting in nearby College Park, MD. I stayed for 2 days and it was in a very convenient location if you have meetings at Univ. Maryland or many of the businesses in the College Park / Greenbelt area. The staff was friendly enough and the rooms were not in bad shape. I agree with other commenters that it could use a renovation - it is a bit dark. The bed in my room was a bit soft for my taste and the air conditioning unit was a bit loud. Nothing that I could not live with, but not exactly a stellar experience. There is free wifi which was quite decent - as compared to other hotels I have stayed in. The breakfast area was a bit crowded the one morning I went there - but there were clearly lots of vacationing families at the hotel, so service was a little slow. Overall, it is not a bad place. It is clean and in a good location and I would not have any problems staying there again for work. However, if you are looking for a five-star experience, look elsewhere.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
2 Thank Bama_world_traveler
Dear Bama_world_traveler,
We are sorry that we did not exceed your expectations on your recent visit to our property. We are planning some renovations in our second tower within the next few months. I hope that you will return to see the improvement in some of our guest rooms. Thank you for your feedback and hope that you will come back soon.

Warm Regards.
Niantic, Connecticut
Reviewed August 8, 2014

We picked this hotel because it was in a quiet location but close enough to DC. It was just about what we expected-good location. We did have a problem with the room we were assigned and I went to the front desk to ask if we could get another room and they were able to do that and did not charge any extra for that. It was very comfortable and the service was great. All around great experience.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Dear jagianelli,
We are so pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us, thanks for taking the time to review our hotel an offer feedback for improvement. We hope your travels will bring your back to our doors.
Thank you so much.

Sincerly
Palm Beach, Florida
Reviewed August 3, 2014

I stayed here twice over 2 weeks (for a total fo 5 nights). The hotel was convenient to where I was working. The rate seemed very low for the area. I found out why. The hotel seriously needs an update. The rooms are dark, the lighting is bad and the furniture is dark and circa 1980's. There was a girls basketball tournament in the area and several teams were staying in the hotel and they were noisy late into the night. Not that the noise was the hotel's fault but the sound really carries in the halls. The restaurant attached to the hotel was not very good. I ate there one night and had the salad bar as part of my meal. There was almost no lettuce and the pastas and other items looked like they had been sitting out too long. Fortunately, there's a Buffalo Wild Wings and Chipotle across the parking lot (about a 5 min walk). There is not enough parking and when I arrived from the airport late at night I had to park well away from the entrance there were some sketchy looking characters hanging out in the parking lot - I did not feel safe.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Dear Pistolpjh,
We are sorry that we did exceed your expectations. We will be doing some renovations within next few months to some guest rooms, and hope that you will return to see some of the new updates at the property.

I have shared your comments with our entire staff and management and we are re-training on some of the items you have indicated about the restaurant. We also provide security to ensure all of our guest feel secure at our location. We apologize and hope you will afford us another opportunity to serve you. Thanks for your comments and feedback.
Warm Regards
Holiday Inn Washington DC / Greenbelt
Clarion Inn
Clarion Inn
#8 of 11 in College Park

Been to Holiday Inn Washington College Park? Share your experiences!