“A welcome stay!”

Ranked #8 of 11 Hotels in College Park
Los Angeles, California
“A welcome stay!”
Reviewed May 5, 2014

We stayed at the Clarion Inn in April 2014. This hotel was more than expected. For the price we were expecting lower quality than we received. From the indoor heated pool and Jacuzzi to the shuttle service, we were pleasantly surprised. Breakfast included a homemade waffle, fresh fruit, yogurt, hot coffee and doughnuts. The shuttle service drop off and pick up, convenient to the College Park Metro, University of Maryland, or anywhere in a five-mile radius was a great money saver. The indoor rooms are adjacent to the pool area and can be noisy at times but that was expected due to large group checking in, but things quiet down around 10pm when the fun dome closes. My young daughter was happy to go swimming everyday in the heated indoor pool. With all the groups coming in we met people from all over the world. Karaoke in the Varsity lounge and dinner at the Asian Fusion restaurant (located inside the hotel) meant we did not have to travel far after a long day visiting the Washington D.C. area. Staying at the Clarion Inn and Fun dome was like a vacation during a vacation. Thanks Alan and April at the front desk. They made sure all of our needs were taken care of. There's no better stay in College Park. I am a guest for life.

Room Tip: For a quieter experience choose rooms on the outside and upstairs. Order shuttle service early somet...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
Outlook, Canada
Reviewed April 29, 2014

Middle of the road. Not run down, not super nice. Good for what we paid. Front desk was very helpful and friendly. Easy to get downtown DC and to the interstate. The rooms are in no way sound proof, can easily hear people outside and in the adjoining rooms.

• Stayed April 2014
1 Thank kwphileo
Long Island, NY
Reviewed April 29, 2014

I will break this review down into two parts,. We needed to stay one night in April due to my older daughter's UMD sorority function the following morning.
Short version:
-rude night desk staff
-roll away bed ordered over phone prior to arrival, but clerk never put it on order
-chlorine odor everywhere
-noisy, crowded, questionable clientele
-dated, stained up room with lumpy beds with questionable linens
-bizarre bathroom
-thin walls without soundproofing
-questionable security, safety
-stay ANYWHERE else.
Longer narrative:
On arrival, the motel was jumping due to a party going on. It was late, we (husband, younger daughter and myself) had driven close to 5 hours. On check in, the clerk said the rollaway wasn't put on the order, but seemed to blame this on us and proceeded to seem to ridicule us for her coworkers entertainment. She could have simply said, "I don't see it marked here, but I can add it." This went on and on. I was ready to just leave, but because of Maryland Day, I realized we were stuck, most hotels would be booked. We didn't fight her or raise our voices. Realize we were exhausted from the ride.
The clerk must have realized she was unreasonable and being a real witch, or else a coworker kicked her,and suddenly she became more professional and started acting more pleasant. It was a weird Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde moment. She told us to call the front desk if the roll away wasn't already in the room (which was how she should have handled it from the beginning) and gave us her name and told us she wanted to make our stay pleasant...I now believe in the Twilight Zone from her behavior....and yes i remember her name.
The drive to the back of the lot was an obstacle course due to the congregation of people in cars for the attached restaurant. Rooms are divided odd and even on different sides of the building, making finding your room into a treasure hunt. Patrons of this motel hang out outside of their rooms smoking, talking loudly- like a trailer park- way into the small hours of the morning. My daughter looked into a room as we passed and she wanted to know if these loud people were "living" there. Once these people were back in their room, the noise just came right through the walls.
The roll away was not in the room. we called and the response was prompt. When my husband went to tip the man, it seemed like he never gets tipped....ever. The room itself was 60's throwback. I've never done this before, but I checked for bedbugs. None. I was disgusted, but tired. Just one night. My husband went out with our college daughter and left me alone with my younger daughter. We set the locks very quickly. We did not feel safe. When he returned, we jammed a chair under the doorknob for more safety.
In the morning the fun continued as I went to shower. I am 5'2" tall and yet once I stepped into the tub to shower, my head cleared the ceiling with only a few inches to spare. The shower head was almost eye level and it would have been a snap for me to change the shower curtain or lightbulbs in the ceiling fixture. I had to squat to rinse shampoo from my hair. I warned my husband who is considerably taller than I am. Think Gulliver's Travels. If you are tall, don't even bother....take a bath.
By the time we got to the complimentary breakfast it was mostly gone, but really good coffee. It was in this area you could see how the hotel had once just been a motel situated around a pool and a roof had been tacked on to enclose it. My husband went to check out and the morning crew was Iike night and day to the night crew. Extremely pleasant.
The best part of the stay was leaving. I can't understand the good reviews this motel got...but then again, I now know the Twilight Zone exists. There are plenty of other hotel/ motels in the area. Book early elsewhere. You will thank me.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
4 Thank Unoudeux

Travelers are raving about these College Park hotels

Fairfax, Virginia
Reviewed April 20, 2014

This hotel isn't bad - it's older and you can tell it's dated. The layout is strange - some rooms are inside the main building and others have exterior entrances. The room was clean and comfortable and the front desk staff were pleasant - I received a call to check and see if everything was okay shortly after getting in the room.

The main building has the FunDome area - it's a small indoor pool and a hot tub that wasn't working when I was there (much to my disappointment). There are also a handful of video games. The whole area was very dark and could have used some upgrades, including better lighting. I believe the county requires hotel pools to have lifeguards, so that probably limits the hours the pool is open in order to minimize costs.

There is a bar and restaurant on the premises - when I went, the place was dead and I wasn't even sure if the restaurant was open. I had a couple of drinks at the bar.

All in all, this was a really good value and I think it could be a really great establishment with a few upgrades and a little bit of maintenance.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
Albany, New York
Reviewed March 19, 2014

Upon check-in, we were upgraded, no cost, to an available larger room, which was really to our advantage, because our second day there we were snowed in. Very cozy and comfortable...good breakfast, and a nice Asian fusion restaurant on premises. Short walk to a 7-11 across the street, and not to far down the road was a strip mall with several inexpensive restaurants.
We used the shuttle to get to and from the Metro...we were on a tourist visit to DC, and only had a problem the last day when we waited almost 1 hour for pickup at the station in the evening...it was freezing cold outside, and involved several phonecalls to finally get picked up...no explanation or apology from driver...therefore, no tip from us.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

1 Thank Kevin K
Oxford, Pennsylvania
Reviewed March 17, 2014

We were attending the Horse Bowl Competition held at the University of Maryland. The location to the University was very close. The staff was very friendly. Our room was clean, and we had a great two nights of sleep. The homemade waffles were great. We are coming back in June for another weekend.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Wooster, Ohio
Reviewed March 17, 2014

The hotel offers excellent customer service. Front Desk is extremely helpful. We asked for a room with Microwave and mini fridge, but our room did not have what was requested. Front desk solve problems immediately. Room and bath room are really clean.

The hotel condition, however, was not as good as expected. Room was small. As you walked in the lobby, you can smell the chlorine of the pool (!!!!).

My tip? Go to other hotel.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple