“Favorite. Pizza. Ever.”

Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Delivery, Takeout
Description: http://www.cvs.umd.edu/cmps/other_dining.html
Reviewed June 21, 2012

I used to live in the area & ate at Mamma Lucia's quite often. Every time I visit, it is on the top of my list of restaurants to go to. I like their pizza more than any pizza I've had anywhere. I have sampled some other items on the menu, and everything I've had has been really good. I have been going to these restaurants since I was a kid and let's just say I'm not a kid anymore, but I am so glad that they still exist & have several locations.

There are newer reviews for Mamma Lucia's

Reviewed November 13, 2011

Good pizza and caesar salad near University of Maryland campus. Friendly service and large tables.

Reviewed October 31, 2011

I generally love Mamma Lucia's restaurants, but the College Park one is not as good as the others. Their pizza is not good. The crust is too thick for New York Style and the crust is always hard. They do have some good pasta dishes - penne vodka and the raviolli rose is pretty good. The bread they serve with the meals is way too think and tastes stale. The other restaurants are always fresh and hot!

It's very different from other Mamma Lucia's in the area. Last week I had lunch there and the steak & cheese sub I ordered was so salty I could not eat it. Their service is pretty good, but their food is not great!

Reviewed September 5, 2011

Very courteous and efficient waiter. Decor is plain-jane fast food. We ordered Italian dinners. Quality good but they were 25% higher priced than better, similar meals from national chains like Olive Garden. This place is in a mall near the UM campus and it specializes in fast-food lunches, when they use a walk-up order system. Dinner portions are large and we made a meal of the leftovers.

Reviewed August 30, 2011

We were having problems finding good food where we were staying so decided to drive to this restaurant based on the reviews we found here. We ordered the Mama Special's pizza and a salad. Salad was a notch above what you usually find at an Italian restaurant like this, but the pizza is what makes the grade. And since we are from CT which has a wealth of independent Italian restaurants, we have a good base of comparison.

Anyways, I found the pizza good to very good. It is a Neopolitan style pizza. I would have ranked it higher except it arrived cool/warm instead of hot. It was towards the end of the dinner hour and not that busy, so I think they kind of forgot about our pizza. Pizza was also a little light on the red sauce. So based on taste, I'll give it 4 out of 5 stars. Unfortunately, taste is not the end all...we also need to consider our pocketbook. We ordered the largest which has a mid-20's price. Perhaps I'm spoiled, but back in CT the same size Special would be a shade less than 20 bucks. So I'm going to dock it a point for price.

The service we got that night was adequate but not stellar. Howeve, server admitted to us that it was her first night. As a result, I cannot add back a point for service. So my final rating is 3 of 5 stars. If they can lower the price a little, then I'd make it above average.

1  Thank consolz