“Food Overshadowed by Poor Service” 3 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #14 of 107 Restaurants in College Park
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Iron River, Wisconsin
“Food Overshadowed by Poor Service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

We ate at Azteca Restaurant on a Tuesday night. We arrived early and were one of maybe 4 tables full. There were two waitresses overseeing these 4 tables. I don't consider myself a demanding but when I asked for a refill on my water, it took more than 10-minutes and it was after our food came so I either had to go thirsty or let my food get cold. Just little stuff like that is a bit annoying. As for the food, the chips and salsa were good. We both did the fajitas aztecas as our main meal. As far as fajitas go, the meat was cooked well but there wasn't much in terms of flavor. And, it was a bit overpriced considering how bland it was. I wouldn't say it was bad, just not as good as I expected based on some of the reviews I read. Overall, if you like plain jane Mexican, the atmosphere is nice and the menu is diverse. But, we weren't blown away and the lack of service was just frustrating, given how dead the restaurant was.

• Visited March 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars

Pittsburgh, PA
“Margaritas: Good; Food: So-So”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

Kinda average Mexican place. Lots of selections on the menu, but nothing really stood out except the Margaritas

Visited January 2013
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Horrible”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012

First time there, 11.75 for a margarita which was a cup size HORRIBLE! Ordered at 12:10, and didnt get food til 1:13, food was cold. I ordered tacos and it was served with ranch, my mothers white rice was from the bottom of the pot which was brown burnt, i gave back the tacos and asked for a better batch and i was told it would take 45 min, i said nvm keep the food and lose a client. The worse place i have ever been to, i dont EVER give reviews but its so needed for this place, I was so tempted to warn the people waiting on their food.

• 2 of 5 stars
1 Thank lulove41
College Park, Maryland
“Delicious, authentic and fresh Mexican cuisine!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012 via mobile

We started off with the camarones al ajillo and guacamole dip as appetizers. The guacamole was obviously homemade and fresh. It tasted so good. The shrimp were full of flavor and just enough as an appetizer. We ordered the fajitas aztecas which comes with beef, chicken and shrimp as well as all the trimmings. The chicken was my favorite from the three. The beef had great flavor but was a little tough. The shrimp were pretty good. We also got a chicken chimichanga. It was quite possibly the best chimichanga I have ever had. The chicken and cheese on the inside were perfectly seasoned and full of flavor. The menu was large with lots of items that sounded delicious. We will be back for sure.

College Park, MD
“People who Don't Like Mexican, Will.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012

Wow this is a great restaurant. It's in a former credit union building and there's plenty of space and light. The atmosphere is upscale-comfortable. The service can be a smidge innattentive, but...we came there for a Sunday lunch fifteen minutes before the brunch buffet was due to be taken down; they offered to keep it open as long as we liked; we declined but came back the next Sunday for lunch. Their Mexican food is very tasty, everything we've had we liked. Your fellow diners are going to be mostly Mexicans so that's a good sign. The Sunday Brunch was excellent too - huge omelets made to order, sausage, chicken dishes, fish, enchiladas, beef, waffles made to order, fruit, salads, all with live music and at a very reasonable cost. Do not hesitate to visit this lovely gem in College Park.

• Visited August 2012