“Slow, terrible service and a mixed bag for food”

Azteca Restaurant and Cantina
Ranked #12 of 113 Restaurants in College Park
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed April 9, 2012

We got to the restaurant at 4:45pm on a Thursday and after sitting there for 10 minutes 2 employees looked at us, looked at their watches, argued and then left (the restaurant claims to be open 11am to 11pm, so no closing time!) We didn't see a waitress for another 5 minutes. So, we were a little put off at that point. We gave her both our drink and food order. Drinks came and my frozen margarita was more than half foam - not cool. Then other couples started arriving and they had their orders taken promptly. However, we knew something was up when one of the couples got their fajitas before our food was served to us and they had their order taken more than 10 minutes after us. So, after arriving 50 minutes prior, we finally got our food: my husband's fajitas were delicious and obviously fresh. However, my lomo saltado had been obviously waiting for my husband's food as it was lukewarm, the fries were completely mushy and the rice was hard and dry. I should've sent it back then, but by the time we got our food I was so hungry, I was willing to eat what I could.

After all this, to get a bill for over $50 for mediocre mexican food just added insult to injury. Also, the chips were weird. If you ate them with the tasty salsa, they were fine, but if you ate them alone, they tasted like breakfast corn flakes. Bizarre. We've had friends tell us they've never had a bad experience and we should give them another shot, so we're willing to do that - going at a busier time on a Sat, but they need to change how they do things: first make sure you are staffed fully during the day - don't let a customer go 20 minutes without someone taking their order (we almost left we were getting so mad) and if something happens to an order, don't let one of the dishes sit as it becomes inedible. When you serve stuff like that, it doesn't make that person eating it want to come back to your restaurant ever again. Make sure everything leaving the kitchen is fresh, hot and something you'd like to eat yourself. That lomo saltado should've never hit my table.

Again, we are willing to give it another shot, but after assuming they've got the B Team working on Thursdays, we'll be going on a Saturday night sometime. If they've improved, I'll be sure to leave another review reflecting the improved experience, however, if they haven't, they will most definitely get another review but I won't be so kind with the rating of 3 stars; It will be a 2 next time.

2  Thank writtenbyheidi

Reviewed March 27, 2012

My partner and I had an excellent dinner at the Azteca Restaurant and Cantina in College Park. The food was delicious and the service was excellent. Josue our server was attentive and very friendly. When in College Park visit the Azteca for a fine Mexican dinner.

1  Thank bb6739
Reviewed March 26, 2012

The service is very good. We were greeted multiple times upon entering and the server was very friendly and knew the menu very well. The owner came by and introduced himself and asked us how our food was. The menu is reasonably priced with a wide variety to choose from. We both ordered the chicken fajitas which were huge and very delicious. Our food came out very quickly and the restaurant was very clean with a great atmosphere. Only problem is that the parking lot is small and you might have trouble getting a spot when it is busy. We will definitely be going back!

Reviewed February 4, 2012

This place is very nice! The food was excellent. Best tres leches cake I've ever had, hands down! Service was a little slow but everyone was really nice.

Reviewed January 17, 2012

You'll find Azteca across Route 1, from the Honda Dealer, just south of the Bltwy entrance, on Rt 1; dont blink! Pull-off quickly, to the right side of the entrance; lotsa hidden free parking back there! New, clean, lovely, with daytime tablecloths were my first impressions! If like me, you have problems with thick accents (owners/workers seem to be maybe from El Salvadore), ask for 'Drew;' his accent is from Minnesota! In a hurry, we found the menu a little 'busy' & hard to follow, on first sight. After ordering off the 'luncheon square,' I found the ala carte section, I wished I'd noticed earlier. Sticking with familiar fare, was very pleased to find shredded vs. ground beef in my tacos, and enchiladas were stuffed with fresh-tasting chicken. Everything tasted 'authentic!' 2 temps. of hot sauce was a plus. Large portions, & tho hungry, we couldnt finish, & wished we'd brought our own recyclable take-home containers (tho styro served us well). Will return for more diverse offerings from their large menu, that tempts with extensive, mouthwatering seafood offerings, from Sopa de Mariscos to Azteca Pasta (chicken,sausage, & shrimp, with a nice array of veggies)! Am also curious about the Sun. Brunch,10:30-3pm. Only negative was our margaritas. Was happy chose smallest of 3 sizes of the frozen original. It seemed over-pulverized, making my friend suspect a 'mix?' Tho almost whipped, with an offtaste that I could only describe as 'stale ice,' I detected no powdery taste. Drew assured the ice was fresh, and I admit to being overly sensitive, but I found the same taste in my drinking water. I think they may need to use commercial drinking water & ice, until the long-time unused water suppy pipes flush themselves out, but I could be wrong! At 1st glance, as you zip down the always-busy highway, it appears there's only 4 or 5 prkng places, in the front. I fear unless a HUGE sign is soon errected, stating "Parking in Rear,"(with a big arrow, showing where to hop off the road), that Asteca will be short-lived (and that would be a shame).