“Very Diappointed”

Ranked #3 of 12 Hotels in College Park
NY
“Very Diappointed”
Reviewed December 30, 2009

My complaint is more about the management than the hotel. The hotel itself is fine, typical Hampton Fare. We've stayed about 5 times in the past, and even when we had problems, I gave this hotel a good review. The last time we stayed last spring, they overbooked, and had nothing ready for us at 4 pm. We booked a suite. They told us to leave our bags, and come back later. when we returned at night, we went up to our room and found a double room for 3 people. I went down and said this isn't what I booked. They gave away our room. They had one suite left, but on the smoking floor. Usually I don't care, but I had a cough, and the smoke from the hall was killing me. they moved us the next night. Not an offer of even a bottled water, but I still gave a good review, no complaints from me. Another time, I paid cash for my room, and they charged my card anyway. We had to wait for them to review their video tape to refund my money. They did, and again, not an offer of anything, but again, I gave a glowing review. This time I will not. We were booked for my son's graduation, 2 rooms, one suite, one regular double. It was the weekend of the Dec. blizzard. The school canceled the main graduation, but would not call off the individual graduations for the Sunday, so we had the rooms and still contemplated driving 5 hrs, in case he marched. As the day went on, the weather was truly horrible, and my husband said, no matter if the school cancels, how can we drive 5 hrs through blinding snow, so I sadly called to cancel. The school canceled the Sunday ceremonies an hour or so later anyway. I asked the hotel to please not charge for these rooms, despite the 24 hour cancellation policy, due to forces of nature. I said to them, even if I drive out tonight, there is no graduation to attend, and I probably can't even get into your parking lot. There was 20 inches of snow. The clerk laughed and said, you probably can't get into our lot. He told me to speak to management , and they would probably not hold us responsible for the charges. Well, when I called on the Monday morning, the general manager said, "sorry we are sticking to our 24 hour cancelation policy" I begged to no avail. I mentioned I had been to their hotel many times, and needed to rebook for May, as my son will attend that graduation. she didn't care. I got Hilton involved. The hotel called and told me they would only charge me for 1 room , not 2. Well, guess what, I was charged for 2 rooms. Tough on me. Hilton emailed me back, telling me the hotel resolved it, and canceled 2 out of 3 rooms I had booked. I wrote back to them, and let them know, that I had 2 rooms, not 3 and guess what, I was charged anyway for both rooms. I told them that the Hilton brand would no longer be a choice for me. I know some people won't be interested in this story, as it doesn't really speak about the property itself, but some of you reading this, might think twice of the treatment you might receive yourself from this place. by the way, the woman who runs the breakfast area is a doll.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with family
4 Thank mittmott

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Pennsylvaina
Reviewed August 24, 2009

My wife and i had planned a weekend visit to the Washington area. We did not want to stay right downtown because there were other attractions that we wanted to visit and they were scattered through out the general area. This hotel was a perfect choice. It is located about 3 blocks from I-495. Very easy to get off and on. Only about 10 miles from downtown DC. and close to Silver Springs where there are some great restaurants and shops.
We arrived at the hotel early (9AM) knowing that we could not get to our room, but with the intention of checking in, so we didn't have to go through that when we returned later that evening. The desk clerk was very accommodating. He even invited us to have breakfast while we were there at no extra cost. Since we were going to stop anyway, we took him up on his offer. Upon returning that night all we had to do was go right to our room. Cannot say enough about the helpfulness of the staff. The room was clean and the bed very comfortable. So...if you are visiting Washington and if you don't mind the short drive, then this is the place to stay. I know we will be going back when we are in the area.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank jadams444
Yonkers, New York
Reviewed July 8, 2009

I thought smoking wasn’t allowed in hotels anymore? Well it is in this one! We requested a non-smoking room and when we arrived there wasn’t one available. I stayed at the hotel with my boyfriend and his family, so we used several rooms. After we checked in a few hours later my boyfriend’s brother checked in and received a non-smoking room. I thought there wasn’t any available? I’m an ex-smoker; the smell in the room can’t come out no matter how much you sanitize it. We called the front desk and they said they would look for a non-smoking room and they never got back to us. After two nights, they moved to a non-smoking room on a floor that is being repainted. The entire floor smelled like spray paint…. you can get a high just walking into the hallway…. My boyfriend’s family experienced some other issues such as an issue with the toilet, a bachelor party with strippers in the hallway and being put in a room that was just painted with their 5 year old child. The breakfast was ok, the breakfast area was clean. The gym consists of three machines, including a broken treadmill. The pool looked ok. Parking was good and you can walk to IHOP. Research places to eat in that area before traveling! There was a pizzeria not too far away that was terrible. The food sucked and the staff had an attitude. You’re better off going to the Dominos or Pizza hut in the area.

• Stayed April 2009
1 Thank epoh84
Naples, Florida
Reviewed April 28, 2009

The location of this Hampton Inn is great - easy access to DC via Metro Greenbelt Station, close to shopping and restaurants, and excellent service. All Hampton Inn amenities and predictably high quality.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled on business
Bethesda, Maryland
Reviewed July 22, 2008

Second time I have stayed at this location. Two night stay on the second floor was disappointing. A large group of kids were staying on the same floor. Lots of doors slamming, cigarette smoke in the hallway and hanging out in the lobby. I have to say that the suite I was in did keep the noise out pretty well. Still, given that I am in town on business, I wish they could have put me on a different floor.

• Stayed June 2008, traveled on business
1 Thank NeptuneLou
Kansas
Reviewed June 7, 2008

This was my third stay at a Hampton Inn. I specifically booked here because of my experience at the the other two I had stayed at.

The hotel had all the Hampton Inn staples, the bed and pillows(really comfortable), wireless internet.

My room had a microwave and refrigerator.

I had two complaints. I stayed on the second floor and it smelled like smoke terribly. My room did not, but as soon as you got off the elevator or opened the room door, it was overwhelming. I didn't complain though so I can't comment on a solution! Also, my tv wasn't clear, again I didn't complain.

The location was easy to find from the airport. We were there for Odyssey of the Mind World competition at University of Maryland, and it was easy to find from the hotel as well. There is a Starbucks right across the street.

• Liked — Hampton Inn comforts
  • Disliked — Smoke odor on my floor, tv not clear
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
Milford, Ohio
Reviewed January 21, 2008

Just got back from staying 3 nights at the College Park, MD Hampton Inn with my family. I chose this hotel because of it's location to an event we were attending in College Park and because of the Hampton name and past experience.

It lived up to the Hampton name just fine. The room was clean and orderly. We had a 2 double bed room. The room had a larger version of a mini-fridge along with a microwave, work desk and the normal stuff. I'd much prefer Queens, but they didn't have them and I knew what I was getting into when I reserved it. The beds were extremely comfortable and I think I actually slept better than I do at home . . . which is unusual.

The breakfast was good and the service from the staff and breakfast people was great. My young Son wanted waffles one morning like he had the day before and they weren't sitting out that day. The hostess went to the back and got him just what he wanted. Really nice.

Didn't take the opportunity to try out the exercize room or the indoor pool although both look very appealing. We were looking for a hot tub after one day of hectic walking, but unfortunately this hotel didn't have one.

The inn is located right by an IHOP if you'd rather have a different kind of breakfast. It is also located one exit North of a Metro station so if you need to head into DC via the Metro, it works out. Not a whole lot of eating places in the immediate area although we hit a italian/pizza place and a burger/chilli place in a strip mall across the way that were both excellent. There was a steak place located in another hotel chain we ate at . . . don't bother.

If you're heading to the College Park area, then this place works great. We had friends staying at another brand and they were not nearly as pleased. If you're soul purpose is to visit Washington DC, then I would choose the Embassy Suites in Alexandria Virginia as it is right across from a Metro station, a really nice hotel and easy access to downtown DC . . . however it's a lot pricier than this stay was.

• Liked — The beds were excellent!!
  • Disliked — Sure could have used a hot tub after one of our adventures
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled with family
Days Inn College Park
Days Inn College Park
#7 of 12 in College Park
Holiday Inn Washington DC / Greenbelt

Been to Hampton Inn - College Park? Share your experiences!