“Could have been awesome”

Hampton Inn - College Park
Ranked #2 of 11 Hotels in College Park
Yorktown Heights, United States
“Could have been awesome”
Reviewed May 30, 2014

This hotel experience could have been fantastic. The hotel is clean, the rooms are well done, updated and large. The cleaning staff is very competent and the breakfast servers were helpful. UNFORTUNATELY, the desk staff was rude, obnoxious and pretended to not speak English when I attemped to check my reservation with 3 tries, on hold and disconnected. When I finally spoke to an agent she could not understand the English alphabet when I gave her my address and rewards number. Amazing- when I spoke in Spanish, her English became fluent. The desk staff was rude and ruined ti.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends

3 Thank Lori C

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Bradenton, Florida
Reviewed May 26, 2014

There are some things you just know about Hampton Inn as part of their brand. Their food is mediocre, they insist for some reason on using only flimsy paper cups throughout the hotel. Generally, rooms are clean and beds are comfortable.

This Hampton Inn has some management issues in my opinion.

Let's start with the room. There are a few basics that you expect in a modern hotel. One of them is a shower. We checked into a room that had a broken valve that made it very difficult to turn on the water and adjust the temperature. After five minutes I managed to get it to work. I don't think my wife could have.

The air handler has an annoying habit of grinding it's teeth when the compressor comes on.

Most annoying, our room was not cleaned and we were left with a pile of towels on the floor. We had the DND sign on the door overnight, took it off at 10:00 AM and went out for three hours. Then we had the DND out from 1:15 to 3:00. When we left there was a cleaning cart in the hall, so we assumed the room would be serviced. It was not.

In the rest of the hotel there was more sloppiness. The business center sports a computer with seriously outdated applications and security. Third party pop ups are all over the place. And of course the printer was out of toner and there was none in stock.

Add non working ice machines and you start to get my drift.

Why do I assume management problems? Because each of these problems could have been avoided if there were training that encouraged maids, maintenance and service people to report issues proactively. I get the impression that problems are only handled when a guest is inconvenienced, if then. The maid must have known that the shower valve was defective when she cleaned. If there was training to look for maintenance issues she surely would have noticed the rattle in the air conditioner. And isn't there a protocol with a phone call or a knock on the door before quitting at the end of the day if a room hasn't been cleaned? All of these problems could have been avoided with a little encouragement to speak up if you see an issue.

To be fair, the bed was comfortable and I had a ripe banana at the breakfast buffet.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank whatever5
Reviewed May 14, 2014

Stayed there to pick our son up from college - great location - great staff - newly renovated lobby and breakfast area are the tops - great location to local colleges and to the Metro so makes it a great place to stay if you are touring DC

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family

1 Thank 559christineg
Mount Holly, New Jersey
Reviewed May 4, 2014

I've stayed at this hotel multiple times over the past several years, and each time has been good. They have a nice indoor pool and a small exercise room with some treadmills. The hotel is well located near the 495 Beltway, and just a few minutes from the Greenbelt Metro station. There is plenty of retail nearby, including a supermarket and an Ikea. By car, its about 30 minutes to downtown DC on a weekend. Good breakfast buffet with a waffle station... but if you get tired of the buffet, there is an iHop right next door to the hotel.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Mike K
Reviewed April 27, 2014

Unkind checkin person, pool only opened at night (I think 5-9), terrible beds - no sleep! We have almost exclusively stayed at Hampton our whole married life and this was the worst experience overall. Most of the staff was very kind and helpful. It was only the check-in staff that told me I could not check in because I put the reservation in my husband's name but I always do that when I travel with the kids alone. We love to swim and that was not an option with such limited hours. Finally, the worst part was the worn out mattresses that prevented me from sleeping most of the night due to back pain. I do have a sensitive back due to scoliosis so that is one of the major reasons we choose Hampton Inns. Those mattresses should have been replace a while back! We happened to stay at this location twice within 6 weeks and my back was killing me both times.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family

1 Thank 489davep
Hartford, CT
Reviewed April 16, 2014

Nice property right off the beltway. Front desk staff amazingly nice. We had room with 2 double beds which was much bigger by volume than what I would have expected. Ample parking. Adjacent to 24 hour IHop which is handy. Hotel is probably 15 minutes with traffic to UMD.

Free wifi and breakfast. Complimentary cookies and tea. Pool but not hot tub. Small but serviceable fitness room.

There are a lot of hotels in this neck of the woods. I'm happy we landed here.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank LawguyHartford_CT
Chattanooga, Tennessee
Reviewed April 15, 2014

I stayed at this hotel for 3 nights in March and was very pleased. The front desk staff were very accommodating and friendly. The room was very clean and modern. I wondered if anyone had stayed in it prior to me. It was also a large room, which was nice.

The food was very good for breakfast, with eggs, sausage, fresh fruit, etc. well done by the cook staff.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Hilton Garden Inn Washington DC / Greenbelt
Days Inn College Park
Days Inn College Park
#9 of 11 in College Park

Been to Hampton Inn - College Park? Share your experiences!