“Terrible service and dirty bath tub”

Hampton Inn - College Park
Ranked #3 of 12 Hotels in College Park
Reviewed December 22, 2007

I was disappointed with my stay at the College Park Hampton Inn.

On our first of two nights, we were placed in a smoking room, despite our reservation of a nonsmoking room. It was not until later in the evening that we discovered the smoking smell and decided to wait for the morning to request a new room. This smoking room also had a filthy bath tub. There were numerous hairs on it and it looked like it had not been cleaned. Upon complaining to the front desk about the smoking room and the dirty bath tub, the receptionist and the manager were unapologetic and unfriendly in find us another room.

Within an hour of complaining, we were moved to a nonsmoking room. This room was spotlessly clean. One thing I liked about the rooms was the cleaned between guests Duvet covers, which added significantly to a comfortable night's sleep.

We did receive a full refund for our first night under Hamton Inn's 100% satisfaction guarantee so this mad up for the mistake.

Internet was available for free via Wi-Fi and ethernet cable. I was unable to get a great signal with the wifi, no more than 65%.

There was a pool which I saw had a lifeguard on duty. The pool was open most of the day on the weekends but only in the evenings on weekdays.

The free breakfast was mediocre. There was one hot dish, which rotated daily, cereal, some very bad fruit salad, still cold frozen bagels and muffins.

Overall, if I were to return to the College Park area, I would consider trying another hotel.

Stayed: December 2007

Reviewed August 15, 2007

From check in to check out I had problems at this hotel. I would suggest that if you are traveling to College Park on business you stay somewhere else.
I reserved two double beds nonsmoking with the hotel's representative on the phone. When I arrived I was told I had been "Upgraded" to a king room. Pathetically it was a king smoking and I am allergic to smoke. I went back down to the front desk to ask to be moved only to be told there was nothing that could be done. They didn't even offer to spray air freshener or give me an apology for the inconvenience. The service given by the management was atrocious, each day there was a different manager on duty during the night. People who had been a manager the day before were suddenly not the manager now. When I asked about it, they told me the position rotates. I guess the hotel cares so little about customer service that they can't even be bothered to have a dedicated manager for the night time. I asked the PM "manager on duty" to have the real manager contact me. Of course they did not, I suggest that if you do have the misfortune to stay here that you just demand the 100% satisfaction guarantee they have I did. Basically if you aren't 100% satisfied they don't expect you to pay for your stay at all. Wait till the last day then demand it for the full stay, they HAVE to give it to you. At least then it might be worth staying here.

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
6  Thank TravellerFromPA
Reviewed July 26, 2007

Under no circumstances would I ever want to deal with the Hampton Inn in College Park again. It has been two days since I requested a returned call a sales representative. It is unacceptable that I have not received it. This is kind of behavior is absolutely unacceptable to me.

Stayed: July 2007
4  Thank DrP_7
Reviewed April 29, 2007

I hate to write this review because it will make it harder to get a room here. This place is a palace compared to all of its competition. It is minutes from the Greenbelt or College Park Metro. Park at the College Park metro garage so you don't have to park at the huge Disneyland parking area at Greenbelt.

This is DC, of course there is crime, get a life! There are restaurants, a Starbucks and grocery store within walking distance. The rooms are beautiful and perfect for Business travelers.

Check out my other reviews, most of them trash the hotels. This place is great. The only issue is that it is hard to get a room unless you book ahead of time.

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
7  Thank vandytraveler
Reviewed April 22, 2007

We had a wonderful experience at this hotel! We walked-in because we were staying at a sub-standard hotel down the road and wished to move. Travis graciously held us a room for the next night for the remainder of our stay. We called first thing the next morning and Nicole helped us check in early, because the "other" hotel did not have hot water. She left a note for the day shift, so Morgan would know what we needed when we arrived. At every point, every one was so helpful and friendly, and personable. Rooms were clean, well appointed, spacious, and comfortable. Indoor pool, guest laundry and a hot breakfast completed the package. We were trying to stay one extra night and all three guest service agents were helping us to find that last cancellation so we did not need to move . I work at a resort in Vermont, and I know that I would be honored to have these staff members on my team. Travis, Nicole and Morgan have definately redefined the term "service"! Many thanks to my "vacation-savers"! Robin, VT

Stayed: April 2007
7  Thank VTravelerVermont
Reviewed January 20, 2007

Stayed two nights here this week and will not stay here again.
Exterior of the hotel, lobby and rooms are standard fare for a Hampton. Hotel staff in the evenings and morning is not friendly..while checking in, desk clerk never got off their cell phone to check me in, and in the mornings the desk staff was very short with answers to any question about the area. One morning while there, it seemed to take most of the hotel staff to light the fireplace in the lobby while people were trying to eat breakfast in the same area.
I had a 6th floor room and it takes a very long time for the water to get hot in the shower...more than 5 min with the water running at full bore..and once hot, the water gets cold then hot then cold over and over. It goes from ice water to boiling water while trying to shower.
There is a lot of street noise ( sirens ) and while I am not a light sleeper, I was not able to sleep more than a couple of hours at a time because of this.
There is a IHOP next door and a very good Italian restaurant across the street in a shopping center.
Parking isn't good at this hotel and one night of my visit I had to park in the rear of the property, close to the IHOP...glad it was a rental car.

• Stayed: January 2007, traveled on business
2  Thank TennRoadWarrior
Reviewed January 5, 2007

The hotel room, lobby and breakfast area were fine, security right outside the hotel in the parking area terrible!, stayed for 2 nights, the room was not cleaned after the first night , the day after of our arrival a police officer approached to inform me that my car and two other cars were broken into while parked outside the hotel?? Hotel did not assume any responsibility whatsoever. There was a small warning sign outside in the parking area about theft but where are you supose to park if no parking spaces are available???, they did help with a vacum to clear all the shattered glass inside the car though. Think twice before checking in if parking your car outside. I had to spend $150 to replace my side window and loose about 4 hrs in the process in a local shop.

Stayed: December 2006