“Great Crabcakes, but that's it”
Review of Plato's Diner - CLOSED

Plato's Diner
Cuisines: Diner
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night
Reviewed August 6, 2011

This diner has some pretty good crabcakes with minimal filler and they're big too. Unfortunately that's all we can say about this place. Some had breakfast that was "just ok", Almondine Trout that was horrible, and the good crabcakes. The soup was ok, service was average, and sides were nothing to write home about. Skip and go somewhere else a there are MANY fabulous places in the MD, DC area.

Reviewed August 3, 2011

I went early in the lunch hour, which turned out to be lucky as within a short time of my arriving the place filled up! Obviously very popular with locals, always a good sign. I ordered the Gyro sandwich plate with fries, and the Gyro was excellent, fresh, delicious. The fries, unfortunately, were just adequate. Diners usually have great fries, so I was disappointed.

The service was ok, not great, but everyone was very friendly.

On Thursday nights it says they have a Greek night with specials on Greek food and Greek music, so I think I'll go back then and try something else from their extensive menu.

Someone had mentioned the chocolate cake being really good, so I asked for it. Turns out they have three different kinds. I got the chocolate mousse cake, and while it was good, and a huge serving, it was not "to die for". Would definitely be enough for two though!

Reviewed July 29, 2011

In a college town with few real restaurants, this diner is worth a visit. The interior is worn and the service can be spotty but the food is good. Try the FrenchTerp with chicken sausage for breakfast or one of the great dinner specials--all come with a salad and a bowl of homemade soup.

Reviewed July 19, 2011

My family and I have been going to Plato's Diner for the past 10 years, and we love this place. We try to go once a week. Breakfast is served all day, and the only thing we don't like from the breaskfast menu are the pancakes. They tend to be a bit "meal-y" to us. But, it appears to be a diner favorite, so it might just be us. We love the corned beef hash, arizona steak and eggs, belgian waffles, gyros and the burgers. All delicious. Chicken fingers, fish and chips, rueben, grilled cheese, monte cristo and buffalo wings are also family favorites. We are not a big fan of the chicken noodle soup (as it tends to have more celery than anything else), the mashed potatoes and gravy (tastes like cafeteria food) and the terkyaki chicken (not too great of flavor). Everything else we have tried we have loved. The menu is extensive and the price is more than reasonable. if you have enough room, order dessert. The chocolate cake is delicious:)!

Reviewed July 14, 2011

We visited the University of Maryland and were glad to find Plato's Diner, since our first meal at another restaurant in a different part of town was not good. It took us a little while to find Collegetown. We went to Plato's for breakfast. We were seated in a booth -- always my husband's first choice. The eggs and home fries were fine. I had ordered soda since I was not able to get it in the hotel the night before. The waitress brought me a refill without my being asked. This is great service. She also overheard me remarking on poor service we had received at another restaurant and came over to see if anything was wrong.
The mural is Plato drinking the hemlock and his followers urging him not to. This gave my husband the opportunity to expound on Greek democracy and Plato to our daughter. I may have even learned something. Overall a very pleasant breakfast. We noticed Greek specialties on the lunch and dinner menu and it will be the first restaurant we go to when we come back to UMD.

1  Thank Jordana16