“Truly authentic food”
Review of The Jerk Pit

The Jerk Pit
Ranked #8 of 113 Restaurants in College Park
Cuisines: Caribbean, Jamaican
Description: College Park Island Paradise. Authentic Jamaican Cuisine while enjoying authentic food, full bar, outdoor seating and Music. Open 7 days.
Reviewed July 25, 2013

This restaurant was eclectic but fantastic. It is situated in the bottom of a colonial style house, but don't let the location dissuade you from trying their food.
We had never had Jamaican food before so didn't know what exactly to expect. My husband ordered the Curry Goat and Oxtail, I ordered the Jerk Chicken and my 9 year old got the chicken in brown gravy because the waitress/cashier told us it was the least spicy of anything on the menu. My husband said that his 2 dishes were very spicy but he enjoyed both of them. The Jerk Chicken is very spicy so I took off the skin and the meat was very tender an delicious. We enjoyed the red beans and rice and the vegetables that came with the meal were also good.
If you are looking for a new and delicious experience, try the Jerk Pit. It is a great cultural and culinary experience for all ages.

3  Thank Mrspinney

Reviewed May 11, 2013

The restaurant (HOUSE) was very nice. We really felt like we was in Jamaica when they start playing the music and the food was everything we thought it would be and more.The flavor of the food was very tasteful.The people was very nice and friendly. We ordered the jerk chicken, spicy shrimp,curry chicken and the jerk wings. OMG the cabbage was just the right seasoning and prepared different than what I have had before. Yes we are planning to go back again very soon.

2  Thank Gee1227201230
Reviewed April 9, 2013

We've spent a lot of time in the Caribbean and enjoy the local food so when we checked into our hotel and discovered the front desk attendant was from Jamaica, we immediately asked her where we could find some good Caribbean food and she recommended "The Jerk Pit" as her personal favorite.

The restaurant is in an older house and very casual but almost felt like local restaurants we enjoy in the islands. The owner is very friendly and we also enjoyed talking with her and our meals were exactly what we expected. Our selections included Curried Goat, Jerk Chicken and the Chicken Sampler.

I would highly recommend this restaurant for anyone that appreciates authentic Jamaican food and spices.

2  Thank Walt T
Reviewed April 8, 2013

I love my island food but I have to say this restaurant disappointed me. We arrived and ordered at the counter. The wait was over 25 minutes for the fish dinner. The cashier was a young female who seemed very unprofessional and kicked off a negative vibe. She did not help with the orders and was rolling her eyes and pouting the whole time we were there.

Anyway, we finally got our food and left and we fed our dinner to our kids and ourselves and the common review from everyone was "terrible dinner". The food was salty, especially the rice and the curry was watery and almost colourless. The fish dinner wasn't marinated well enough and lacked proper seasoning.

I hate to rain on Sister Rose's parade, since she is a very nice person but if she wants to succeed at that location she needs to upgrade her cooks and replace some of her cashiers. Sometimes it is difficult to dislodge family and friends when it comes to help but we all need to survive out here.

2  Thank Derrick60811
Reviewed October 11, 2012

Food was just OK. Well cooked but the seasoning seemed like they just dumped it on top after it was cooked instead of marinating it throughout the process. Some of the staff could be more costumer service oriented.