“Fantastic service, even better Food!”

Cafe Spice/Indian Cuisine
Ranked #9 of 89 Restaurants in Cockeysville
Cuisines: Indian
Good for: Special occasions, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff
Wilton, California
“Fantastic service, even better Food!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 11, 2014

We had just checked in nearby and needed a FedEx. When we left the store we saw this restaurant and thought how yummy to have some Indian cuisine for a change. When we walked in I was immediately struck by the wonderful décor. The ceiling full of sun umbrellas gave it a floating feeling, and the paintings of lovely Indian women along all the walls just made the place feel so warm and comfortable. We were seated immediately. Our drinks were replenished quite quickly, the staff were all very friendly and professional. I ordered the Lamb Biryani and Vern had the Goat Rogan Josh. What excellent food!!! Vern broke a sweat almost with the first bite so I'd say it was warm, I was truly grateful for the yogurt dressing to help cool mine down. Neither of us would have changed a thing, just state your flavor preferences out front. My Masala Chai was just delicious. It had all the components I use making my chai tea. I'm including a picture of our leftovers also, we finished the meal this evening so the portions are worth the prices, and at $16 a meal that's not unreasonable to start with. Lovely dinner. PS They have lunch buffet also.

• Visited April 2014

Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
“Horrible experience!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 22, 2014

What a horrible experience!

We had read good reviews about this place and were excited to try it. I live in Pennsylvania and my girlfriend lives in Baltimore so we frequently meet the Cockeysville area for dinner and enjoy a variety of ethnic foods.

We were promptly seated, given menus, water served ... a round of drinks and it was time to order. We ordered 2 appetizers to start and an order of naan.

A few minutes later, a man approached our table with the slip with our order on it. He was shaking it as us saying we needed to order dinner. I said we just ordered appetizers and were going to see about dinner. He insisted we had to order at least one entrée or we had to LEAVE!!

I asked where it said that. It didn't say it on the door or the menu. He said it doesn't have to state it "I'm telling you. Order an entrée or leave."

He was verbally abusive. It made quite a scene. Other tables could see what he was doing.

I'm a working professional now, but spent many years working in restaurants while getting through college and I have never seen an owner mistreat his guests in such a way.

He said it was dinner time (8:00 p.m!) and that we should order dinner. We were not ready to order dinner. He said we were taking up a table and that he had others waiting who wanted to order dinner.

There was at least 3 open tables and NO ONE waiting to be sat. We walked right in and were seated without any wait.

Considering that restaurants make a higher profit on drinks, appetizers and desserts ... his attitude made no sense. When I worked in restaurants, my managers always liked when guests would order piles of appetizers instead of meals. They are quick and more profit!

What a sad experience.

• Visited February 2014
2 Thank Jeff119911
Hampstead, Maryland, USA
“Wonderful food and great atmosphere”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 10, 2014 via mobile

I was craving Indian food and stopped in to get some take out. As I looked over the menu one of the owners asked what type of food I liked. I explained I was ordering for a crowd, want a good variety, and something that would be so spicy that it would take my breath away. I got EXACTLY what we wanted. The food was appetizing, aromatic, delicious, and worth the wait. While we did wait we were treated to some chai tea and as we left with our order I was furnished with a mango lasse. YUM! Try this place. Malai kofta is good, so is the malai curry, saag paneer, and the naan.

Maryland
“Lovely..”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 4, 2014

This small restaurant serves the most delicious Indian Cuisine! The space is light and airy with beautiful decorative umbrellas softening the ceiling space and Twinkle lights creating ambience. The menu is large, the portions large but the most important factor is the food is deliciously spicy and aromatic. A bonus for some..It is a BYOB establishment. The servers know the menu and are happy to can guide you to a dish that suits your taste palate. This Non-Indian diner loves Cafe Spice.!

• Visited December 2013
Baltimore, Maryland
“Friendly Staff But Nothing Like Home Cooking”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 17, 2013

First visit last night for dinner. First let me say that the service was very nice. However, I was bit let down by the meal. I grew up with Southern Indian food and Vindaloo was always a dish that was incredibly spicy - even to those who eat the spices and chili's on a regular basis. The Chicken Vindaloo I had last night was more of a Chicken Curry and not very spicy at all. I understand the need to tone down some spice for people who are not use to hot dishes but I would of liked the traditional Vindaloo heat in my meal and for $17 - the bread should be included and ordered as a side for $1.99 for one piece of Chapathi. I would love to be able to find that home cooking taste of Madras.

Some of the key ingredients in Indian food such as tomato/tomato sauce and potatoes very from each purchase and each cooking - some tomatoes are more acidy or sour than others and need to be tempered with a little salt and sugar - some potatoes are harder than another, taste more starchy and absorb more salt than others which would also require you to balance out the flavors and/or check salt levels. Basically, no two meals ever cook the same. This meal tasted like it was cooked from a set recipe and no one tasted it and seasoned it as they cooked. Just like any good tomatoe based pasta sauce (a.k.a. gravy) - "season to taste" is key.

This restaurant has a lot of potential, as stated before - very nice staff and the place is very clean and cozy.

• Visited December 2013