“Doggone Good...”

Ranked #1 of 94 Restaurants in Cockeysville
Cuisines: Barbecue
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Delivery, Takeout
Description: Our Family has nearly a century old tradition of serving "Serious Barbecue." Andy Sr. Learned his labor of love from his dad, 'Guy Nelson' - Chief Barbecue Man for Limestone County, Alabama. In the 50's, Andy & Betty were not only attending Memphis State, raising a family, and sighting the real Elvis, but they were also developing a BBQ style all their own, integrating the spiciness of Memphis BBQ with the Old Nelson Family tradition. Andy's not famous for his championship years with the Baltimore Colts; he's famous for his hickory smoked BBQ. Ask Andy and he'll tell you that one of the secrets is slow cooking. Our BBQ is smoked many hours over Hickory logs until it falls off the bone, then simmered in our own heirloom sauce. Regularly voted "Baltimore's Best BBQ" by the staff and readers of Baltimore Magazine and the City Paper, this is one "Q" you won't want to miss. So let us take you and your guests down the Ol' Mississippi with great "Q" and maybe a little Elvis background music (streamed from Andy's iPod, of course). We recommend adding some of our Extra Fixin's to compliment your meal. We have been providing the Maryland area residents with the Best BBQ in a family atmosphere for over 30 years. We have been delivering quality BBQ to our local community and have never lost sight of what "The Best Q" means to our family and our guests. When it comes to BBQ, we make sure that everything is always made from scratch and everything always tastes perfect. I guarantee it! -Andy Nelson
Reviewed October 1, 2013

Andy Nelson's is a gem for this area. Having been stationed all over the country, including 3 years in South Texas, it is still near the top of my list for BBQ. Dine in, carry out, or catered...the 'Q' never disappoints! Love the pulled pork and brisket. Consistently delicious…always tender and juicy, it's comfort food you just want to eat till you are stuffed. BBQ beans and slaw are my usual sides but the collards are excellent. Definitely my BBQ restaurant of choice. Nobody else comes close...

There are newer reviews for Andy Nelson's Southern Pit BBQ

Reviewed September 28, 2013 via mobile

A friend took me here for lunch. It was jammed but they still got the food to us in no time. You can put sauce on the sandwich but you don't need to. So tender and tasty. This is on my list for every trip to Baltimore.

Reviewed September 3, 2013

I wanted to try a pulled pork sandwich since I was going to be in the Cockeysville area. For just a couple of dollars more, I added two sides and a drink. It was money well spent! The sandwich was excellent, with a heaping portion of tender, flavorful pork on a roll that could handle it. The sides I chose were the BBQ beans and the redskin potato salad. Both of them were excellent. I might get a double serving of the potato salad next time since it was some of the best potato salad I've had. There's a reason Mr. Nelson gets such great reviews for his food. Check it out!

Reviewed September 1, 2013

I don't get up there very often, but when I do, if it's anywhere near lunchtime, a stop at Andy's is required. The pulled pork is good enough to keep a Carolina/Memphis BBQ argument going all day. The brisket, chicken or ribs are nice changes of pace. Don't miss the sides. I had the redskin potato salad and a dish of black-eyed peas with a BBQ sandwich. With a drink, it was still under $10. The atmosphere is perfect for a BBQ joint, so don't expect with tablecloths, china or metal utensils. You can sit outside in a pavilion that's sort of a big garage, with a view of the highway, the parking lot and the outdoor furniture and playground equipment place next door. Regardless, I headed out ready for a nap.

Reviewed August 19, 2013

Andy does ribs right, with his dry rub. We are regulars, and I must write to say again how much we enjoy all of his food. This time it was the dry rub ribs, and pork bbq sandwich. Sides were mac n cheese and greens. Excellent. Have fun and enjoy the very relaxed atmosphere.