“Disappointment” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Joe's Crab Shack - CLOSED

Joe's Crab Shack
Cuisines: American, Bar, Seafood, Pub
Good for: Large groups, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Highchairs Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Manheim, Pennsylvania, United States
“Disappointment”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2013

After finding Joe's Crab Shack online, my wife and I made the hour drive to check out the place. Much to my surprise we had a short wait, escorted into a large room with many open tables and booths at 7:30pm on a Friday night. We were waited on reasonably quickly. Our drinks came then we ordered the calamari appetizer- first disappointment- french fried rubber bands.
My wife selected a crab bucket of queen crab & I picked the Artic Steampot. Then we waited- waited- waited. We were entertained by the wait staff anytime there was music playing they would drop into a mini- flash mob & danced. After a couple of those- it became mundane.
Finally our meals came- my wife had a large portion of crab- my lobster was small- maybe a pound and a smaller portion of snow crab. The entrees also came with an ear of corn & small boiled potatoes. Sadly, the highlight of my meal was the corn. It seemed like I drove an hour to have a pot of shells.
My wife was pleased with her portions and finished- she pitched the potatoes- they were hard and unappealing. She then ordered a dessert to go that was nearly $8!
I had high hopes but found myself very disappointed on the drive home.
So much for Joe's- plenty of hype but cant deliver

• Visited August 2013

Exeter, New Hampshire, Usa
“Delicious crab, but noisy and slow service”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2013

We made a reservation and the hostess seated us right away. Our waiter was very friendly and eager to answer questions,but we waited a long time for our food to come to the table. My son and I ordered 2 different steam pots to share, and we loved the variety of seafood. I asked the waiter to identify the 3 different kinds of crab, and when he noticed the amount of one of them was skimpy, he brought some extra to the table. Inside is very loud if full of people. Outside could be a better choice. The wait staff dances to fun music, which gets a little old after the third time. A good place for family because it's very casual, or for "tourists" like us who want buckets of seafood.

Baltimore, Maryland
“Food is pretty good, services is very slow”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2013

Have been here twice. One of the only places in Maryland to get snow and king crab. The food is pretty good, but both times the service has been incredibly slow. The last visit (about 3 months ago) I was by myself, and the restaurant was about 25% full. It took more than 15 minutes for anyone to even come to the table to deliver water. I was getting ready to leave when the server came over. Thankfully, once he came over the first time, it picked up a bit, though the server had to go in the back to see what happened to my lunch (a crab pot). Nothing complicated or special order, just seriously slow service, though friendly. If you're in a hurry, or get really frustrated with slow service, and don't like loud music, not the place for you, unless you're desperate for snow or king crab.

• Visited April 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Glen Rock, Pa.
“Crabtastic”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 13, 2013

Joe's Crab Shack in Hunt Valley, is a very cool place to go for seafood! They offer a full menu, but the specialty is steamer pots. The steamer pots vary on contents, but they have different kind of crab (no blue crab), or lobster, shrimp, clams, a piece of andoulli sausage, and ear of corn, and 2 potatoes in each pot. There is a hole in the center of the table with a bucket for shells. Outside a pirate ship for the kids to climb and entertain themselves. All in all a fun family place! The seafood was very good also!

Pennsylvania
“Great food and service!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2013

Our party of five ate here yesterday (June 8). We arrived at around 11:30 and were seated promptly. Terrell was our waiter. He was great -- very friendly and helpful. We tried the clam chowder, lobster bisque and sampler appetizers. Would recommend them all but if you don't like spicy foods, the "great balls of fire" in the sampler may not be for you. For our entrees we had the king crab buckets, coconut shrimp and the KJ Steampot -- delicious! For desert we tried the smores, crabby apple, pineapple cake and key lime selections. They were all very good and the portions were very generous. Overall, I would highly recommend this restaurant for a delicious meal.