“Spring Break”

Colony South
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Clinton
“Spring Break”
Reviewed April 15, 2014 via mobile

My fiancé and I decided to visit Maryland and DC for spring break. Very friendly staff. Nice size room and bathroom. There is a 7-11 right across the street. Our room was nice and quiet. The breakfast buffet wasn't much to brag about but it was free and saved me money for one meal each day.

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Marilyn R
Fernando M, General Manager at Colony South, responded to this review, April 22, 2014
Hi Marylin R,

I appreciate you taking time to note you comments about your recent visit. I'm glad that you enjoyed your stay and hope to welcome you back soon. In addition to the Breakfast Buffet, we do offer a full menu for breakfast, which you may want to take advantage of, on your next trip.
Thank you.

Fernando Mayol

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Boston, Massachusetts, United States
Reviewed April 15, 2014

My husband and I stayed here on a recent trip to Washington DC. The hotel is located just outside the city and makes for a very simple commute. I chose this hotel because it was affordable and offered free parking. Similar hotels IN DC charge about $35/night to park and I wasn't willing to pay for that. The rooms were clean and comfortable. Beds were nice and staff was helpful. I would stay here again.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Bethany S
Dear Bethany S,

I very happy that you enjoyed your recent visit to The Colony South Hotel. We try to offer great value. Please come back soon. Thanks.

Christiansburg, Virginia
Reviewed April 10, 2014 via mobile

My company stays in this hotel many days out of the year. Today i stopped by to print a business document and the lady at the front desk proceded to tell me that we could not use the buiness center, that they dont allow people to walk in off the street. She did not care that my company stayed there and proceded to treat us like we were homeless people walking in off the street when we were dressed in full busines attire. Don't waste your money because they wont invest in your return business.

• Stayed April 2014
2 Thank imrennockl
Fernando M, General Manager at Colony South, responded to this review, April 12, 2014
Did not stay here at all.......

Dear imrennockl,

Thank you for taking time to write about your experience at the Colony South Hotel. However, I must take exception to your comments because they are completely inaccurate. Neither you or your colleague with whom I personally spoke have ever stayed with us. The President of the Company with whom you identified yourselves happens to own our Hotel and in researching your complaint, we find that you don't work for that company. They will continue to send us the business you claim to have referred to us. We take every guest comment very seriously and research them thoroughly. Our policy still holds and our Complimentary Business Center is reserved for our Hotel Guests ONLY. If you would like to be a guest in the future, I would be happy to personally welcome you, handle your arrangements and ensure that your visit would be very pleasant and memorable. Sincerely,
Fernando Mayol

Travelers are raving about these Clinton hotels

Reviewed April 9, 2014

To start, the outside of the hotel looked dated but decent. The Lobby is cozy yet gives out a cold atmosphere. I was greeted my a very pleasant lady at the Font desk and she explained the "usual" details and gave me my key cards which contrary to other posts, works the first time. No bell service when i checked in so i grabbed one of the bellman's carts myself and loaded it with my luggage. Bellman arrived 10 mins later and "just watched". He said to leave it outside the room and will pick it up in 5 mins. (too bad. nice tip went to me.) Key slots NEED to be replaced since they're dated. I was checked in a "renovated room". I can tell by the new wallpaper and paint. The carpet is faded and had some stains on it but very understandable. Forty-two inch HDTV is available and a fridge and microwave. Nice picture frames hang from the walls. Bathroom is decently decorated with a nice touch of color from the shower curtain. Sheet are new and clean and the pillows are decent. the bed is a little hard but doable. Room smelled fresh. POOL IS OVERLOADED WITH BLEACH it will hurt your eyes when you get in the "fitness center" and too much public use of the pool is a big THUMBS DOWN!!! Please prioritize your hotel guests!!! Pool attendants are knowledgeable which is a big plus. Shower rooms are placed in the odd part of the building and should have a separate room from the gym users. Chambermaids are very polite and thorough with their work and I was pleased with the room when i came back. Safes are available but not in rooms which is a big disappointment. Overall, I was pleased, no crazy noises heard, no crazy parties, My family and I had a good stay at this hotel. Asking if I would stay again? Yes I would. I just hope management listens and answers back EVERY single bad review and try to rectify errors made my the hotel staff to not only improve service but also encourage more people to stay and come back. --233--

Room Tip: ask for a renovated room.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
5 Thank Doc R
Dear Doc R,

Thank you for your nice comments about your recent stay at The Colony South Hotel. I am delighted that you would return and we hope to see you soon. In the meantime, we do take the concerns you mention very seriously and to heart. Please know that we will address each one with our Staff and Management team. If I may be of service in the future, please feel free to call me directly. Sincerely,
Virginia Beach, Virginia
Reviewed March 24, 2014

So with my daughter in competitive cheer leading, I rely on user reviews to choose the many hotels we stay in.

This is NOT a family friendly hotel at all. We checked in late on a Saturday night for an early morning comp. There is a "fine dining" restaurant (ya right) and a pub style restaurant as well. Apparently, on the weekend this turns into a club. There was a line out the door of people. The entire hotel was shaking from the music and there were armed security guards milling around. This does not inspire safety and security for a moth traveling alone with her daughter.

The staff was courteous and the hotel was exactly what you would expect for the price. But the club, music and the fact that I had to sign a "no party" waiver was just too much.

I didn't get much sleep as people were coming and going out of the rooms around me til 5am.

I got a bit of satisfaction as we blasted music to get ready by at 8am :)

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank Melisa S
Fernando M, General Manager at Colony South, responded to this review, March 25, 2014
Dear Melissa S,

Thanks for taking time to note your comments about your recent stay with us. I apologize and regret that your visit was not as I would have intended. But please know that we are indeed a family friendly hotel and cater to student groups as well as vacationing families. Our Hotel Bar is very successful and on weekend nights we offer live bands, which are very reknowned so they do attract a large crowd. We cater to many constituencies and I hope that we can please all of our guests. Please give us another opportunity to be of service in the future and feel free to call me directly, if I may help with your arrangements.
Buffalo, New York
Reviewed March 17, 2014

I am a regular guest here at the Colony South Hotel and this is my first time using Trip Advisor. I have to say that I am surprised at the fine service I have received always. From the Front Desk to Housekeeping to the 5 Star bellman Wesley who cleaned the snow off my car earlier today (it is snowing here) I can say nothing but compliments. The Wi-Fi is great and I am able to seamlessly stream videos without a single interruption. The restaurant food and service is above expectation and very reasonably priced. They have a swimming pool and a stellar cafe. For the first time since I have been here several times I tried room service last night. It was inexpensive and great. I would come back here again as I have in the past and definitely bring my family one of these days. I am sure my kids will have a blast in the pool. I check out tomorrow and will miss my home away from home when I head back to New York.

Room Tip: I prefer staying on the second floor facing Branch Avenue as I live to get out on the balcony during...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
2 Thank Don G
Dear Don G,

I am very glad that your visit to The Colony South was so pleasant. Please tell your friends. We look forward to your return soon and if I may be of service, in the meantime, don't hesitate to call me directly.

Miami, Florida
Reviewed March 6, 2014

We were in the area for my mothers birthday to spend time with the family. The hotel is in a good location close to the family and lots of other activities such as the city and lots of restaurants. My mom was very surprised when she got to her room because the staff had left her a Happy Birthday card and a bottle of champagne with chocolate covered strawberries. Her favorite! That was very nice of them! On Saturday we went downstairs and had breakfast at the restaurant in the lobby. Dad had the buffet and my sister and I ordered off the regular menu. Everything was good. Both Friday and Saturday night the bar in the lobby seemed very lively with lots of people having a good time. The ladies that helped us check in and out were extremely pleasant and helpful. Both my parents and my room were very spacious. The indoor pool looked fun, I unfortunately just didn't have the time to enjoy it. We will defiantly be staying here again when were are in town visiting the family.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank Brandi H
Fernando M, General Manager at Colony South, responded to this review, March 14, 2014
Dear Brandi H,

Thank you for taking time to write your comments about your recent experience here at The Colony South Hotel for your Mom's Birthday Weekend. I am delighted that your and your family enjoyed yourselves and had a memorable experience. We strive to offer warm friendly and perosnalized service and guests like you make it easy and a pleasure. Please come back soon and call me directly, if I may be of service.

Fernando Mayol
Also consider these accommodations in or near Clinton
Comfort Inn at Joint Base Andrews
TownePlace Suites Clinton at Joint Base Andrews
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Camp Springs (Andrews Air Force Base)
Hampton Inn & Suites Camp Springs/Andrews AFB
Chesapeake Beach Resort and Spa
Chesapeake Beach Resort and Spa
#1 of 1 in Chesapeake Beach
Sleep Inn & Suites Upper Marlboro near Andrews AFB

Been to Colony South? Share your experiences!