“Nice and Clean, Not Great Bed or Breakfast”

Sleep Inn & Suites Clear Spring
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Clear Spring
Maryland
“Nice and Clean, Not Great Bed or Breakfast”
Reviewed January 28, 2013

We stayed here while we skiied Whitetail. There is no denying that it is a great location for those skiing at Whitetail, and I do agree that the people working there were very nice. The pool looked very nice, the hotel was clean, and the room was clean as well. In general it is a nice, average hotel. I do have to say that the mattress was quite uncomfortable (both my wife and I noticed just how bad it was), and the breakfast really was kind of nasty. They do have the standard waffle maker, cerear, bagels, etc ... but the omlett and sausage was quite sketchy and gross. They did have hard boiled eggs, so I could go for that with yogurt and toast, but that was about it.

This hotel is the best choice for skiing Whitetail and the price was reasonable. As I said, it is clean and the rooms were decent. I would stay again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Jeff H, Manager at Sleep Inn & Suites Clear Spring, responded to this review, January 30, 2013
Thank you for taken time out of your busy day to write a review. We take pride on having a clean comfortable hotel for our guest and will reviw breakfast for improvements.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed January 28, 2013

We stayed at the Sleep Inn and Suites again last weekend, and things have gotten even better. From additional items included in the free hot breakfast (make your own waffles, pre-made little cheese omletes, and sausage) to closer supervision at the pool (pool and hot tube were clear), we enjoyed everything about our stay.
It isn't the Four Seasons, but for a place to stop for the night while traveling on Rt 70 or as a homebase for skiing at White Tail or while in town visiting other sites, you cannot beat the price. The beds are comfortable and although the linens aren't very high end, everything was very clean.
The staff is friendly and accomidating and the guests well behaved. There were a few kids running around early, but everything was quiet by 10 and stayed quiet until after 8 the next morning.
We contemplated staying at a little higher end hotel in Hagerstown, but between the prices and proximity to White Tail, we again picked the Sleep Inn.
Make sure you try the nearby Clear Spring Country Diner - best fried chicken I've ever tasted.

Room Tip: Try to get a room away from the elevator. Recommend the ground floor near the south end.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
I want to thank you for for your continued business and will share your comments with our staff.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed January 25, 2013

Had an excellent stay. Staff pleasant; room an excellent value -- clean, spacious and a generous breakfast with choices to please any diet. Parking plentiful; fireplace and the indoor pool/whirlpool welcomed after skiing. Near-by dinner options are locally owned (not chain) and very welcoming. Would definitely stay again -- kudos to the cleaning, desk and maintenance staff.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your kind words and I will share your comments with the staff. We look forward to seeing you in the future.
Fairfax, Virginia, United States
Reviewed January 22, 2013

This hotel was recommended by our ski instructor from Whitetail Ski Resort. I read the online reviews and saw the pictures before I made reservations. Every person I spoke to from the hotel, from reservations to the front desk, was very nice and helpful. So I was very hopeful.

The room smelled like smoke and the carpet was sticky and just generally filthy, which made everything else in the room suspect. I confirmed with the front desk that we had a nonsmoking room. Had we arrived earlier and knew the area better, we would have switched hotels.

The pool and hot tub was full of screaming kids and the water looked green, as if it were a mixture of chlorine and pee. It looked so bad, my two small kids, after a look, decided to skip the pool. A wise choice because we talked to others skiers the next day, whose kids were still itchy after being in that pool.

We figured we were there to ski and decided to use the hotel as nothing more than a place to sleep. Not surprising there were unsupervised kids running around until after 10pm. Perhaps it was because our room was in the corridor next to the pool. At one point in the night around 10:30pm, I went outside and found two boys (about 10 years old) playing hide and seek in the hall. I asked them where their room was and they scampered away.

The only redeeming quality of this hotel was its staff. They need to air all the rooms and get their carpets cleaned. I still icky from the carpet.

Room Tip: Get a room away from the pool area
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Sorry to hear about your stay but I would like to speak with you over the phone about your issues. If you have time please call the property and ask for Jim or Matt. We look forward to hearing from you.
Crisfield, Maryland, United States
Reviewed December 7, 2012

Needed a room for the nite so reserved a room there at an incredibly reasonable $78 for a king room with microwave and mini-fridge. Very convenient location right off the interstate. Staff was very helpful upon check-in and the hotel was immaculate.Seems like fairly new construction but plenty of evidence of good housekeeping. I will definitely stay here again. Complimentary breakfast was pretty good to boot. It was set up 15 minutes ahead of schedule too!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Lowxtreme1, Manager at Sleep Inn & Suites Clear Spring, responded to this review, December 11, 2012
Lou C.,

Thank you for your kind comments. We try extremely hard to provide the best stay for every guest and provide all the comforts of home.

Thanks again.

Brian Le Platt
Reviewed November 3, 2012

Stayed here. Checked in about 8 pm after 12 hours on the road. Apparently the guy in the room next to us thought my two year old was a little loud and called our room directly and threatened us. Complained to front desk and they turned his phone off. Guessing this made him mad because he proceeded to pound on the wall. Another trip to front desk and clerk said only option was to give us another room. Ended up leaving and getting a full refund. Left message for manager to call me and never recieved call. Called the corporate office to report.

• Stayed October 2012
Lowxtreme1, Manager at Sleep Inn & Suites Clear Spring, responded to this review, November 12, 2012
Edbell,

Please accept my apology for the problems that you incurred during your stay. I did get a message to contact you, which I did and left several messages. I would like to discuss this issue more in depth with you at a time that is convenient for you.

You can reach me by phone at 301-842-0290 or by email at gm.md217@choicehotels.com

Thank you.

Brian Le Platt
Pennsylvania
Reviewed November 1, 2012

Due to Hurricane Sandy, we lost power & were forced to stay in a hotel. The Sleep Inn was a perfect fit. They were even able to accomodate our Golden Retriever. Our room was clean & offered a microwave, refrigerator & safe. The bed & pillows were very comfy. Most important, the hotel was extremely quiet....never heard a peep out of any of our neighbors. The hotel offers a pool, so pack your swim suit. The breakfast was more than we could ask for....bagels, muffins, doughnuts, waffles, omelets, sausage, fresh fruit, yogurt & beverages. Having to leave your home under these circumstances is never easy, but the Sleep Inn was a true savior. Highly recommend & would return in a minute.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Sleep Inn & Suites Hagerstown
Sleep Inn & Suites Hagerstown
#13 of 21 in Hagerstown
The Country Inn of Berkeley Springs
The Country Inn of Berkeley Spri...
#1 of 4 in Berkeley Springs

Been to Sleep Inn & Suites Clear Spring? Share your experiences!