“more a pub not a hotel”

The Stag & Huntsman at Hambleden
Ranked #1 of 1 Hambleden B&B and Inns
Reviewed June 24, 2013

We had an overnight stop here last week and whilst the room was very nice it was still not ready at 4pm and was very hot. The pub is ordinary and the breakfast service was not great, the cooked breakfast was pretty tasteless, billed as a luxury Bed & Breakfast this it was not! Only one person serving and they had workmen in who were very noisy!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank yorkshiretraveller16
Peter S, Operations Manager at The Stag & Huntsman at Hambleden, responded to this reviewResponded July 3, 2013

I'm sorry to hear you didn't enjoy your stay with us as much as we’d hope. If you choose to stay again, please let us know if you're hot and we can offer you a fan - as a listed building we are unable to install air con I'm afraid. I'm also sorry to hear you didn't enjoy your breakfast, we pride ourselves on using excellent quality and locally sourced ingredients wherever possible, which we think adds something special to all dishes, so I will pass your comments on to our Head Chef.

Reviewed June 17, 2013

Parking can be tricky in this picturesque (out of the way) village. Welcoming, friendly staff. Lots of nooks and crannies to drink or dine. Excellent pub food (REALLY!). Well priced. Lost half point for cold plates. Otherwise a perfect pub. Americans would LOVE this place.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Peter S, Operations Manager at The Stag & Huntsman at Hambleden, responded to this reviewResponded June 21, 2013

What a score! Many thanks for such a good review; I'm really pleased to read how much you enjoyed your meal and will pass on your comments about the cold plates - that was clearly a slip on the day and I apologise; I do hope you return soon and we can give you a 10 out of 10 experience!

Reviewed May 29, 2013

The countryside is absolutely breath taking, the hotel is set in a very beautiful and quiet location with outdoor sitting area. Our bedroom was small but well appointed. The bed was comfortable and cotton linen a must for me. The bathroom was also well decorated all in all a warm atmosphere.The dining room was well decorated and had simple furnishings with beautiful wood flooring, and some leather chairs, it was very welcoming.
Breakfast was fantastic, toasted seeded bread, ham, cheese, cereal eggs of all sorts, yogurt and jam.
Without hesitation I would definitely go back.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Peter S, Operations Manager at The Stag & Huntsman at Hambleden, responded to this reviewResponded June 6, 2013

Thank you for such a positive review, delighted to hear how much you enjoyed your stay and the luxurious furnishings; we are indeed very lucky to have such a lovely property in this beautiful location in the Chilterns. Great to hear you'll be back, we look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed May 28, 2013

One night stay as a bank holiday treat. Room was lovely cannon wood well fitted out , we could open the window and had a pleasant view of pub garden and the fields. The bathroom is very nicely fitted ,all new and very clean. We had a quick barbecue lunch , this was poor value for money and the team need to look at this ASAP.otherwise think they will loose local trade. My husband supplies restaurants and hotels with all fresh foods ,meat fish and veg,so we know how much things cost! The skewers were rather thin ,didn't get a potato though was on the blackboard. I,m sure they know they are being cheeky with the £11.95 cost .
Dinner however was beautifully cooked and presented in the sweet dining room. Not cheap but good. We had a lovely cooked breakfast using good bacon etc. staff worked hard and were very pleasant , think they do need two staff though in a morning ,not one.
We would return ,its a lovely part of the world . It would be a pity for them to have more negative reviews if all they need to alter is what they provide for the price with regard to BBQ.
H

Room Tip: Cannons wood very pleasant excellent bathroom Sorry no fitness or pool can,t get the spots undone!!
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple

Thanks for leaving us your thoughts; really happy to read you had such a nice stay and enjoyed dinner with us - we are passionate about fantastic quality, locally sourced, seasonal produce and we believe our menus are good value to that end. On your note about the BBQ, it was launched over the May bank holiday and we have since listened to feedback and tweaked our prices so I do hope you're tempted to return again soon.

Reviewed May 27, 2013

We arrived early with our sons & daughter-in-laws but were told by a very unhelpful young man that check in was at 3pm,which we did realize, but as we had been on a brewery tour we just wanted to settle down and get some lunch, so we ordered drinks but then overheard a very pleasant young lady telling someone that their room was ready so we asked again if ours were ready. The young man was not impressed but did check and told us 2 of the rooms were ready.

We got our cases from the car, but as one of my sons was on his way to the room he encountered a VERY rude cleaning lady who asked him or the number of his room. He told her that he was in "The Pit" to which she replied, " i said, what number are you in?" As all the rooms had a large key tag with the name of the room on he hadn't realized that there was also a metal disc which once may have had a number on it but it was so worn it was you couldn't read it!

This wasn't the first encounter with this rude cleaner, as my other son had spoken to her previously and got much the same response.

Thankfully the staff at breakfast were much more helpful and pleasant. But have to say, the breakfast was very disappointing. I had read a review which also told of a depleted buffet, and it was just the same.

At the time of our booking we also reserved a table for dinner, based on the menu we had looked at online. Unfortunately we found that this is changed frequently. The new menu was very pretentious and over priced so we decided to drive in to Henley where we had much more choice and better value for money.

It is such a shame that there were so many negatives about this place because the rooms were lovely and so comfortable and the village was beautiful.

I think that they need to look at the staff situation as they have got one or two that need some customer care training. Unfortunately we didn't get their names.

I wouldn't go back!

Room Tip: We had "Chestnuts " It was a lovely room but was above the bar, so if there was anyone in...
2  Thank Carole F

Thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback; I was very disappointed to read about your experience to be honest and I sincerely apologise for the fact that your stay did not live up to the standards that we take pride in. I will be investigating the way you were spoken to with the team and I'm also sorry that you did not stay for dinner. Our menus are carefully designed to make the most of local and seasonal ingredients, and they change on a monthly basis because of that - I apologise if this was not made clear to you. I truly hope you will return and please do contact me at The Stag & Huntsman if you would like to discuss your stay with me personally.

Reviewed May 25, 2013

We spent a night at the Stag & Huntsman following a visit to the Chiltern Valley Vineyard nearby.

We arrived early at about 1.30 p.m. but our room was ready and we were kindly allowed to check in although normally check in is at 3 p.m. That was a good start and we were happy with our room Cannons Wood, very nice "old style" decor with a large bathroom, exposed stonework and lots of antique features. The rather expensive Roberts radio was appreciated too, proper cafetiere coffee for the morning and some lovely posh tea bags ! Even a copy of the Tatler to read.

We had dinner in the evening in the restaurant which was very good, especially my husband's fillet steak which he pronounced the best he had had in a long time. The barman and dinner waiting staff were excellent.

Breakfast was a bit more haphazard, we waited 15 minutes for service and that was only after I made an appearance in the kitchen to ask for coffee. Things then speeded up thankfully. The breakfast buffet was very depleted at 9.30 a.m. Poached eggs were hard. However, the quality of the orange juice, coffee, sausages, bacon etc was very good.

The only other slight negative is the presence of aircraft in the area getting ready to land at Heathrow, there is discernible noise although it will not be an issue to everyone - we live in deepest north Oxfordshire in a very quiet spot so do tend to notice noise more than others.

In all staying at the Stag & Huntsman was a pleasure, and we would recommend it to friends. The village is also lovely to wander round and a reminder of old England if you are of a certain age which regrettably we are !

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Peter S, Operations Manager at The Stag & Huntsman at Hambleden, responded to this reviewResponded May 29, 2013

Thank you for leaving such comprehensive feedback; I'm really pleased you enjoyed the little extras and features in your room and rated the dinner at The Stag & Huntsman so highly. I will look into your comments about the breakfast buffet though to ensure this doesn't happen again - we aim to deliver a slick service at all times. Do come back and stay with us again soon.

Reviewed May 20, 2013

A friend and I went here for a light lunch. The menu was limited and expensive, we both chose the soup of the day, which was onion and thyme soup. We were given carrot soup which was extremely salty and two very thin slices of bread with no butter. I returned my soup and was offered onion soup as per my original order. Unfortunately the onion soup was extremely creamy and watery with little taste of actual onion.

All in all I was unhappy with this visit as the quality of the food was not great and the price was just far too high to justify it.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
5  Thank will m

I was disappointed to read your review as you clearly had a rather frustrating lunch experience and my apologies for that. We believe we have a value for money dish at £5.50 as both our soup and bread are freshly made on the premises by our chef and his team. However, I will be looking into your comments around quality and hope you decide to try The Stag & Huntsman again soon to enjoy a meal with us.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Hambleden
The Catherine Wheel
#8 of 8 in Henley-on-Thames
The Frog at Skirmett
The Frog at Skirmett
#1 of 1 in Skirmett

Been to The Stag & Huntsman at Hambleden? Share your experiences!