“Lovely place but pub food is way overpriced”

The Stag & Huntsman at Hambleden
Ranked #1 of 1 Hambleden B&B and Inns
Bracknell, United Kingdom
“Lovely place but pub food is way overpriced”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 14, 2013

Visited this lovely countryside inn after a nature walk with my wife and son, hoping to get a good solid pub lunch for a reasonable price - as we have had at this place several times before the refurbishment. The place has been nicely refurbished, but the new pub menu has just become to fancy in our opinion, ingredients are fresh and taste good, but the portions are way too small and really nothing to write home about when considering the price. We paid over £48 for a sandwich, a lamb burger and a 6oz sirloin steak, a pint of beer and two soft drinks. Way overpriced for what it was. We used to recommend this place to friends to go for a lunch and a beer after walking in the area, but after our latest experience we won't do it again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
6 Thank peter_w_jones
Peter S, Operations Manager at The Stag & Huntsman at Hambleden, responded to this review, May 22, 2013
Thanks for your feedback and I’m sorry to hear you feel we’ve got a bit fancy – our intention is to offer great food in a comfortable, country pub setting. We are passionate about local ingredients and locally source all of our lamb and beef, we bake our own bread on the premises and our burgers are also handmade by our chef too – all points which we think contribute to value for money. I do hope you come back and see us soon as we really are the perfect spot for a post-walk lunch.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2013

We wanted a break away from the house in February and chose the Stag and Huntsman based on its great reviews on Booking,com. Not too far from our home base in West London, we found it to be a world away, clean, peaceful and full of character. The food was excellent too, though we missed out on the venison due to the menus being changed for summer. All the staff we met were friendly and professional. We had a room not too far away from the bar which I requested due to walking problems (Chestnuts), which was well-appointed and comfortable, with a view out over the huge back garden and a fabulously comfortable big bed, and an interesting sloping floor into the bathroom - what you'd expect in a small country inn, which is what we were aiming for. Would be more than happy to stay there again.

Room Tip: Chestnuts was very comfortable and quiet.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Peter S, Operations Manager at The Stag & Huntsman at Hambleden, responded to this review, May 9, 2013
Thanks for letting us know you had such an enjoyable stay. We hope to see you back in the autumn months (if not before) when venison is sure to be back on the menu with the start of the game season.
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 21, 2013

It really upsets me to have to write a review for a beautiful pub in a stunning situation, but I feel I would be doing other customers and the pub/ hotel a disservice by not expressing my disappointment with my latest experience here this afternoon!
The staff were unfriendly, unhelpful and rude! The menu has shrunk! The most shocking was that there was no roast beef for a sandwich, but there was for a main course of roast beef! Management were then inconvenienced and put out when processing our order as we had to check with other members of our party as to what they would like to eat as there choices were unavailable and hadn't been advised. When the 6.95 sandwich arrived, honey glazed ham with whole grain mustard! The portion was very Small .it Should be advertised as half a sandwich and a few fries on the side! four fries and mayonnaise mustard dressing clearly Highlights the penny pinching! Value for money here always used to be outstanding and the triple decked rare roast beef sandwiches were a huge hit and a reason we always came back for more!
Quality is now poor, there is no value for money and the staff don't want to hear your thoughts! We shall not be returning -what a shame after so many past enjoyable experiences!! I look forward to managements response!!

• Stayed April 2013
10 Thank Hollymatthews
Peter S, Operations Manager at The Stag & Huntsman at Hambleden, responded to this review, May 1, 2013
Thanks for your feedback. We have changed our sandwich menu in recent times; we now offer freshly-baked bread, made at The Stag & Huntsman, which we have had some fantastic feedback about; the chips are hand-cut and again something we are very proud of and go down well with customers. I’m sorry your experience didn’t mirror your previous visits but hope you come back and try us again soon.
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 19, 2013

My family and I have been visiting this quintessentially English and beautiful pub for more than 25 years, always adored the food, and it was always packed out and busy with just the best feeling when you walked in. It underwent refurbishment and new management between September 2011 and May 2012 and they have totally bulldozed the atmosphere. We have visited about times throughout the course of the year since and every experience has been awful. The staff, wonderfully attentive and sweet, were all obviously untrained, and didn't know a lot of the answers to questions we asked. The new management (with the exception of Claire) are awful, and don't seem to give a toss about what life used to be like before the group took over (Hillbrooke Hotels I believe) this place is a pub with an identity crisis. It is NOT supposed to be a hotel, not designed to be, and it doesn't work properly. Food and drink is suddenly disgustingly expensive and poor quality so no value for money! We used to sit in the public bar with our dog, so always chatted with local people, and it just seems that the Hotel group is just doing what it wants not what always worked for the village and people like myself who always came for good pub food and a lovely garden to sit in, and maybe a cosy fire to sit by in cold weather! The sooner the pub gets back to normal the better. I will not be returning. There is nothing attractive about a visit here any more, the staff from Hillbrooke are so unconcerned with people it is disgusting. Put it back to the way it was and you might get some more customers.

Room Tip: If you have been here before september 2011 and loved it, don't be disappointed and just stay aw...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
8 Thank MyTravelDreams31
Peter S, Operations Manager at The Stag & Huntsman at Hambleden, responded to this review, April 26, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments - we really appreciate your feedback. I see you last visited us in June 2012, I would be happy to talk you through the changes since then and discuss your thoughts in more detail. Please do feel free to call the pub or drop in and ask for me (I can't add my contact details here). I sincerely hope to hear from you as The Stag & Huntsman pub is very much a part of the local community and the team is very passionate about its role in the village. I look forward to hearing from you.
Derby, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 11, 2013

We have just had two nights here for our wedding anniversary and we had a wonderful time. Very comfortable bedroom and spacious bathroom with everything you need. Food, especially the a large carte was of a high quality although my husband was a little disappointed by the selection of 'nightcaps' i.e whisky's. Highly recommended and next time we will take our pooch! Thank you

• Stayed April 2013
Peter S, Operations Manager at The Stag & Huntsman at Hambleden, responded to this review, April 17, 2013
Thank you for such a lovely review. I will definitely look into enhancing the range of whisky we stock at The Stag & Huntsman and see what might be possible. We look forward to welcoming you – and your pooch! – again soon.
Kind regards
Peter Stevens
Sherborne, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 11, 2013

A charming small hotel in a delightful location. Friendly and relaxed, yet spotlessly clean and efficient, the staff could not have been more helpful. The beautifully decorated room was warm, comfortable and well appointed. Having stayed three nights, every breakfast and each evening meal was excellent, a very enjoyable stay and would highly recommend.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank SusanT814
Thank you for taking the time to leave such wonderful feedback. I will share your comments with the team and look forward to seeing you again soon.
Kind regards
Peter Stevens
Mooloolaba
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 5, 2013 via mobile

Since the renovations we have found that service to get drinks has been very slow. The menu has improved but kids portions are small and a bit expensive. Very limited choice for vegetarians and I was unhappy with the quality of my curry.

Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
6 Thank thomoMooloolaba
Peter S, Operations Manager at The Stag & Huntsman at Hambleden, responded to this review, April 8, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. I am very sorry to hear that you didn't enjoy your experience with us and I will look into your concerns regarding the drink service further. I see that you had the curry which was taken off of the menu at the end of February when our new head chef started. In light of this I do hope we may be able to tempt you back in the near future.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hambleden
Hotel du Vin
#1 of 1 in Nettlebed
The Catherine Wheel
The Catherine Wheel
#2 of 8 in Henley-on-Thames

Been to The Stag & Huntsman at Hambleden? Share your experiences!