“Good, not outstanding”

Ranked #8 of 33 Restaurants in Chevy Chase
Cuisines: Mediterranean
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Description: Duarte Rebolo was born in Madeira Island, Portugal, a popular European tourist spot. His career in restaurant service began there and so far has spanned about 25 years. He left Madeira to work for Celebrity Cruise Lines. It was here that he worked with world renowned Grand Chef Michel Roux. It was here that he met his wife Linda, and decided to move to the Washington area. While here in Washington, he worked at The Water Gate Hotel with Jean Louis Pallidin until Jean Louis Left. At this point the Pallidin became Aquarelle and the Chef was Robert Weidemaier. Duarte continued to work at The Watergate until his dream of opening his own restaurant came true. Tavira opened in November of 1999. The cuisine is primarily traditional Portuguese, as well as Mediterranean dishes. It has been given favorable reviews from the Washington Post, Washington Diplomat, The Gazette, Bethesda Magazine and Washingtonian Magazine 100 Very Best Restaurants. Duarte's professionalism, attention to detail and hard work will make you Dining experience a deligtful virtual escape to Portugal
Reviewed January 18, 2013

I've eaten a lot of great, homemade Portuguese food, so I'm definitely picky in this area. I wouldn't describe Tavira as being really authentic, but more Portuguese staples that have been Americanized. That said, most food I've had here is good. One seafood meal was overcooked, but that was an exception. I do feel like the prices are a little high, cause it seems like there's a slightly higher than expected price tag on everything. Final bill always feels 10-15% more than I expected. It's worth trying, but I wouldn;t expect it to bea regular choice.

2  Thank traveler30

Reviewed December 31, 2012

Friends had been telling about Tavira for a while. The other night we passed it -- it's in a office building off Connecticut, across the street and down a bit from Starbucks, in a building with a Capital One bank in it. I wouldn't have even noticed it but that people pointed it out. We decided to take an expedition and MAN was it a terrific! You enter either through the lobby atrium and go downstairs, or through the parking garage on the ground floor in back.

The service is excellent. They are awesome with fish especially, though I had the lamb shank and found it perfect. Its gorgeous down there. You have no sense of being in an office building, and when I left, I was shocked to remember that's where it was located. The waiter we had -- I wish I recalled his name -- was funny and helpful and very Eurpoean and I'd go back to have him again, even if the food wasn't as great as it is. And it IS GREAT. This is not an overstatement. How is this place not on all the Ten Best lists in the metro area? Go! Go! Go! ANd order the fired milk dessert. Trust me.

1  Thank janebeard
Reviewed September 30, 2012

Went to celebrate my wife's birthday. The food was good, the service was excellent. They put a candle on my wife's dessert and the musical entertainment played a snippet of "Happy Birthday" for her. I really appreciated this nice touch. A romantic atmosphere with live music at least on Fridays.

1  Thank Roland M
Reviewed September 9, 2012

This restaurant seems to have gone downhill. I visited on a recent Saturday night and found the food to be less than desirable. It is not worth the money they charge. There are plenty of other great restaurants in Bethesda. Pick a different restaurant!

Reviewed August 13, 2012

What a very pleasant surprise! We live a couple of miles from this restaurant and never knew about it - note to restaurant about better signage! Tavira is located in the lower level of an office building which I only knew for the cycle shop on the ground floor by the Georgetown Branch trail!

Came across it as we looked for somewhere to eat close to Kensington and loved our dinners. The waiter recommended a bottle of Rioja which turned out to be great and reasonably priced. One of our group asked about sardines which were not on the menu - and we had the pleasure of eating them marinated in something tasty! The grilled calamari starter was also delicious and tender. And the same for the main courses - empty plates all round

1  Thank CMcD77