“Poor internet service is only let down for what is a good hotel at this price point” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Quality Suites

Quality Suites
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Chestertown
MidAtlantic
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2014 via mobile

I stayed at the Comfort Inn Suites and the Holiday Inn Express in Chestertown, MD on consecutive nights in August. Both hotels were immaculately clean, with neither hotel particularly better than the other. The beds, bed linens and pillows were great in both hotels. The bathrooms were clean and well-appointed in both hotels, although the water pressure/showerhead in the Holiday Inn Express was superior. The furniture in the Holiday Inn Express looked a little newer than that in the Comfort Inn, but there really wasn’t much between them. The front desk staff in both hotels were really great, although I have to give the nod to the lady working the front desk in the Comfort Inn on the evening of 8/26. She was incredibly helpful and a real pleasure to deal with. The parking at the Holiday Inn Express was to the rear of the building and after 7pm you need to use the front door and then walk all the way to the rear – not really a problem, but slightly less convenient than at the Comfort Inn where the parking is to the front of the building.

The biggest difference for me was the quality of the internet service at the respective hotels. I use T-Mobile for my phone/data and I found reception extremely poor in the Chestertown area and so relied on the hotels to provide me with good internet service so that I could catch up on work emails when I got back to the hotel at the end of the day. Unfortunately, this is where the Comfort Inn let me down as the internet service was intermittent and often slow. I found the best reception was to be found by sitting next to the door of my room, which wasn’t very convenient at all. This was a deal breaker for me and so I moved next door to the Holiday Inn Express and paid a little more for my room.

The Holiday Inn Express appears to be a little more expensive than the Comfort Inn and if it hadn’t been for the poor internet service I would have been happy to have spent my second night at Comfort Inn rather than have to move. If you don’t care about internet service I would recommend either hotel. But if you need a good data connection I would recommend playing it safe and staying at the Holiday Inn Express.

Stayed August 2014, traveled on business
3 Thank Scurvyemu

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Weston, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2014

We recently stayed at the Comfort Suite while visiting Washington College. The front desk staff were friendly and helpful. Free wifi with good connection speed. Breakfast was average but complimentary. Overall, the property needs to be updated. Carpeting in the halls and rooms were stained in multiple locations. This would be a nice place to stay if it was modernized.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Mark G
Washington, D.C., USA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 26, 2014 via mobile

Just okay. Room alright. No shower cap. Breakfast mediocre but complimentary. Fairly central-close enough to college though not walking distance. Not in historical part of town. Would use again if needed a room but might try something else first.

Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
3 Thank Susan P
Walkersville, Maryland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 31, 2014

We were visiting the ES to celebrate our anniversary , visit a grandson at Washington College and bird at the Eastern Neck Island Refuge. We arrived at Chestertown on a Sunday afternoon and had no trouble finding the Comfort Suite. Being a Sunday in the off season, we did not expect a crowd but the suites were almost empty. There could not have been more than three or four rooms occupied. The room was clean, the staff extremely helpful about restaurants and beds comfortable. Breakfast was typical: sausage, omelet, apples, oranges (no bananas), a variety of breads and pastries, juices and coffee. As we left about 8:30 the next morning there were only two cars in the parking area besides ours - probably belong to the 3 staff that were working. Choice Privileges had a promotion (two stays at different facilities and get enough points for a free night) which we took advantage of by staying at a Sleep Inn in Grasonville the next night for our anniversary dinner. The fitness center was closed due to a water leak from the overhead area.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank ORBPSB
Potomac
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 15, 2013

The hotel was for the most part very nice I was given a king room with a hot tub and small refrigerator. My only complaint is related to the hotel rooms with a hot tub. 1st the hot tub was built with the controls on the wrong side of the tub, thus to get into the tub you had to step or some how swing your self over this two foot divide. It was impossible to step over it, and as the controls and support handle were also on the tub side you enter it from, this was quite a feat. As the hot tub also functioned as the only shower in the room in order to get clean you needed some how get into it. If that was not bad enough, when I turned on the water to the hot tub I saw a lot of hair balls from previous guest floating around in it. Making it very unappealing.
Other than the tub, the rest of the room was clean and nice, so I will not give them a bad rating for cleanliness. I left a note for the management, that they should have the maids vacuum the tub hairs after guess check out.

I also warned them about the potential of a customer falling trying to get in and out of this tub, especially if they are old or short.

I will say I never heard anything back from the manager even though I am in their frequent stayer program. This tub is a potential liability for the hotel chain as I could see a guest getting hurt getting into or out of this tub. You would think they would care. It's a shame for the room other than that was very nice.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
6 Thank Mary C
Fryeburg, Maine
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 1, 2013

Unless you want to stay at the Driftwood Motel (where I got locked out of my room and they were rude) Comfort Inn has the cheapest rate in Chestertown.

In suffocating town full of traffic jams, they really need to have signs to tell tourists where they are located. I had the experience of driving past miles and miles of farmland without seeing any motels. Like many others I do not really know my way around. When I got into town I had no way of knowing where the motels were with no signs on the outskirts to direct me.

As for sleep quality, they seemed to not have a regular fan system but only air-conditioning. It kept on shutting itself off in the middle of the night and this kept on waking me up.

The bed spread is not pulled up over the pillows and this helped with my fears about contamination since (as everyone knows) the bed spreads and blankets always get thrown on the floor.

The room when I first came in appeared to be clean but I found some trash in back of the furniture and under the bed.

They had a handicapped shower on the first floor and a bathtub on the top floor where they had to move me on account of a previous reservation.

The tub water stays very hot and did not leak out while the drain was shut like they do in so many of these places.

In a stressful moment when I lost my key, I asked the maid if she had seen it and did not get a decent yes or no answer. It is my opinion that the maid staff should be able to hold a simple conversation with "yes" and "no" and "I'm sorry" etc. instead of just not answering someone's questions.

I needed help from the front desk staff several times and they were always patient. However, there was one time when I had to see them and they had the T.V. blasting and this is bad manners. Some people can't hear over blasting radios and T.V.s

I noticed that the fitness center has unusual hours that end at 10 AM. They make it clear that guests are welcome here all day and possible over night as well.

Room Tip: Check hotel locations on Google before you get into Chestertown or you'll be lost.