“RUN!”

Driftwood Inn
Ranked #11 of 11 Chestertown B&B and Inns
“RUN!”
Reviewed May 19, 2013 via mobile

Honestly, run! When we pulled into the parking lot, we said it's just one night; however, we did not make it the one night. We checked in as housekeeping was "cleaning" our room and once I saw the mattress, I could not sleep there. We ate the cost of the room and continued our ride home. It was so filthy and disgusting. The owners make money because people book rooms on-line and once someone sees the rooms, they walkway without a refund. Then the owners re-rent the room. As we were leaving, we noticed that there was a family with 2 young children living in one of the rooms. The children were knocking on the door to get back into the room; however, there was a male voice on the other side of the door asking for a password before he would let them in. I have no clue what that was about but I'm assuming that they are running drugs out of the room.

Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Kelly G

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 4, 2012

Just awful, the dirtiest most run down place i have ever had the misfortune to stay in..just dont do it!! holes in the sheets..every thing smelt dirty and looked dirty..needs some serious diy...either that or bulldozed...swimming pool empty and filthy Read all the other reviews and agreed with them.

Room Tip: only advis would be not to go there
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank lindsayp88

Travelers are raving about these Chestertown hotels

Reviewed July 2, 2012

My husband and I were on a 6 week honeymoon driving down the east coast of America. We were on our way to Washington but got delayed and unexpectedly pulled into chestertown Maryland. We pulled into the driftwood inn as it was the only motel that we could see. The second I walked in the door of the room I got a bad vibe. There was a smell of smoke in the room despite it being non smoking, the decor was grimy and dated and the bathroom was just plain disgusting. I'm normally not one for complaining so I decided to suck it up and just get on with it so we ran out the door to do sightseeing. We had a look around chestertown (which is a wonderful place) and came back later on that night. it was only then I noticed the absolute filth of the place. It was crawling with the dirt. The underneath of the beds had not been vacuumed since god knows when. The bed clothes were stained and the warmer blanket was full of holes. The toilet had a layer of crust around the rim.. My god it was revolting. I've stayed in plenty motels and I have never seen anything like this. We tried to go to sleep but I was so restless all night. There was no bolt on the door and I was so uneasy all night. I did not sleep much. I wish I had just left when I first walked in the door. I'm so annoyed with myself that I stayed. The two of us got up the following morning wrecked tired. Neither of us even had a shower it was so disgusting. (it was that bad). Please don't waste your money!!! (69 +tax) We said it to the manager upon leaving and to be quite honest he didn't care one bit. He got his money. The place should be bulldozed .

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
6 Thank samsam83
Wilmington, Delaware
Reviewed October 6, 2011

Stayed in May 2011 over reunion weekend. II had been in the hotel twice in 2000 when it was called Fox Manor or something similar so I thought I knew what to expect. I think the rate was $118 and this is definately the worst motel I've ever stayed in. The shower was a tiny stall like in a gym, so tiny that I kept rescrubbing when I touched the walls - which appeared grimy and possibly moldy. The bathroom and carpet looked and felt horrible. I made sure not to walk in bare feet anywhere in the room or bathroom. There was a semi-joking discussion with my police officer boyfriend regarding the source of dark red paint smeared on the tiles. The walls in room were cheap woodboard that made the room look very dark. It was just awful and we would drive the two hours home before ever staying there again unless a huge renovation project is completed.

Room Tip: Maybe we just had a bad room.
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
4 Thank Brennalin
Fairfax, Virginia
Reviewed June 9, 2011

Avoid this place unless you want to clean and disinfect your bathroom and bring your own bedding. The toliet had encrusted "matter" under the seat and around the back seat hinges, and we requested someone from housekeeping to clean it. The young fellow appeared, gave it a few swishes with a vegetable cleaning brush (?), then a rag (used to wipe the rim, then the seat, then the lid -- in that order), but still leaving behind most of the dried matter . The queen bed had a filthy twin-sized blanket with crusty stains all over it. The bedspread was also very dirty. The sheets were stained, but smelled clean. The shower had mildew/mold, and the bathroom floor was not clean. I gave serious consideration to spending the night in the car. We would have moved on, but checked in late at night with our dog and there were no other places locally that accepted pets. For the $65 price, I'm willing to accept the broken blinds, dusty furniture, no hangers in the closet, no hooks in the bathroom, etc., but expect basic sanitation regardless of price.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank EllieMae_555
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed December 15, 2010

When driving into this town for a few days for work, I could not find anywhere to stay. I drove into this town and saw a small motel, perfect location right in the middle of the town. I had about 6 other fellow workers with me that needed to stay in the town for a few days. I walked in the hotel and the manager treated me well. They showed me nice rooms that were perfect for our working stay. They also worked with us on a large corporate discount. They also have a large parking for our trucks as well. I would say this motel has a perfect location in Chestertown and this motel offers the best corporate discounts for workers that come to town for a few days. I highly recommend to stay here if you are coming to town for work to stay here as they will work with you on prices for corporate discounts, especially construction workers.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
Little River, South Carolina
Reviewed August 29, 2010

This has to be the filthiest most mis-managed property I have ever stayed in. Due to many events going on in town this was one of the last available choices. Based on misleading internet photos and reviews we booked this hotel. I should have know right away our stay was going to be unremarkable by the condition of the parking lot and the peeling paint on the building.

The temporarily closed pool looks as if it has not been open in years. Our room was disgraceful. The curtains we hanging off of the rod, threadbare, stained and cigarette burned carpeting, wallpaper peeling off of the walls, dirty looking and cigarette burned blanket and sheets on the bed, mildew smell in the room, mold in the shower.
Threadbare and TINY bath towels in the bathroom and the handsoap turned to powder when opened.

We almost did not stay here and would have left if we could have found other accomodations.

The pictures on their website are VERY misleading!!!!!!!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank getaway_4_two
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chestertown
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Chestertown
Brampton Bed and Breakfast Inn
John Stam House
John Stam House
#5 of 11 in Chestertown

Been to Driftwood Inn? Share your experiences!