“Love the view of DEL & Chesapeake Canal traffic”

Bayard House Restaurant
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Scenic view, Families with children, Special occasions, Romantic, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
New York City, New York
“Love the view of DEL & Chesapeake Canal traffic”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 28, 2014

We took a side trip to Chesapeake City to visit the Canal Museum and see traffic along this still very active canal (although it wasn't very busy on a Sunday lunchtime when we were there). We chose Bayard House for the porch with views right on the Canal and thus ignored the standard advice to get better food at a place without a view. We both ordered the crab cake lunch and it was pretty good -- mostly crab meat and very little filler. The vegetables were a snore, a little overcooked. For what we got on the plate, prices were high. But then we were paying for the view.

• Visited April 2014
1 Thank Bagan

Chesapeake City, Maryland
“Great outdoor "umbrella bar" located on the water”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 15, 2014 via mobile

A little pricey in the upstairs dining area. Cute little bar downstairs. The "Hole in the Wall" bar!

• Visited March 2014
Reading, PA
“So So”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 23, 2014 via mobile

Stopped in for lunch. We had a choice of either lunch or brunch because it was Sunday. We chose lunch. I got the French onion soup which was Ok, nothing spectacular. It tasted like a packaged onion soup. Thin broth. My mother got the crab bisque and that was much better. She also got a Reuben sandwich which was tasty too. It had a lot of corned beef. She couldn't eat it all so they boxed it up. However she accidentally left it on the table. Now we parked across the street and she walks quite slowly, so there was ample time and opportunity to let us know when they cleared the table. Yes it was our mistake that we forgot it, but poor customer service on their part. I am very disappointed that a staff member would not/could not bring it out. We didn't realize we had left it until we got home in PA. I got the Bayard House burger with bleu cheese. It was again just OK, not very flavorful. The sweet potato fries were OK too. Will I return? Maybe in a couple of years. It does have a nice view though.

Visited March 2014
1 Thank readingrn
“Great place”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2014 via mobile

The Bayard House is a great place. Excellent food, service, and atmosphere with awesome waterfront views of ships and boats passing by right in front of you. I highly recommend the Bayard House.

Middletown, Delaware
“New Year's Eve bait and switch menu offer”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 5, 2014

I have been eating at this restaurant for over 15 years and live locally. i have always had a good experience until New Year's Eve, 2013. I called a couple weeks in advance to make a reservation and inquire about. The New Year's Eve specials. I was told they had a special for $50 a couple which included surf and turf, soup or salad, a glass of champagne and dessert. The evening of New Year's Eve we had a one hour wait even with the reservation. Once we were seated and inquired about the specials,I was told by the owner that the special I noted above did not exist and that I must have called the wrong restaurant which I knew I did not. Instead of just admitting they published this special and it was an error, he was rude and arrogant and tried to act like I made the mistake. Our prime rib was served to us cold and the coffee was also cold.
When I went home I looked up the website for the bayard house and the special that I memtioned was actually posted on their website. The most professional way he could have handled our inquiry would have been to admit they ran an ad that was a mistake and perhaps his staff didn't realize it was a mistake when I called to make a reservation. Telling me I must have called the wrong restaurant was absurd. His attitude was unprofessional and that will be the last visit to the Bayard House for our friends and extended family . We would rather go some where with respectful ownership.

• Visited December 2013