“An Expensive Disappointment”

Bayard House Restaurant
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Scenic view, Families with children, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Fayetteville, Pennsylvania
“An Expensive Disappointment”
Reviewed November 14, 2011

Atmosphere: Great. Service: OK. Food: Expensive & Average at best. Four "locals" dined here 11/13. In March the restaurant changed hands and we hoped there would be improvements. The trout stuffed with crab imperial was average. Imperial was dry and skimped on the main ingredient: crab. The sirloin strip was below average, too much pepper (it wasn't a blackened cut). Trout was $28, sirloin $25. Both served with a vegetable. Salads are ala carte. Skimpy bread plate (4 slices of a bread, 3 each of cracker and 2 other breads. Keep in mid that Maryland now taxes alcohol at 9%, food at 6%. Wine list needs serious improvement. The individual who had the sirloin ordered a side of crab imperial; it came in mid-meal with the waiter's apology. These "locals" won't return anytime soon.

• Visited November 2011
1 Thank Dutch1638

Baltimore, Maryland
“Bayard House Restaurant”
Reviewed October 16, 2011

In Chesapeake City, Maryland, lies a top-flight restaurant in an elegant Victorian building overlooking the Chesapeake Canal. The food, atmosphere, decor, service and ambiance here were exceptional. We had a table by the large window facing the Canal and as we dined we were able to watch huge ocean going vessels traversing the Chesapeake Bay and the Delaware River.

We will always return to The Bayard House Restaurant.

• Visited October 2011
1 Thank Jerry D
Wilmington, Delaware
“Really bad.”
Reviewed September 25, 2011

My husband and I used to dine there frequently but stopped about 6 yrs ago because of the quality of the food and the overall shabbiness. I heard it was under new ownership so we decided to celebrate our birthdays there.
My first problem was with the menu set in a typescript I found difficult to read. The menu itself was not exciting but there was a seafood stuffed pepper entree which seemed promising. It was expensive and overcooked with a lot of sour cream. The string beans were frozen and also overcooked. My husband's filet and crab cake were OK.
Our server also was not very caring. I asked for no onions in the salad and it came with onions. My husband and I were sharing the salad but she didn't give us any salad plates.
We had planned to get dessert but I was so frustrated we left right after the entree.
Overall it was a dismal experience.
Bayard House is still shabby and I don't know how long it can stay in business with such poor food.

• Visited September 2011
1 Thank eclairewl
Delaware
“Disappointed”
Reviewed September 11, 2011

My husband and I decided to eat lunch at the Bayard House when visiting Chesapeake City. We sat on the patio with a beautiful view of the canal. It was a wonderful setting. There were 3 other small groups at other tables so it was not busy. We could not believe how slow the service was from beginning to end. Our waiter was very professional and polite but it could not make up for the slow service. It took over 10 minutes to get water or tea refills and our request for ketchup was never fulfilled. My sandwich was good buy my fries were cold. My husband said his Mahi Mahi sandwich had little taste and was boarderline dry and his fries were also cold. We skipped dessert because we noticed that another diner waited 20 minutes for his chocolate cake. I really expected much better from such a well known restaurant. It was average at best with prices that are above average.

• Visited September 2011
1 Thank Borioles97
“Great location, good food, but kitchen can be slow.”
Reviewed September 3, 2011

This restaurant is located right on the canal and offers covered outdoor seating with a great view of the water. Indoor seating with a view is also available. The food is good - I ordered the crab melt sandwich with sweet potato fries. There was an ample amount of crab on this sandwich and the sweet potato fries were perfectly cooked and seasoned. I would suggest a honey/mustard like sauce for the sweet potato fries, as ketchup is not a complimentary condiment. At first I thought the kitchen was going to be slow during the entire experience. Another party our size was seated after us but received their soups/salads at least 10 min before we received ours. However the kitchen picked up the pace.