“Great Food, Great Views”

Bayard House Restaurant
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Springfield, Pennsylvania
“Great Food, Great Views”
Reviewed July 28, 2011

On my recent day trip to Chesapeake City we ate lunch at the Bayard House on the outside patio overlooking the canal. It was wonderful. The food was fabulous. The crab bisque soup was excellent as was the blackened tuna over a salad. My partner had a pear and walnut salad that he couldn't eat fast enough. The views were so beautiful, a perfect atmosphere. I would go back again without a second thought. Service was very good and prices reasonable.

• Visited July 2011

“Blah”
Reviewed July 9, 2011

If you know what good food is you need not go to the bayard. It is all atmosphere, beautiful canal views and that's it.

1 Thank Tenpoundsover
Rising Sun, Maryland
“Historic Building with a Lovely Canal View”
Reviewed June 7, 2011

We went on a Thursday evening in May without any reservations and did not have to wait at all for a table with a beautiful canal view. Arrived before sunset and stayed past dark. We had a great experienced waiter as he shared a lot of the local history with us. Food was very good. My spouse had a fish (haddock?) with a pineapple salsa - tasty! Not in the mood for seafood, I had the Austrian chef's self inspired beef dish (roulade?) which had roast beef wrapped around some carrots & celery with a nice sauce - it was a very German/Austrian dinner complete with spaztle and red cabbage (which was a little too sweet for my taste). Choosing ONE dessert was tough since they all looked delicious. I had the creme brulee complete with a candle after the waiter heard we were there for my birthday.
This was the first time we have been to the Bayard House and their prices are very reasonable for a nice restaurant (less than the Chesapeake Inn which is fancier & quite pricey). The dress code is a combination of dressy & nice casual. Bathrooms are located upstairs.
The entire evening was wonderful! And for a bonus, we also got to see a barge winding quietly throught the canal in front of us. Would gladly visit the Bayard House again.

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Exceptional dining on the canal!!”
Reviewed May 31, 2011

After a day of shopping, this was the perfect spot to have a nice relaxing dinner right by the canal. Servers were very friendly and attentive. Surf and turf (filet and crabcake) was exceptional. For dessert, my wife really enjoyed the creme brulee. The 7-layer cake (a Maryland signature dessert) was also delicious! A must dining experience while in Chesapeake City!

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Great lunch, beautiful view!”
Reviewed May 11, 2011

We were a little early for lunch on Saturday but the staff was very accommodating. We chose a table on the terrace as the view of the Chesapeake & Delaware canal is what decided our restaurant choice in the first place. There are also great views from the upstairs dining room which is enclosed for less ideal days.
While we looked over the drinks and lunch menu we were served a basket of three bread/cracker choices with very good herb blended butter. The wine list was limited but good, with wines by the glass or bottle. They also have a good selection of beers including local micro-brews.
The menu itself has a nice selection of soups, salads, appetizers, sandwiches and entrees. I chose the Maryland Crab cake sandwich which was served with a very generous spring salad in a lemon-vinaigrette and a side of French fries (sweet potato fires are an option.) I make my own crab cakes and have become quite the snob over the years. The Bayard House cakes were excellent. Just enough Bay seasoning and fresh lemon juice to bring out the sweetness of the crab meat. The consistency was firm with very little filler and nicely browned.
My husband ordered the Salmon BLT with French fries (which are good and fresh.) The salmon was a little over-cooked but the applewood smoked bacon, tomato and onion added a nice balance. I also have to say the dill pickles that came along with the sandwich were excellent - tasty and crisp.
The service was very attentive and not intrusive in the least. As we enjoyed our lunch, the staff set up tables on the lawn as well. If I hadn't been so hungry, I would have even waited for one of those!