“Eat under the Bridge”

Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Eat under the Bridge”
Reviewed June 16, 2014

Walk in, drive in or tie your boat up dockside, however you arrive, you will be glad you came.
You can eat inside but save that for incumbent weather.
The outdoor tables are nestled right along side the Chesapeake & Delaware Canal making for a wonderful water side setting.
Sunsets are spectacular as the sun sets directly into the water.
While I was there last, yacht large enough to have a small airplane runway on the top, lumbered in and a party of 20 got off and took over a deserted area putting tables together for their event.
No one seemed to notice . . . I guess because no plane was landing at the time.
There are ample bars where one can start the evening with a drink before a table is ready.
The usual bar drinks are all available and if you have a specialty that is not on the menu, well, the bartender will be happy to provide it for you.
The dinner menu is ample, esp. with seafood.
But what would you expect from an area noted for its seafood.
We started off with a clam dip; then my daughter in law ‘s dinner came with three 5 oz lobster tails; my son, the landlubber, had surf and turf, my wife had rainbow trout and I, almond crusted salmon.
Considering the crowd, the food came sooner than expected.
The price does not reflect the restaurant’s popularity; this is a place you can afford to come to impress someone.

• Visited June 2014

Newark, DE
“Long wait for lukewarm food”
Reviewed June 8, 2014

Just returned from Schaefer's after celebrating my husband's 50th birthday with our 3 daughters. It was a less than stellar experience. We had a long wait for our entrees (about an hour) and when they finally arrived they were lukewarm. Also, my daughter ordered the crab mac and cheese for her entree. She stated that it tasted "bitter". The other four of us tried it and agreed that it was terrible. Unfortunately the waitress never returned to our table until everyone was finished eating (except my daughter with the lousy food). When I told her how bad it tasted she said she would speak to the chef and take it off of our bill. She returned and told us that he said "that was the first complaint I've had in a year and a half" and told us she would have to speak to the manager. When she returned once more she told us that manager was too busy to speak to us and we could wait until he was free. By that time we had had enough waiting so paid our check minus a tip. I don't like to do that but felt it was the only way we could get compensated for the lousy meal. The management certainly didn't care how we felt. I think that this place just has a nice atmosphere on the water and that's as far as it goes. Needless to say, we won't be going back there.

• Visited June 2014
1 Thank CDLSB
“Cool Summertime Place”
Reviewed June 3, 2014 via mobile

This past weekend dined at Shaefer's. Pleasurable experience. Whether outside on pier or inside is beautiful atmosphere. Food delicious. Service friendly. Price, you do get what you pay for. Check it out if you enjoy fine dining.

1 Thank MelissaLPotter
Rising Sun, Maryland
“Slow kitchen during nice weather.”
Reviewed June 1, 2014

The kitchen was unable to handle the crowds on a Saturday evening with exceptionally pleasant weather conditions in Chesapeake City. Took more than an hour and a half to get our dinner after ordering, saw other tables having a similar experience. Restaurant should not seat so many people if they don't have the kitchen staff to handle the crowds. Probably will never return again.

2 Thank Chuck942
Oxford, Pennsylvania
“Seafood, Song & Ships !”
Reviewed May 31, 2014

This is our "go to" restaurant to eat outside. The view of the water and ships/boats passing by, the live music playing, and the yummy seafood is hard to beat. We have not eaten inside, but why would yoiu? The wait for an outside table varies, but there is plently of seating around a huge outside bar and along the deck rails. And if you snag a table around the bar you can eat there. I highly recommnend their seafood salad. You won't be disappointed. And you have to try their hot crab dip with soft pretzels and nachos! Outstanding. And if you come by boat, you can dock alongside the restaurant.