“Good Dinner - Great View”

Schaefer's Canal House
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
West Chester, PA
“Good Dinner - Great View”
Reviewed May 16, 2014

We had Mother's Day dinner here. I had called earlier in the week and made reservations. The earliest I could have was at 7:00 PM which was fine with me. We arrived a little early and were seated right away. We were seated inside right by the window. My husband and son were thrilled it was a buffet. Our waitress was very friendly and attentive. The food tasted good, but the hot foods were not as hot as I would have liked. A previous reviewer stated the little crab cakes had no lump crab in them. That is totally untrue. The crab cakes were filled with lump crab with very little filler. We will be returning at sometime to order from the regular menu and to sit out on the terrace. I enjoyed our dinner and the setting looking out over the canal. I would recommend this restaurant to others at this time.

1 Thank westtown_mom

“Not worth the trip”
Reviewed May 13, 2014

Stopped in for a birthday dinner. The wait for our food was horrible and the service was lacking. Over an hour wait for the appetizer, then another half hour for dinner, after complaining. After the wait the butter wouldn't even melt on the potato because it was so cold. Never got the second glass of wine I ordered or the burger I was supposed to take home to my son. Waitress tried to blame everything on the kitchen but they didn't have anything to do with bringing a glass of wine. Too many options to waste my time on another visit!

Bear, Delaware
“Mothers day”
Reviewed May 13, 2014

It's great to have Schaefers back but they need to get their act together. Went on mothers day, they don't take resevations to the outside. We had an hour wait to get a table, understandable but we then had an hour wait to get served. The waitress kept saying they were not prepared for the day. I't mothers day, what do they expect? The food was okay, not what I normally expect from them. The ahi tuna was over cooked and they only gave you a tea spoon of seaweed to go with it. The crab cake was small without any lump crabmeat in it along with being luke warm. I can understand this if you just opened but they have been open for a year now. You cannot beat the atmosphere outside, great place to enjoy the afternoon or the night!

Atlanta, Georgia
“Very long wait and problems with the bill”
Reviewed May 9, 2014

We arrived at about 7:20 p.m. and we were told it would be a "40 minute wait." Over 1 1/2 hours later we were finally seated. The hostess needs to get a better handle on actual wait times. If we had known it would take 1 1/2 hours to get a table, we would have gone elsewhere. The wait alone makes me reluctant to ever try this place again.

Fortunately, while we were waiting, we were able to find seats at the bar and order some appetizers. I attempted to close out our bar tab before heading to the table. The bartender took my card and proceeded to charge the wrong bar tab to the card. It took 10 minutes to get the right bar tab. When I asked for a refund on my card because the bartender had charged the wrong amount, he claimed that it wasn't necessary and the charge would "drop off" my card in a couple of days. When I discussed the issue with the manager, he pulled up the charges to my card from the restaurant's records and the bartender had once again charged the wrong amount to my card. Both charges to my card were higher than the actual bill. The manager again claimed that he couldn't give me a refund receipt and that the incorrect charges would "drop off" my credit card within a few business days. He eventually gave me his phone number to call if the charges didn't drop off. A total of three charges appeared on my credit card from that evening. None of them matched the actual bill for the food and drinks that we ordered at the bar. Eventually, two of the charges did drop off. Nevertheless, it was a huge hassle. I would never use a credit card at Schaefer's after this experience.

• Visited April 2014
Aston, Pennsylvania
“Enjoyable Easter Brunch”
Reviewed April 21, 2014

Had Easter Brunch at Schaefer's yesterday. They did a great job. Cold food cold, hot food hot. Yummy soups and various salads. A large selection for meat eaters. Beef tenderloin and ham were my fav. Jambalaya, stuffed flounder and crab cakes, yum. Lot was full but didn't feel jammed in. Our new to go spot for a holiday meal.

• Visited April 2014