“Almost there”

Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Lancaster, Pennsylvania
“Almost there”
Reviewed November 10, 2012

We were there for lunch and enjoyed most of the experience. Our waiter, Anthony, was great-very efficient and knowledgeable. I had fish and chips that were very crispy on the outside and tender on the inside. My husband had the oyster platter and enjoyed it. We had 2 areas of complaint. We did not care for the Country Music being played-something more relaxing would have been a better choice for lunch ( I must add that most of the lunch time crowd was older). Also the coleslaw was not what we expected. It was vinegar based not creamy(the best coleslaw is across the canal at Chesapeake Inn).
We expect to go back often, as we were customers many times at the original Schaeffer's Canal House.

• Visited November 2012
2 Thank carolkParadise

Malvern, Pennsylvania
“Great spot on a pretty day!”
Reviewed November 6, 2012

Newly reopened after many years, this is THE place to be on a nice day. Grab a cocktail at the Lighthouse Bar and watch the many boats and barges navigate the C&D Canal. Then try to make a choice from the menu...I had a tough time because everything sounded so good! the fish tacos were great!

1 Thank lindas6665
Newark, Delaware
“Not too bad but needs a little help!”
Reviewed November 5, 2012

My family reccently went to Schaefers for a Birthday party. We were wondering how it would be compared to the "old" Schaefers. The atmosphere is not as formal as it used to be, the waistaff is definatelly dressed dwn compared to the old. Not much difference in price though!! We ordered just about all of the appetizers on the menu! We had a large party. Everyone raved about them. I was under impressed since 99% of them were seafood. The fried mozzerella left much to be desired. Everyone seen please with there entrees. My chicken with a balsamic reduction was just "okay". The wait staff was rather aloof and not in hurry to to get anything and often had to be reminded several times for thins like drinks. We'll try it again in a few months hopefully it will be a little better. And lastly, if the owners actually read this- lose the Jimmy Buffet music- it may work at the outside bar but we found it rather irritating in the dining room!!

3 Thank bilinsky
“This gem finally re-opened.”
Reviewed November 4, 2012

My husband and I went to Schaefer's for lunch two weeks ago. It had been a nice place to go but then in 2005 closed. Thankfully it was purchased this past winter and the new owners have been a slew of money into it and it shows. Even the ladies room was something to make note of as being really nice. I had the combo shrimp and oyster sandwich that was outstanding and fresh as can be. My husband had the fish tacos with a mango salsa that had a nice kick to it and served beautifully with taco holders. We sat outside watching the boats go up the canal right before Hurricane Sandy was to hit. When we got seated outside we were the farthest table from the door which made me nervous thinking how bad will the service be. I was wrong. Our server Shawn was attentive and I even commented to my husband that I never felt that we were left alone. Shawn said he was from Chesapeake City so I am glad they are hiring locally. When we first got there we were walking around the building just taking a look and saw that they were removing a lot of the outdoor furniture in preparation for the hurricane. One of the people doing the move came up and ask us if we needed help and gave us directions to the entrance so we could get a table. It was such a plesant experience that I have my next lunch already picked out.

1 Thank roseynan
Chesapeake City, Maryland
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“You will not be sorry!”
Reviewed November 1, 2012

This restaurant. just opened up a couple of months ago. I The restaurant food is delicious and reasonable .,and delicious . This owner has the right chef. The outside bar during the summer with band on the water.on a hot summer night. This guy has a gold mine looking forward to next summer. But this winter I intend on enjoying appetizers to desert with my family. Birthday celebration this Sunday .!The only thing I worry about is too many people will find out about this place!