“Nice, BUT beg bugs”
Review of Ship Watch Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Chesapeake City
Ship Watch Inn
Reviewed July 9, 2011

This was a lovely inn from the onset. The room was great. However, the breakfast was uneatable and the worst part was the BED BUGS! The staff was very friendly. The town itself is very cute and charming. But I have bed bug bites all over my legs and that is unacceptable. I would never stay there again nor recommend it to a friend.

Room Tip: Bed Bugs
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
8  Thank rmf2132

Reviewed April 17, 2011

Don't stay here. As others have mentioned the walls are paper thin. Problem is that the place is very old and the floors squeak horribly as well. This was constant and unnerving.

As several other people mentioned the place is beautiful and the balcony has an awesome view of the canal, but keep in mind that you share the balcony with the rooms next to you.

The people next to us were on the balcony late drinking and were very loud with little care or regard for neighbors. The people above us were heavy and the floors squeaked every time they walked and they were up walking around til 3AM. There was no peace in this place at all. When I mentioned any of this to the owner she had little care or concern not even apologizing. I found this as extremely poor customer service.

Also if you do decide to disregard my warnings and go anyway stay away from chance of bad weather. This is not an area you want to visit in bad weather. This hotel does not give you any chance to cancel reservations based on bad weather since they require a 10 day notice. I found this rare.

We had horrible weather knocking out the power and heat for several hours. We left to warm up somewhere else. When we returned there was no parking for us leaving us to have to walk several blocks in the rain. They only have 4 parking spaces. There is no excuse for that. When you pay over $200 a night I expect to at least have a parking space.

My wife & I have stayed at several bed and breakfasts and we find that the owner's care and kindness to the people in the home makes all the difference. This care taker seemed at her wits end and lacked caring anymore. I understand they are trying to sell. I recommend if you visit that you wait until someone buys it that cares for the customers and can fix up the place. Most importantly if you do go....STAY ON THE TOP FLOOR.

Room Tip: Top floor and wear ear plugs
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
4  Thank hoppx4
Reviewed February 20, 2011

I really really liked this place. The rooms all overlook the canal and the boat traffic. You can walk out onto the deck from your room and sit outside or lounge in your room on the extremely comfortable beds. The sheets were like butter, the bathroom had a jacuzzi tub and good lighting. The breakfast were wonderful, but make sure you get down there in time. The house itself was decorated beautifully and was very comfortable. HOWEVER they really need to do something about privacy. The walls were paper thin. We could hear EVERYTHING the people in the room next to us were saying. They were not talking loud. We heard them snoring, we heard their tv, we heard when they got up to go to the bathroom, we heard when they sneezed, coughed, cleared their throats and blew their noses . This was NOT their fault. I am sure they heard everything we did too. Knowing how much we heard them we tried to whisper and keep as quiet as we could. I don't know how they can fix this, but I don't think I would stay there again.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank mama0pe
Reviewed December 4, 2010

While looking for a stop on the way from NJ to Richmond, VA we decided on the Ship Watch. Located directly on the C&D Canal which connects the Delaware River and Chesapeake Bay (Port of Baltimore also) we found good value. Checkin was seamless, and we found our room on the third floor which opened with French doors onto the upper deck. Views of the Chesapeake City Bridge and the canal were striking. We could clearly hear the other guest room shower and hallway traffic under a large gap that the room door exposed at floor level. Being an old structure, there are certain idiosyncrasies you must endure. There is the attraction of commercial ship traffic just outside your bedroom doors. You can view the canal from the waterfront balconies, which are shared per floor. During our stay we saw a variety of barge traffic and a large ocean-going car carrier transiting the canal. The car carrier set sail for the Delaware overnight, and it was so large it blotted out the sky, towering above the inn. A quaint town with shops and a few restaurants provides adequate local flavor and a good walk. The pumpkin pancakes in the morning put a nice ending touch on our stay.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 20, 2010

Would reccomend this place to anyone. We went with several friends for a weekend birthday party and it was like a step back in time. The weather was wicked hot but the hotel and bedroom, especially the bathroom was very very chilly which was a great escape from the heat. Breakfast service was very lovely as well as very delcious . A beautiful place to stay Had a chance to peak at the suite our friend stayed in absolutely would love to stay in a suite next time if available.
looking forward to going back.
thank you!!!

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 21, 2010

Great spot along a major shipping canal. Watch big ships from your luxurious room. Great town with several good restaurants. Great spot to meet new friends. Very good breakfasts. We have been there 3 times and we are looking forward to going again.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 9, 2010

My husband and I stayed here for two nights in March and we chose this place because of it's location to my parents house in NJ. The town was really cool, the people were great, and the food was awesome! The B & B was very nice, was in a great location, had amazing food, very nice people working there, but.....

First of all the owners do not live at the B & B which I did not know nor do I like. In fact we didn't even meet the owners during our stay there. The women who run the place are very nice though. Second, when I booked I was not informed that there was a wedding party staying for the weekend which had I been told that I would have chose a different location. My husband and I were going there to relax before heading back to the reality of getting a house ready to put on the market. Anyway, the wedding guest came back totally drunk around 1 am and would not be quiet. Because there is no one that lives at the B & B there was no one to assist us. We ended up calling the police when they would not stop after 2:30 am (after asking them twice nicely) which caused some of the wedding party to be even louder. All and all we got no rest our first night there. Thankfully the wedding party left on Sunday morning and we did get some rest on Sunday evening before our departure on Monday morning.

It is a rather large B & B so my suggestion when booking would be to ask what kind of event is going on when you are booking your stay. Again the town was really cool and we had a very nice time with the exception of trying to get some rest on Saturday night. We were presented with a $50 gift certificate for our troubles on a future stay; who knows if we will use it.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple
#2 of 3 in Elkton
Blue Max Inn Bed and Breakfast
Blue Max Inn Bed and Breakfast
#4 of 4 in Chesapeake City

Been to Ship Watch Inn? Share your experiences!