“Memories are often better left alone”
Review of Rod 'N' Reel

Rod 'N' Reel
Reserve with OpenTable
Rod 'N' Reel is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Scenic view
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: MD Rt. 261
Reviewed December 9, 2013

I must admit that when I booked Thanksgiving Dinner with my oldest son at the Rod & Reel, my childhood memories came into play. The Rod & Reel was my mother's favorite restaureant 50 years ago and I spent many a summer's day enoying the ammusement park and large outdoor pool that is now long gone. My father had even taken the train to Chesapeake Beach from Washingtion, DC before it went bankrupt in the 30's.

Now, I understand that it was Thanksgiving and we had a late reso but we were not greeted at the hostess stand for several minutes even though several staff members were present, including the manager. We were then forgotten at the bar for 15+ minutes even though there appeared to be several open tables. After askng the manager about our plight when he entered the bar area, he sat at a table with a good view. Ufortunatingly, our server didn't approach us untl my son grabbed another server who was passing by. Even then, he forgot our bar order, failed to fill water glasses and genrally ignored us even though there were few guests remaining in the dining room. I understand he was tired but I was a waiter when I meet my wife and waied tables again to put her through nursing son. Plus, my son is a restaurant manager. So, we understand the rigors of the business .

Now, the food was acceptable and the young man at the carving station was a joy with whom to interact. Too bad, he wasn't our server. The only item that was substandard was the pumpkin pie which was of poor store-bought quality. Wasn't a fan of the stuffng but it is a hard product to make in large quanity and keep at a good quality level.

All and all, a disappointing expereice and proves the adage, you can't go home again.

Lorin J, Marketing Coordinator at Rod 'N' Reel, responded to this reviewResponded December 12, 2013

We apologize for your disappointing dining experience with us on Thanksgiving Day and appreciate you taking the time to provide us with your feedback. We are very sorry to hear that our staff was not attentive and did not meet your expectations. We have discussed this with management to ensure that all of the staff is providing excellent customer service at all times. We are glad to hear that you were pleased with the food and again, we are sorry that your experience was overall disappointing.

Reviewed October 30, 2013

Outstanding service, food and price. Try the crab imperial...you can't go wrong with this 50 year old recipe! Desserts are also a must. The bread pudding and apple cobbler melt in your mouth.

Reviewed October 22, 2013

We have had good meals here, but most recently we were served not one, but two (after sending the first back) lobsters that wreaked of ammonium. We looked it up online and basically, the online search said that the lobsters were most likely already dead before they were cooked. Oddly enough, the manager seemed mildly concerned, but did not want to discuss the "state of the lobsters" even after he smelled it and served us a second bad lobster. On his own accord he introduced us to the general manager. I'm not sure the GM even actually looked at us and certainly did not apologize. That was somewhat disappointing. We said we just didn't want anyone to get sick. That is why I am writing this. The restaurant took off a glass of wine from the bill, which was kind of an insult given one of us never actually ate. Either way, we have had decent food here, but just check your lobsters. If they smell like ammonium, don't eat them, as it can make you sick.

Lorin J, Marketing Coordinator at Rod 'N' Reel, responded to this reviewResponded October 25, 2013

We apologize for your recent disappointing experience dining with us and we appreciate you bringing these issues to our attention. We are sorry to hear that the lobsters were unsatisfactory and we have talked to both the Chef and management team concerning this issue in order to correct it immediately and ensure that this will not happen again. Again, we apologize for the problem you experienced and thank you for taking the time to provide feedback about your recent visit. We are happy to hear that you have otherwise enjoyed the meals we serve and hope you will give us the opportunity to serve you again soon.

Reviewed October 22, 2013

Excellent breakfast buffet and very convenient from the hotel! Good drinks at the bar too! Very friendly staff and great views of the bay!!!!

Reviewed October 22, 2013

It was simple great and tasty. The service was excellent. Not waiting to be seated. Everyone was warm and friendly. Our waiter even told us some interesting things about the area.