“Stay away”

Chesapeake Beach Resort and Spa
Ithaca, New York
“Stay away”
Reviewed October 2, 2010

We got a room here for a wedding, since the reception and wedding were here. Trouble began at check in. My husband dropped me off and went to pick up our son, and since he made the reservation, they would not let me check in, even with an ID and a credit card!! They had me call my husband, hand the phone to the person at the front desk, so he could get verbal ok to let me check in!!

My sister and I went to the restaurant to get lunch since it was an evening wedding, and we stood for 10 minutes before someone even came to show us to a table, despite the fact that 2 people saw us standing there, and continued to clean off tables and talk without even acknowledging us! After we were seated, we waited an additional 10 minutes and my sister got up to get us menus. Then someone finally came over. My sister told them we were here for a wedding and were on a tight timeline, and the server said ok. It took them 40 minutes to bring us a salad and a sandwich with chips!! And the dining room was not even half full.

The wedding coordinator had booked this wedding and another back to back, and continually called the bride's room where the attendants were getting dressed telling her --you can't be late, you need to hurry, the other family wants to start sitting down!!
When I went to sit down at the ceremony site, the preacher's wife said the coordinator told her husband he would have to cut the ceremony short because they were running late by 15 minutes! After the ceremony, a guest fell and severely hurt her ankle as there was a large step down between the pier and the sand. No one was there to help. The food was mediocre, and the help at the wedding was very slow also. They did not even pick up the plates from the appetizers until after the main course, so it was difficult to find room for everything on the table.

My advice--yes it is a pretty place, but there are many pretty places around. Be smart, pick another, and don't even thing of having your wedding there!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (205)
Virginia
Reviewed October 1, 2010

Great get away. Small town, antique shops, fishing, gambling.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Annapolis, Maryland
Reviewed September 24, 2010

We got married at Herrington on the Bay, so this hotel was the only option we had for our wedding night stay and for all of our many out-of-town guests. It is a lovely location, and we were very happy with our hotel room, although they do not have incentives like other hotels where you get your wedding night room for free if so many of your guests stay there. Our friends got us the wedding night package, with roses in the room and on the bed - it was a great surprise! We enjoyed everything about the place until we got a call the next day saying they were going to charge us $100 because the rose petals THEY placed on the bed, unbeknowst to us, apparently stained the comforter and apparently I got too much makeup on their face towels, so they were going to charge us for that as well.

My mom works in the resort industry, so she told me to call and explain it was our wedding night, I was the bride, and we did not put the rose petals on the bed. I was treated so rudely by the manager on site. She told me that we should have known better and then lied to us and said she spoke to the general manager who confirmed the charge - we found out later the general manager was not even there that day. My father was so upset, he called back and was also treated with the same rude attitude and desire to NOT be customer-service minded. She even said that the hotel did not care if they got bad reviews because they are the only place in town.

Eventually, my father got ahold of the general manager who apologized and did refund the charge. However, when we talked to the rest of our family and friends who stayed there, they had similar experiences where the staff was incredibly rude to them and the service was awful. My parents followed up with locals in town, who said that no one local stays there because it is so awful - only out -of-towners who do not know any better.

Thus, it was quite the horrible experience the day after our wedding. We realize this might be the only place to stay, but we would recommend renting a house or trying to stay at Herrington on the Bay or out of town a bit, as this place does not care about their customers, even those celebrating once-in-a-lifetime events.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank bigetan
Annapolis, Maryland
Reviewed September 12, 2010

The Chesapeake Beach Hotel and Spa is attractive and clean. Our room was beautiful with a balcony overlooking the Chesapeake Bay. The staff was friendly and helpful. We made use of the indoor pool and free wifi. (A tip: You need to ask the front desk for a user id and password to access the internet. It took us a while to figure this out.) I was disappointed that such an expensive hotel did not have room service.

First impressions are important. Upon checking in, I was given a lengthy contract and asked to initial in five places that I would not break their rules, including disturbing other guests and grilling on the balcony. They automatically charge your room $50 a day for incidentals. My first thought was what kind of place is this? Do they have rowdy guests who ditch without paying? At the end of the contract is a section called Surrender of Property in which there is a tangle of legalese which the two employees present could not explain. I almost left right there and then. It was too weird. This was a birthday weekend for my daughter, so I signed and moved on to the next strange thing, a sign in the hallway stating that "Quiet Time" was between 11:00 p.m. and 6:00 a.m. Again, why would an expensive hotel have to post signs to prevent the wild behavior they expect from their guests?

The Rod 'n Reel Restaurant has a cheerful atmosphere and attentive staff. My daughter and I were impressed with the seafood, which was cooked to perfection. The wine was elegant and the vegetables cooked just right. The only minus was the excessive use of butter.

The Boardwalk Cafe was pleasant when we had lunch there during the day but appeared abandoned by nine that Friday evening. Even though it was dark and the chairs were turned up, it was open. We received weak drinks in plastic beer glasses while we were approached by a couple of local men (the only other customers) who obviously had way too much to drink. We were expecting a lively beach side location with colorful drinks with fruit and umbrellas. We finished our drinks and fled, arriving back in our room way before Quiet Time.

Smokey Joe's Grill was just scary. There were a few lone customers intent on their drinks. We stayed for five minutes and decided that it was too uncomfortable to stay. I'd recommend that visitors who would like to go out at night drive into Annapolis where there are many nice places.

The spa experience was mostly pleasant. Our manicurists were delightful and professional. For a professional massage, I'd recommend The Healing Arts Center up the road in North Beach. The massages we received at the hotel spa were not very good.

Overall, I'd say that the Chesapeake Hotel and Spa scores high on friendliness but low on bang for the buck.

• Stayed August 2010
Pasadena, Maryland
Reviewed August 30, 2010

There are many places in Maryland to choose for a beach themed wedding BUT, the Chesapeake Beach Resort & Spa at Chesapeake Beach, Maryland had the most pluses on our list. The location is a beautiful spot RIGHT ON the Chesapeake Bay. Arrive by car or arrive by boat (our next trip we are taking the boat!). The owners are apparently thinking ahead to keep everything up-to-date, entertaining and fresh. The resort is CLEAN and the staff is right there to take care of your request with a smile every time. The food was EXCELLENT! Our guests have not stopped talking about the wonderful resort & delicious food they enjoyed over the weekend. There is valet parking along with a golf type cart to shuttle you from your car to the hotel with all of your luggage should you decided to park on the lot yourself. We happened to have many boxes filled with wedding items and the attendant on duty was most helpful getting us carts, etc. Arriving in our room, I looked all around the bedding and furnishings (hey, I saw the news about the bed bugs, too!) and I am very happy to say our suite was perfectly clean and I also checked the other rooms that relatives were staying in. The cleaning staff was busy doing their job each day. We requested extra items at various times to keep up with our small grandchild who took turns staying in various rooms with the relatives. The staff never once complained or neglected our needs. The pool is enclosed and was perfect to take the family down for a dip. Most guests must be fishing because we had the pool to ourselves that afternoon for 2 hours. The food was really good, too. Not just seafood! The chicken, fixed a couple of different ways that we tried, was very tasty. The beef was, too. The seafood, of course, was excellent. The buffet breakfast was a favorite of the grandchild who loved watching the waffles being made. My favorite, too! If you go, talk with the staff - they are super! We were lucky enough to listen to a band play out on the boardwalk deck area Sunday evening. We danced a bit up on our balcony and sang along. I did not get to personally try everything at the resort. The bridesmaids had their hair styled for the wedding and their nails done. The photographer took the maids and the groomsmen around the resort taking photos. After the reception in the Chesapeake Room the celebration continued out in the Boardwalk Cafe until it closed! If you like to fish, get a group and charter one of the boats for a nice day of catching some fish from the Bay. Our guys chartered the Miss Linda and had a wonderful time with the Captain. There is a nice tackle/gift shop there, too. There is a water park right across the road from the resort. Friends were there for the day and loved it. They couldn't get their young children to leave without promising they would return another day. If the older grandchildren had been with us the game room would have been entertaining for them. For the adults, there are the slot machines to enjoy. North Beach, 5 minutes away, is great to go beaching with the family. While it is small, compared to Ocean City, Maryland, the easy drive and the cleanliness and the friendly people will make the vacation one you may wish to repeat - over and over! I obviously have enjoyed our wedding/vacation trip very much due to the wonderful people that are there working hard to make sure we DO have a great time there. Put this one on your list for a wedding, a fishing trip or a nice beach time vacation.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
Maryland
Reviewed August 11, 2010

Stayed here for a fishing trip. There is a marina at the hotel and one across the street. Everything you need is right here. Rolands Grocery which makes great subs, liquor, subway, chinese food in the strip center next to the property. Room and staff was very clean and nice. Breakfast was just continental, buns and bagels. Didnt get the balcony room because we were only staying for 2 nights and why would i want to sit on the balcony here when there are better spots to be at this place ?.

There are 3 restaraunts onsite. Rod and Reel was fine, we just had appetizers, staff was nice and fast. Smokey Joes, if I ever go back it will be for carry out and order it an hour ahead. Food took at least 35 minuites to come out. Pitiful even though it was all very good. Waiter was nice but he would not pick empties off of the table...duh. He was kind of Norman Bate..ish. Did not eat at the Tiki bar but we sat at it every night and the food looked prettty good..

I did not know there were slot machines here, real nice surpise. They were lots of fun but draws a very sketchy crowd and all the game rooms were packed. I was told the first Friday of the month it gets very busy in here due to welfare checks come out then.

I did not expect to go swimming here in the Bay water. Water is murky and brown. I wouldnt go in even if there was a beach. The hotel was very busy and bustling, there was a wedding there also. The bars and restaraunts seemed to die down and empty out at 10 pm. We had a blast here and you do not have to leave the property. I will definately come back again.

Oh and only one pool, indoor. I hate indoor pools. There is no more empty property to put a pool too bad.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Washington, DC
Reviewed August 7, 2010

The hotel and pool were nice, but contrary to the name, there is no access to the beach, which was disappointing. The rooms were nicely furnished and the breakfast was decent.
We were disappointed that we asked if we could check out 45 minutes late so that our son, who is less than one, could finish his nap (he fell asleep less than five minutes before checkout) and they said no, so we had to wake him up.
Also, DO NOT eat at Smokey Joe's - the food was pretty bad. We ordered basic chicken sandwiches and fries and got partly undercooked/ partly burnt chicken and soggy fries.
The location is good because it is close to the Chesapeake Water Park, and not a far drive from North Beach. Also, there were plenty of other families staying there.
I would give it a 5 out of 10.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chesapeake Beach
Inn at Perry Cabin by Belmond
The Inn at Chesapeake Bay Beach Club
St. Michaels Inn
St. Michaels Inn
#4 of 4 in St. Michaels
SpringHill Suites Prince Frederick
SpringHill Suites Prince Frederi...
#1 of 3 in Prince Frederick
Hilton Garden Inn Solomons
St. Michaels Harbour Inn Marina & Spa

Been to Chesapeake Beach Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!