“Off Season stay” 3 of 5 bubbles

Chesapeake Beach Resort and Spa
Fairfax, Virginia
“Off Season stay”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 3, 2013

for my Thanksgiving break I like to check out different resorts within a three hour drive to my home near Washington DC. Chesapeake Beach was one that I wanted to try and it is very close - within an hour. I reserved the room on the phone only to be called back with a different rate as the lower price suddenly was "unavailable" and now costs me $30 more.

Check in was granted early (about noon) and then we went to the main restaurant, Rod-n-Reel. There were 2 other parties in front of us and no hostess for about 10 minutes. We were finally seated but service was slow (15 minutes for drinks). Dinner proved to be slow again but overall food was good but simple.

Checking into the room was clean and well appointed (yay for the Krurig coffee maker) but the bathroom could use updating.

The "bingo" slots to me take away from the resorts charm but the history about the area is very interesting.

For the overall price, I would expect a bit more.

Room Tip: Ask for water view
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Lorin J, Marketing Coordinator at Chesapeake Beach Resort and Spa, responded to this review, December 5, 2013
We appreciate you taking the time to write a review about your recent stay with us. We apologize for the inconvenience with booking your room and that you were given an unavailable room with a lower rate when making your reservation. We are also disappointed to hear about your wait time and the slow service you experienced at the Rod ‘N’ Reel. Could you please provide us with the date of your visit to Rod ‘N’ Reel so we can discuss this with the staff and management that was working? We are pleased to hear that your enjoyed the amenities in our guest rooms. Again, thank you for providing us with feedback about your recent stay.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (203)
Bowie, Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 29, 2013

Girls getaway to play all day bingo. Gaming room also onsite. Hotel room was very clean and had a nice Bay view. Nice refrigerator and Kuerig in room. Bathroom shower was great. Would recommend breakfast buffet on Sunday - wide variety of good breakfast foods and reasonable. Must get the make-your-own omlet,

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank brendainbowie
Clinton, Maryland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 27, 2013

We wanted to have our girls getaway in a place close to home that also had a place for us
to play our bingo machines. The hotel and room were very clean and the beds were comfortable if I can make that conclusion from all the snoring I had to listen to from my 2 besties. I wished

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 18, 2013

Came here for my sister's wedding. Stayed for two nights in a water-view room. The room was a good size. Enough room so that I could bring my son's pack and play for him to sleep in.

The room was clean and the king sized bed was comfortable. No complaints about the room.

The space where the wedding was held was very nice. There were about 75 guests, with enough space for everyone and a dance floor.

The breakfast buffet was very good and very big! Recommend it to everyone, but it seemed to get very crowded as the morning went on. We went around 8:00 / 8:30 and it was early enough that it was not crowded yet.

Overall nice stay. Did not explore the surrounding area, but it looks like a nice little town.

Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank DCgirl520
Pasadena, Maryland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 18, 2013

Stayed 11-16-13 for an overnight getaway with my husband. Chose this resort since it was closer to home than Ocean City. Pleasant surprise when we arrived at noon and our room was ready. King water view room with balcony. Nice view of the shoreline and Bay. Clean room, refrigerator and Kuerig in room. Comfy chairs on the balcony so you could see over railing. Went to the restaurants and bars on site. Bed was not as comfortable as I have had in other resorts. Had a great time! Would recommend to our family and friends.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Atlantic City, New Jersey
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 12, 2013

I always enjoy me stay at Chesapeake Beach Hotel & Spa. The price is right and the amenities are convenient. Being surrounded by hotels in Atlantic City and having stayed at many over the years, I would make these few suggestions: Would be nice if staff would acknowledge the guest when passing them in the hall with a smile and a "Hello" instead of looking straight ahead or putting their heads down to avoid eye contact. Also, the sheets on the bed were not of very good quality. I would suggest 100% cotton with at least 800 thread count - makes a big difference. I did e-mail a request with my reservation for a cot or sofa bed to be provided. Nothing was ever mentioned about it when I checked in. As it turned out, I didn't bring my grandson, so it wasn't needed, but would have been nice to have had my request acknowledged to know you received it and put it with my reservation, instead of ignoring it. Additionally, when I showed up to a nearly empty restaurant on Saturday morning and requested a table for six, I was told the large table was reserved, but that the party wouldn't be in for awhile so they would let me have it. Then, I was taken to a smaller table where an extra chair was placed to make six. The sun was directly in my face. When I asked if the shade could be drawn, the waitress said the sun would move and suggested I move to another chair - Huh? During our meal, the hostess nervously came over to the table and asked if my other party members would be joining me soon - bottom line, I felt rushed and as if I was causing a problem by having such a large party - I repeat - the restaurant was nearly empty. Also, the food was cold even though we arrived at 8:15 a.m. shortly after the restaurant opened for the buffet.
Employees need to learn to smile and be friendlier.

Room Tip: Ask for one of their larger room with a balcony with a waterview or you may find yourself in a small...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Louise H
Jonestown, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2013

Pampered feeling at this hotel. All the comfort and convenience of a cruise ship. I was pleased to know I didn't have to go very far to access my every need...within walking distance. Great breakfast buffet, easy simple breakfast off the menu. Dinner at both restaraunts was filling and good quality. Pool was great. View is of the bay. Next time, I may get the King suite for the jaccuzzi. There is a pool and sauna, but no hot tub. I'm used to cruise ships. I rate this a 9. Slots were poor, don't go for the gaming aspect. The hotel is all that matters. We went for a family wedding and were surprised that one of our group stayed at the Chesapeake one night and also at the Yacht club the second night but preferred our Chesapeake hotel without question. I tend to agree.

Room Tip: End of hall is good for sleeping-in due to elevator traffic. There is a noise curfew.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chesapeake Beach
Inn at Perry Cabin by Belmond
Inn at Perry Cabin by Belmond
#1 of 4 in St. Michaels
The Inn at Chesapeake Bay Beach Club
Hilton Garden Inn Solomons
SpringHill Suites Prince Frederick
SpringHill Suites Prince Frederi...
#1 of 3 in Prince Frederick
St. Michaels Inn
St. Michaels Inn
#4 of 4 in St. Michaels
St. Michaels Harbour Inn Marina & Spa

Been to Chesapeake Beach Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!