“Relaxing Visit”

Chesapeake Beach Resort and Spa
Reston, Virginia
“Relaxing Visit”
Reviewed October 27, 2011

I had a very enjoyable and relaxing visit last weekend. Our room was a bit dated, but clean. The bed was comfortable, and the view was incredible (we had a waterfront balcony room).

Pros: The staff. We couldn't get over how friendly and accommodating the staff were. We were constantly greeted by the staff and they were always making sure that our needs were being met. Top notch service in my book! We also liked that we had a Keurig machine in the room and access to flavored creamers in the lobby. The free continental breakfast was nothing fancy, but it was good. As another reviewer noted, it is also great that they post quiet signs in the halls to help curb noise at night.

Cons: The biggest con for us was the free Wifi. It would let us connect via iPad or laptop, but the connection only lasted a couple of minutes before it kicked us off. There were two computers off of the lobby for guest use though, so I was still able to check my email.

Overall, a very pleasant stay.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (205)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed October 12, 2011

Nothing special about it. I was expecting more. The location, the spa and restaurants are perfectly located but the room and service was a let down. This hotel has great potential...but it needs some work. It was nice to see the "quiet between 11-6 "sign on the floor.

Room Tip: ask what kind of view is your room...even if you don't have a waterview...you dont want the side...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
ChesapeakeBchResort, General Manager at Chesapeake Beach Resort and Spa, responded to this review, October 14, 2011
Dear Guest;
Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay to the Chesapeake Beach Resort & Spa. I am concerned that we were not able to exceed your expectations during this visit, and hope that we will have an opportunity to serve your needs in the future. Please contact me to arrange your next reservation, so that we can make your next visit more enjoyable.
Lynchburg, Virginia
Reviewed October 11, 2011

My wife and I stayed at the Chesapeake Beach Resort & Spa because we were attending a friend's wedding there. Only that fact kept us from leaving after the first night.

Some highlights:
- We booked the room months in advance as part of a block package for the aforementioned wedding. Yet when we checked in, we were charged the normal rate. When my wife asked about the block rate, the desk clerk told us she had "no way of knowing" what block rate we'd been quoted--and thus couldn't honor the previous price quote.

- The elevators in the hotel were not accessible for use from the third or fourth floors for the duration of our stay. The hotel staff apologized for this (our room was on the third floor), but no other remedy was offered to mitigate the inconvenience. Such a lack of concern and/or customer-service orientation was to be a hallmark of our visit.

- During time spent at the establishment's Sunday brunch buffet, our room was not made up, though we had hung out the placard asking for service.

- Speaking of the buffet, the host staff and service staff--nearly to a person--displayed a lack of professionalism. The hostesses offered not time frame for my wife and I to be seated when we arrived. They then seated another couple ahead of us, as well as two parties of five or more. When our name was finally called, our hostess left us waiting at the stand while she, another hostess and a server debated a seating issue. When I inquired about our being seated, the hostess replied, tersely, "I'm taking you now."

- During our meal, I witnessed other such indications of poor service--including a nearby customer who had to inquire about getting his change after waiting for 10 minutes. I also had a the misfortune of being seated next to the service bay, and was thus subject to overhearing the wait staff make snide observations about the customers.

These direct experiences, plus several I personally witnessed while enjoying coffee in the lobby on successive mornings (e.g., a desk clerk telling a customer phoning to inquire about purchasing a gift card that "the person who does the gift cards isn't in, and I don't know when she'll be back so I can't help you") lead me to conclude that there's a systemic problem with this property's staff and its training. Which is a shame, as the rooms were quite nice and seemed clean, and the food itself was very good and of good quality. It was the human factor that ultimately soured the experience for us. We will not be returning.

Room Tip: Out-of-service elevators make lower floors more appealing.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
7 Thank Brian W
Dear Guest.
Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay to the Chesapeake Beach Resort & Spa. I am concerned that we were not able to exceed your expectations during this visit, and hope that we will have an opportunity to serve your needs in the future. I apologize that we did experience an elevator problem during your stay with us. Although we attempted to correct the issue through our contracted repair service, the repairs took longer than anticipated to resolve.
I would hope that you would give us a future opportunity to offer you our Chesapeake Beach Hospitality, and ask that you contact me directly to make your next reservation.
At Your Service;
Virginia
Reviewed September 24, 2011

We stayed one night for a wedding at the Chesapeake Beach Hotel and Spa. The room and bathroom were both spacious and comfortable. The beds were particularly comfortable, with firm pillows. . .which I like. We could hear some kids apparently playing on the trampoline in the room above ours (we were on the second floor of four), but it was not a big issue. The desk staff were courteous and efficient, but we didn't ask anything of them out of the ordinary. There is a free continental breakfast available in the lobby area, or a full buffet breakfast in the Rod & Reel restaurant (one of two restaurants on-site). The breakfast was good, with lots of fresh fruit available. The attraction of Chesapeake Beach appears to be the water park, across the street from the hotel, and charter boat fishing. The hotel has an indoor pool, but we didn't use it. The rooms are priced according to the season and the view. Expect to pay more for a view over the Chesapeake. This is a competent, if unexciting hotel.

Room Tip: Specify if you want a view of the Chesapeake.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank RebelVirginia
Dear Guest;
Thank you for your kind comments regarding your recent visit to Chesapeake Beach. We hope that we have the opportunity to see you and your family again soon.
Silver Spring, Maryland
Reviewed September 21, 2011

This resort appears to be highly over rated. the service is just OK. The food is the restaurant is just OK, nothing great but not a failing grade either. I'm not sure why they seem to be running slot machines all over the place but it is always crowded and no place to park. Now for the good part. The Sunday brunch is out of this world..... If you like breakfast this is a must experience. they have everything that you could ever want to eat for breakfast. If it wasn't for their brunch I would suggest going else where.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay to the Chesapeake Beach Resort & Spa. I am glad that you and your family enjoyed our Sunday Brunch. I am concerned that we were not able to exceed your expectations during this visit, and hope that we will have an opportunity to serve your needs in the future. Please contact me to arrange your next reservation, so that we can make your next visit more enjoyable.
Silver Spring, Maryland
Reviewed September 21, 2011

Stayed at the Chesapeake Beach Hotel and Spa for a weekend wedding. We had a great time. The hotel was nice, the staff helpful, but we had two problems. And we are not complainers. On arrival, there were ants in our room, walking on the main desk, side table, and at the bottom of the sliding glass door. There were dead ants on top of the cover sheet (?). I asked the front desk to help and they cheerfully sprayed the sliding glass door and that took care of the problem. However, on Saturday, I placed our wet and soiled towels on the floor to signify that we wanted fresh towels. I used them to clean up water on the floor. Whoever cleaned up our room 404 on Saturday September 17, 2011 took our wet and dirty towels from the floor, refolded them, and put them back on the shelf! Not acceptable. I asked for fresh towels, resolving our immediate problem. And at check-out, I wrote the above on a comment card. Not sure if they took the comment seriously. So bottom line: ask for fresh towels. We will go back, but we were surprised and disappointed that our complaint was not taken seriously.

Otherwise, nice hotel in small town. Not really a resort but a nice hotel. Three restaurants on site. Great location for a wedding. And if you are so inclined, slots and bingo.

Beaches. If you want to go to the beach, skip the teeny-tiny Chesapeake Beach and go south on Bayside Road (261) five or ten minutes and hang a left on Breezy Point Road and go to Breezy Point Beach and Campground. Much bigger beach that is maintained, has picnic tables, and trees for shade. Cost us $8 for the day.

Need Stuff? The town itself is limited in terms of stores and etc. Ask the front desk for directions to the Prince Frederick Shopping Center, with a Wal-Mart, Giant, etc. on highway 4.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Mim L
Falls Church, Virginia
Reviewed August 27, 2011

I came here for a two-day company retreat with my three business partners. After having read the reviews, I wasn't sure what to expect. The conference room they provided was well outfitted with the electronic hook-ups we needed and supplied with coffee, tea and ice water all day. The hotel staff was friendly and accommodating. The hotel was clean and well-maintained.
My room, which was on the 2nd floor, was nice, had free wi-fi, and a good view of the bay. The only negatives were that the bed was too firm, and the bedding not as plush as I'm used to in many hotels.
We ate at two of the restaurants - the Rod 'n Reel and outside, at the Cafe. The food was very good (especially the crabcakes) and service was good. I would recommend this place for a business meeting and for a weekend getaway. Next time I go, I'll bring my husband - I know he'll enjoy the charter fishing!

Room Tip: Make sure to ask for a room on the 3rd or 4th floors with a view of the Chesapeake Bay.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chesapeake Beach
Inn at Perry Cabin by Belmond
The Inn at Chesapeake Bay Beach Club
St. Michaels Inn
St. Michaels Inn
#4 of 4 in St. Michaels
SpringHill Suites Prince Frederick
SpringHill Suites Prince Frederi...
#1 of 3 in Prince Frederick
Hilton Garden Inn Solomons
St. Michaels Harbour Inn Marina & Spa

Been to Chesapeake Beach Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!