“Nice Hotel. Friendly Staff. But Ask for Fresh Towels.”

Chesapeake Beach Resort and Spa
Silver Spring, Maryland
“Nice Hotel. Friendly Staff. But Ask for Fresh Towels.”
Reviewed September 21, 2011

Stayed at the Chesapeake Beach Hotel and Spa for a weekend wedding. We had a great time. The hotel was nice, the staff helpful, but we had two problems. And we are not complainers. On arrival, there were ants in our room, walking on the main desk, side table, and at the bottom of the sliding glass door. There were dead ants on top of the cover sheet (?). I asked the front desk to help and they cheerfully sprayed the sliding glass door and that took care of the problem. However, on Saturday, I placed our wet and soiled towels on the floor to signify that we wanted fresh towels. I used them to clean up water on the floor. Whoever cleaned up our room 404 on Saturday September 17, 2011 took our wet and dirty towels from the floor, refolded them, and put them back on the shelf! Not acceptable. I asked for fresh towels, resolving our immediate problem. And at check-out, I wrote the above on a comment card. Not sure if they took the comment seriously. So bottom line: ask for fresh towels. We will go back, but we were surprised and disappointed that our complaint was not taken seriously.

Otherwise, nice hotel in small town. Not really a resort but a nice hotel. Three restaurants on site. Great location for a wedding. And if you are so inclined, slots and bingo.

Beaches. If you want to go to the beach, skip the teeny-tiny Chesapeake Beach and go south on Bayside Road (261) five or ten minutes and hang a left on Breezy Point Road and go to Breezy Point Beach and Campground. Much bigger beach that is maintained, has picnic tables, and trees for shade. Cost us $8 for the day.

Need Stuff? The town itself is limited in terms of stores and etc. Ask the front desk for directions to the Prince Frederick Shopping Center, with a Wal-Mart, Giant, etc. on highway 4.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Mim L

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (213)
Falls Church, Virginia
Reviewed August 27, 2011

I came here for a two-day company retreat with my three business partners. After having read the reviews, I wasn't sure what to expect. The conference room they provided was well outfitted with the electronic hook-ups we needed and supplied with coffee, tea and ice water all day. The hotel staff was friendly and accommodating. The hotel was clean and well-maintained.
My room, which was on the 2nd floor, was nice, had free wi-fi, and a good view of the bay. The only negatives were that the bed was too firm, and the bedding not as plush as I'm used to in many hotels.
We ate at two of the restaurants - the Rod 'n Reel and outside, at the Cafe. The food was very good (especially the crabcakes) and service was good. I would recommend this place for a business meeting and for a weekend getaway. Next time I go, I'll bring my husband - I know he'll enjoy the charter fishing!

Room Tip: Make sure to ask for a room on the 3rd or 4th floors with a view of the Chesapeake Bay.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
ChesapeakeBchResort, General Manager at Chesapeake Beach Resort and Spa, responded to this review, October 14, 2011
Thank you for your kind comments regarding your recent visit to Chesapeake Beach. We hope that we have the opportunity to see you and your family again soon.
At Your Service
Reviewed August 22, 2011

We needed a quick get away vacation. Made last minute reservations. Was able to book a room with water view and balcony. I was concerned after reading some reviews. We checked in, and were pleasantly surprised with our room. Our view was awesome. The room was clean, staff friendly and our bed was comfortable. Dinner at the rod and reel was excellent. We enjoyed our stay so much we are making reservations to go back in 2 weeks. What a great inexpensive weekend!!!!

• Stayed August 2011
1 Thank Hobbes768
Chicago
Reviewed August 13, 2011

This place is part of a resturant/bar/hotel complex, and I have to say I think they care more about the bar and resturants, than the hotel.

First, we made our reservations 5 months in advance, and when we checked in all we could get was a veiw of the AC units. We were late in arriving, so we were too tired to request a different room, but that weighs little on what I write here. Actually, it was nice and private, and surprisingly quiet. The second thing we noticed in the room was no towels, so we went to the front desk to get more. The next day we hoped for a little better cleaning service, but this time they didn't replace the depleted toilet tissue, or soap, and left only 2 towels. Again, to the Front desk. Finally, the complimentary Breakfast buffet was not tended to ( that one day we were ther for it ) and many items were empty.

We stayed here for 3 nights, and and ate at 2 of the resturants. At Smokey Joe's, the wait time was over an hour to get our food, and it tasted like re-heated pre-packaged stuff at that. But I have to give cedit where credit is due and say the Rod & Reel had top-notch food and service.

All in all, I think all you should expect is nothing more than a Comfort Inn (no offense to Clarion Hotels - I love their hotels for the price ) and a Denny's (again, no offense). The kicker is, when commenting on all this to the Staff, the reply was "Oh...Sorry you feel that way."

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank ohhbob
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed August 8, 2011

My friend and I stayed at the Chesapeake Beach Hotel and Spa this past weekend. The hotel, spa and room looked very nice. We were please.
My friend and I left out of the room to go to dinner and upon our return, we found our room full of bugs. Mosquitos and other flying insects. They were around on the wall, on the table. We double checked the sliding door to make sure it was closed and it was. We went to the front desk and told them about the bugs and they did not seem surprised at all. They just said oh, ok. We will check it out. My guess is that the bugs were coming in thru the ventilation system somehow. I love chesapeake beach, but WILL NOT be staying at this hotel again.

Room Tip: Rent a nearby condo instead.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank Kstokes39
ChesapeakeBchResort, General Manager at Chesapeake Beach Resort and Spa, responded to this review, August 9, 2011
Dear Guest;
Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay at the Chesapeake Beach Resort & Spa. I am concerned about your experience with flying insects in your room. Mosquitoes, Midges and May Flies are prevalent here on the Chesapeake Bay, and make themselves known at sunset. These pests may enter your room, without an invitation, by simply leaving the screen door to the Bay open for a few seconds. I sincerely apologize for this uncomfortable inconvenience, and will discuss the response you received with our staff. I truly hope that you will consider our resort in the future.
At your service:
Morgantown, West Virginia
Reviewed August 1, 2011

Upon our arrival, the front desk staff were very nice and friendly. We were quickly checked into our room. My husband and I went upstairs and opened the door and was quickly met with a strong odor that smelled like cat urine. The window was open in an attempt to air out the room and the air was not on. It was absolutely disgusting. We immediately went back to the front desk and a staff member walked back upstairs with us. She agreed that the smell was unusual and offered to "neutralize" the room. No thank you. I insisted we move to a different unit. I was then told she would have to talk to her manager. After about a 45 minute wait, we were moved to a different room. This room was without smell, but came with a broken water glass and two dirty coffee mugs. The bathroom sink was also dirty.

I was chatting with another guest at the outside bar and she said she checked into a room that had dirty towels on the floor and an unmade bed. Obviously they have cleaning staff issues.

At the end of the day, we left early and showered twice. We simply felt dirty after sleeping there. I recommend going elsewhere.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank JewelsJ_27
Dear Guest;
I am so sorry that your experience at the Chesapeake Beach Resort & Spa was below your expectations. The conditions that you encountered are not what we hope to deliver, and in your case we have fallen short. Absolutely no excuses can be offered, other than we must try harder for you and all of our guests.
I hope that you will allow us to “Exceed” your expectations during your next visit to the resort. Please contact me personally to arrange your future reservations. I offer you my most sincere apology, on behalf of the entire staff or the resort.
Thank you for your comments.
At your service:
Bowie, MD
Reviewed July 30, 2011

So I wouldn't call this property a resort. It's a solid 3 star hotel. We found the service to be wonderful! They accommodated our early check in due to the heat. We liked the room. Nice big bathroom. And we found the entire property to be very clean. The kids liked the pool and the towels provided. We didn't try the spa. We tried Smokey Joe's (see my review on that). For us it just missed some of the resort features like room service.

• Stayed July 2011
ChesapeakeBchResort, Manager at Chesapeake Beach Resort and Spa, responded to this review, August 9, 2011
Dear Guest;
Thank you for your comments regarding the Chesapeake Beach Resort & Spa. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay and the features of the resort. We look forward to your next visit.
At your service;
Executive Inn & Suites
Executive Inn & Suites
#3 of 3 in Upper Marlboro
Anchored Inn at Hidden Harbor

Been to Chesapeake Beach Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!