“What a disappointment!!!”

Chesapeake Beach Resort and Spa
Maryland
“What a disappointment!!!”
Reviewed November 5, 2007

I had been researching the “resort” for some time and was extremely excited that the weekend had come for me to visit. When I checked in…I decided that I would go ahead and pay my balance. I told them that I would be paying half cash and the other half on my credit card. Well, I shouldn’t have done that because that totally confused them. I didn’t think it was a strange request because I have done this at several other hotels. After straightening out all the confusion, I went on to my room. Upon entering the room I was so disappointed. I felt like I had entered a room at the Red Roof Inn!! Don’t get me wrong…it was very clean but nothing special at all!!! It didn’t even have a microwave or fridge in the room. I enquired about it with the front desk and she told me that there was a microwave down stairs and to get a fridge in my room would be an additional $10.00 per night. I could not believe what I was hearing!! This luxury “resort” had not impressed me so far.

The next morning I decided to venture out and check out my surroundings. First I wanted to check out the breakfast that was indicated on the website. I found that it was not a full breakfast but a continental breakfast. Bagels, donuts, cereal and yogurt. I was once again disappointed because I thought a luxury resort would have offered more.
I returned to the hotel at almost 2:00pm only to find out that my room had not been cleaned. I tried calling the front desk twice and go no answer. I went back downstairs to complain. They gave lots of apologies (which became a habit) and quickly sent someone up to clean my room. I waited downstairs until they were done and decided to check out the business center. With one working computer I decided to surf the web while I waited. After about 30 minutes I returned to my room only to find that the key card didn’t work. I return down to the front desk…again. I tell them my problem and they start questioning me about if I had already paid, was I in the room with someone else, etc… I was not only furious about being locked out of my room but also about the questioning.

Finally…check out day was here! I go down first thing in the morning to get this whole ordeal over with. I hand the lady the key cards and tell her what room I was in. She then tells me that I owe a balance of $316!!! What??!!! Remember…I paid for everything when I checked in! Again, I feel myself getting warm. After checking things out she does see where the cash was paid but does not see the amount charged to my credit card. I tell her that if I find that my card has been charged twice, there will be problems!! I paid the remaining balance on my card and will be checking today to make sure I was not charged twice.

I will never stay at this facility again and I do not recommend it to anyone! It is highly over priced and the website is extremely misleading!!!

• Liked — Nothing
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled on business
5 Thank teerob

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (208)
Washington
Reviewed September 14, 2007

I recently got married at this resort and while I must say I was very pleased with my wedding -- it was in a beatuful setting, the food was good and the hotel wedding coordinator was great-- the hotel gave me nothing but problems all along the way.

They mixed up my hotel block, wouldn't return my phone calls and had my group spread across the entire hotel. The staff was not knowledgeable and things had to keep escalating to the owner, Mary (who's NOT the nicest person in the world) in order to get resolved. I had so many issues escalate that by the time I got married, I had Mary's home number in my cell phone!

I guess my love for my husband is the only reason I'm not outraged by this place.

I didn't use their spa services because they were way overpriced.The rooms were overpriced, too, but we got a discount by booking a block of rooms. They are also very short staffed -- maybe because they are in the middle of nowhere? My cousin also found a condom in his room, but they promptly upgraded him to a better room with no evidence of the last romp that occurred in there.

It's sad that their management and staff are terrible because the place does have potential... but Mary and her staff have a long way to go.

• Liked — The beach front views
  • Disliked — Poor management
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
1 Thank Mimsy05
Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 19, 2006

We had the pleasure to stay in the hotel. The setting is stunning, and there are good places to eat for all budgets. The outstanding thing is how friendly and helpful the staff are. I would certainly recommend this hotel.

• Liked — Setting
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled as a couple
1 Thank petejones
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed June 12, 2006

We just returned yesterday from this "resort" and will never return! My friend and I booked the Girlfriends Getaway spa package through the hotel. The spa was very relaxing; however there was nothing but aggravation from the hotel. The first desk clerk we encountered was rude. Then at check-in the staff was completely overwhelmed (2 weddings were to occur that weekend), and it took a long time. We were told they did not have time to get our spa voucher made up and they would have it ready later(we had already had 2 spa treatments and had given gratuities).The next day we received our spa voucher and guess what--gratuities were included in our package, something that was not disclosed to us before, nor is it listed on the website. So, the spa technicians had received a 40% gratuity!! The spa and hotel, which are each privately owned, proceeded to blame each other for this. Their solution was to tell us they would collect our gratuities from the technicians--we quickly vetoed that as being tacky and showing lack of class. Now, on to the terrible service at the hotel. Housekeeping did not show up at all after our first night--I went to the desk at 10:30PM to get towels/washcloths/Kleenex. We had booked an extra night in additon to our 2 night package and we were told we had to change rooms. But, we had to move our own belongings!! After complaining to the manager regarding the unacceptable service, we were offered champagne and strawberries or a room discount, which would not have made up for the 3 days of aggravation. Another manager offered to vaguely "take care of things" after we returned home! We insisted that the matter be resolved the same day(before we left) and that our last night's stay be comped--they finally complied. They have alot of nerve calling it a resort when they do not provide resort service!! I could go on but feel this review gives an adequate overview of the poor service we encountered. Will never return!

• Stayed June 2006
21 Thank Amazon77
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed May 28, 2006

First Impression of the property was it was very, very Nice. Small hotel but very intimate. Upon arrival at the front desk they met us and with in 2 minutes we were checked in. Found our room with no problems, we booked a 2 bed balcony room with a view of the Bay. Opened the door to our room 305 and it was VERY small. Smaller then i was expecting an average size room like at a Holiday inn, nothing special. The room was very clean which was a huge plus! Not worth the $200 per night we paid BUT we were in town for a wedding and the Rod N Reel is where the reception was held at so it was very convient.

The breakfast in the moring was very simple, cereals, yogerts, bagles and muffins.

The Boardwalk cafe was great, drinks and food was over priced but the location of it was nice. It was bay front over looking the marina. We actually brought our own beer down (must be in cans) and sat around for several hours at the tables down there and soaked up the sun. They advertise a sun deck, the sun deck is no larger then the balcony off the rooms - so be warned. We planned a day of setting in the sun relaxing prior to the wedding and had to set at the Boardwalk cafe. The indoor swimming pool was very Hot. THey have a very small beach at the resort and could use a few lounge chairs but i was told by the breakfast attendant you are not allowed to go lay down on the beach because of the people eating and they don't want to stare at people in their swimsuits while eating but Heck, we paid $200 PER NIGHT so.... they had no choice but to see us setting around the Boardwalk cafe in swim wear.

Over all, it was OK, it seems like a very nice Romanic get away for a couple, a short walk to a public beach, short walk to Subway for a sandwich, walking distance to the water Park.

Food & drinks at the property was very expenisive ($2 for a bottle of water or soda and $5 at the bars or resturants).

The resturants stunk like stale smoke, i would suggest them open the doors or something because the smell was very gross when you opened the door.

I live 2 hours away and would not really have any reason to go back.

Also be warned if having a reception or wedding at the property. They gave away our friends Honeymoon suite as the hotel was over booked!!!!

• Stayed May 2006
14 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Upper Marlboro, Md
Reviewed April 17, 2006

Definitely not worth the money. I live in this area and had several people coming in from out of state for the weekend (Fri/Sat). There aren't any other places to stay in that area or in the near area. Everything would be a drive. I called about reservations in early March 2006 and was told room prices ranged between $299 and $399 a night and they have a 2 night minimum stay. The front desk isn't very knowledgeable or helpful when it came to answering questions. I was told that they had switched to their summer rates already which I thought was a bit early. I had someone come in last year and the price wasn't that high. After checking out last year my credit card was charged 2x's the nightly rate I was given. When I called them a week later to question the charges they stated they had miss quoted the room rate. I raised heck about it and they ended up crediting my credit card account with the difference. The hotel overall is clean but there is absolutely nothing in that area and no beach area. Honestly, I think they can get away with charging that price because they are the only hotel in that area but honestly...it was going to cost my out of town guests $600 at least for a 2 night stay...that's a mini vacation to an island including airfare in my opinion. NO WAY! Stay in Annapolis.

15 Thank Robin W
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed March 26, 2006

My husband and I were scheduled to celebrate my birthday at The Chesapeake Beach Hotel and Spa on March 25, 2006. We made a reservation for a suite three weeks in advance. When we arrived Saturday afternoon, we were told that all of the suites had a "plumbing problem,” and that a plumber could not be brought in to fix the problem before Monday. Upon further questioning, we were able to determine that others had already checked into suites and that it was just our suite that was unavailable due to “a plumbing problem we don’t want to talk about.” As an alternative room we were shown a small room with a lousy view, and offered a $30 discount if we were to take that room. When we asked were there any better rooms available we were told all of their deluxe rooms were having the bathtubs replaced and were unavailable also. Needless to say, we were very unhappy and chose to cancel the reservation and return home. We had driven over five hours to get there. We could not understand why they did not call us and let us know of these "plumbing" problems.
Upon reflection, it seems to us that the following points need to be made:
It was apparent that this hotel had overbooked the suites, and rather than admit the truth, chose to concoct a “plumbing story.” If I can get a plumber to my residence on the weekend, I find it hard to believe that a plumber couldn’t have been found if indeed, a real plumbing problem had existed. And replacing all the tubs on a weekend (when plumbers aren't available) seemed a little far fetched as well.
The offer of another room at a $30 discount to replace a suite was ludicrous. Anyone desiring a suite would not be happy with the cheapest room at a whopping $30 discount. Having had situations arise at other hotels throughout the country, I can assure you that quality establishments would have made a much fairer offer to keep guests happy.
To top it off, we were asked if we would like to book for another weekend. We declined. We will never go back to this "resort."

• Stayed March 2006
St. Michaels Inn
St. Michaels Inn
#4 of 4 in St. Michaels
SpringHill Suites Prince Frederick
SpringHill Suites Prince Frederi...
#1 of 3 in Prince Frederick
St. Michaels Harbour Inn Marina & Spa
Chesapeake House Tilghman Island

Been to Chesapeake Beach Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!